X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CollegeHockeyRinkReport
    replied
    Re: Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

As someone who was at the press conference and who spoke with Gendron individually, he said he would give both Corkum and Kerluke an opportunity to be evaluated with all the rest of the possible candidates. He said they were both "Maine men" and deserved a chance to be considered. Neither Corkum or Kerluke were at the press conference in the background to the best of my knowledge. I looked around for them. Several players were there including Rutt, Ouellette, Anthoine, Jon Swavely, Norman, O'Connor. I'll have a reaction with quotes up later and will post for anyone interested. I spoke with Ouellette and he seemed to be really excited about the hire and not just in a forced way.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Murray
    replied

Originally posted by revoman View Post
    Flipping the question to you...what would BC have to say to pass muster for you?
    I wouldn't even give him an interview. If I *had* to as a courtesy to my new employers, we would have a nice chat, and I wouldn't retain him.

As a fan of an opposing program, I hate to admit it, but I do think your committee got this hire (Gendron) right. The only way they could mess it up now would be to force an unwanted assistant(s) on him as a condition of the hire, and my guess is that Coach Gendron wouldn't have taken the job in the first place under those conditions.

Leave a comment:

• all bear
    replied

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
    radio guys noted that blaise madonald was in attendance... wonder if gendron is considering him for an assistant position... i know he replaced red when red left umass... he did say they were going to hire the best coaches and recruiters available which would indicate that the current assistants are not going to simply be retained...
    Blaise Im sure would like to have the Alfond on his side for once.

Leave a comment:

• all bear
    replied

Originally posted by BobF View Post
    Based upon the comments I read from the Gendron introduction I certainly think he hit all the right buttons. Does not sound like he will be retaining either Corkum or Kerluke, but maybe reading to much into that?

It goes without saying that we all look forward to having a team that is in great shape and won't be outworked. The grit and work ethic I saw from Yale in Pittsburgh exemplify that.

Gendron certainly has the pedigree and I know we all hope that the committee made the right choice and Red is able to successfully bring Maine back to the tournament on an annual basis!
    Seems to me he's just the right guy to come and play for if you are an inspiring pro hockey player. Knows the game inside and out, has been involved with many championship teams both at the collegiate and pro level, has many contacts at various levels within the game and, as a bonus, speaks fluent french. The campus and arena are easy sells, now we have the hockey guru to help sell it too.

Leave a comment:

• gscott13
    replied

Originally posted by BobF View Post
    Based upon the comments I read from the Gendron introduction I certainly think he hit all the right buttons. Does not sound like he will be retaining either Corkum or Kerluke, but maybe reading to much into that?

It goes without saying that we all look forward to having a team that is in great shape and won't be outworked. The grit and work ethic I saw from Yale in Pittsburgh exemplify that.

Gendron certainly has the pedigree and I know we all hope that the committee made the right choice and Red is able to successfully bring Maine back to the tournament on an annual basis!
    radio guys noted that blaise madonald was in attendance... wonder if gendron is considering him for an assistant position... i know he replaced red when red left umass... he did say they were going to hire the best coaches and recruiters available which would indicate that the current assistants are not going to simply be retained...

Leave a comment:

• BobF
    replied

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied
    Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    I hope you're right but fear it could be more complicated than that. A lot has changed since it was consistently packed.
    I'll bet the ticket office has already gotten many calls on season tickets. Do I expect 20 sellouts next year? Nope but I'll bet there are some

Leave a comment:

• Drew S.
    replied
    the one and only way it's going to happen... by winning. by outworking every opponent. by being the best conditioned team on the ice every time they pull the game sweaters on....
    I hope you're right but fear it could be more complicated than that. A lot has changed since it was consistently packed.

Leave a comment:

• all bear
    replied

the one and only way it's going to happen... by winning. by outworking every opponent. by being the best conditioned team on the ice every time they pull the game sweaters on....
    If they win, they will come....if they work hard, they will come...fact is, the Mainuhs know good hockey. Do they have to win all the time...hell no, but they want to see the effort put in, and they want to see the guys playing smart hockey again.

Leave a comment:

• gscott13
    replied

Did they talk about how they are going to fill the Alfond again? I only saw Abbott's bit and thought he did a good job. I'm glad Grant and Garth were involved.

Leave a comment:

• Drew S.
    replied
    Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    "Did Maine hockey get better today? Did I get better today?"
    He said all the right things. Now the job begins.
    Did they talk about how they are going to fill the Alfond again? I only saw Abbott's bit and thought he did a good job. I'm glad Grant and Garth were involved.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    "Did Maine hockey get better today? Did I get better today?"
    He said all the right things. Now the job begins.

Leave a comment:

• amherstblackbear
    replied

Completely disagree with this. Lack of talent at goaltender, yes, but not the rest of the team. Even for as bad as Maine was last year they went 5-3-1 against the three teams in hockey east that made the NCAA's. How do you pull that off with no talent?
    You pull that off when other teams don't respect you enough to bring their best. There were much more talented Maine teams that never swept BC at BC, but they didn't have the luxury of anonymity.

Leave a comment:

• gscott13
    replied

blaise mcdonald in attendance.... interesting....

Leave a comment:

• gscott13
    replied

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    92.9 FM dale and Clem are here people starting to sit down
    thanks. video from gbb kept buffering

Leave a comment:

Working...
X