Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OHIO STATE. Who will be the new 2013/14 Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
    How do you know that Osiecki hasn't been warned, if this is, indeed the case for his firing? And as for the AD and his actions...perhaps he was being proactive.
    Do we all remember Rutgers earlier this month????
    If you read the articles on this site and College Hockey News, the former coach says that there had been no negative discussions with the Athletic Department and that he was shocked by the decision. Also, if it were a case of conduct, why wait over three weeks from the end of their season?
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Re: OHIO STATE. Who will be the new 2013/14 Head Coach?

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
      I have said from the beginning that I didn't think we would get Gwoz. And yes, it is extremely maddening for us fans!

And to respond to THE OHIO STATE I don't care what Oz did or said in the meeting yesterday, you don't fire a coach when you don't have a backup plan! It's obvious they don't have a plan. The "big announcement" today was that Steve Rohlik was made the interim head coach. Are you kidding me?!? We fired a guy who obviously had the program going in the right direction, then we promote one of his assistants?!? Smith and Schneider are complete idiots when it comes to overseeing our hockey program, that is, unless the goal is to bury our hockey program, which they are doing an exemplary job at that!
      If he was fired, perhaps they had no choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
        You know that and I know that but I was saying the AVERAGE Ohio State fan who isn't hockey savvy would go by name RECOGNITION more than anything else when it came to interest in seeing a game here and there. They would only know of the schools in the B1G the football & basketball teams play.
        If it takes name recognition to get butts in the seats, I am all for it. I am at every game cheering for our boys, regardless of who we are playing.

Everyone likes to b**ch about attendance. Again, become a season ticket holder and bring your friends!
        Last edited by GreyGhost; 04-22-2013, 11:05 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by THE OHIO STATE View Post
          My guess he was FIRED due to his attitude. Like it's my way OR the hiway , and the way he treated people around the program. I'm sure he tried to tell the AD's how it was going to be and they told him to hit the " HIWAY. "
          Maybe that is what a hockey coach needs to do at Ohio State in order to get attention and $ for his program.

Comment

wow, I leave the country for a week and you all let things go to hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Draighlicht View Post
              See what you have done?

Comment

Welcome home! And welcome to the discussion! Great timing on this, huh?!? Nothing like firing the coach right before the start of Big Ten Hockey! Now that you are here, what are your thoughts on all this?

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                  Agree with 5mn_Major; consistent coverage on BTN will be an asset to the OSU program. That consistency is very important for attracting the casual fan. No doubt his Gophers have benefited greatly from having virtually comprehensive television coverage over the years.

The situation here at OSU has been that only a handful of games per season have been broadcast. Often those broadcasts took a satellite dish and a fair amount of devotion to find. For example, hard core fans would track down a game on FSN Detroit with a dish, either at home or a sports bar. But the casual fan would be completely unaware of such a broadcast.

Here's to hoping that the head coach applicants will view the coming BTN coverage as a large plus when evaluating what OSU has to offer.
                  You can't understate the magnitude of importance ongoing TV coverage has. For OSU, the reinforcement of the program over key recruiting grounds (including MN) and the reinforcement of the B1G brand as THE conference to be in...will all be driven home by BTN.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Yeah, you missed the deadline by a day to apply!

Comment

Welcome home! And welcome to the discussion! Great timing on this, huh?!? Nothing like firing the coach right before the start of Big Ten Hockey! Now that you are here, what are your thoughts on all this?
                      Let's start with being appalled. Everyone is speculating but no one seems to know why this happened. I won't add to the speculation so I don't have much to say.

My biggest fear is that this will decimate recruiting for five or six years, and I really liked the way recruiting was heading. I also think that depending on who the replacement is we may see a mass exodus of drafted payers to the NHL, AHL and ECHL. Right now I think I would prefer that Steve Rohlik stay on for at least this coming year as head coach or assistant - just for some continuity. And don't let Joe Exter get way either..

Since they took the posting down I hope they spent today sending out thank you for applying and now go away letters to Paul Pooley, Dave Smith and a few others.

Comment

Let's start with being appalled. Everyone is speculating but no one seems to know why this happened. I won't add to the speculation so I don't have much to say.

My biggest fear is that this will decimate recruiting for five or six years, and I really liked the way recruiting was heading. I also think that depending on who the replacement is we may see a mass exodus of drafted payers to the NHL, AHL and ECHL. Right now I think I would prefer that Steve Rohlik stay on for at least this coming year as head coach or assistant - just for some continuity. And don't let Joe Exter get way either..

Since they took the posting down I hope they spent today sending out thank you for applying and now go away letters to Paul Pooley, Dave Smith and a few others.
                        I think appalled is a good word to describe the way some of us (not all) feel. I definitely have the same fears about recruiting and losing some of the current players. The timing of this couldn't be worse. Many here seem to want Rohlik to stay on. I guess that would be alright in the short term, although I think the program would be better off with someone who has been a head coach and is a proven winner rather than an assistant who is unproven as a head coach. It's tough when you fire a coach at this stage in the game, but I would like to see OSU bring in a proven winner who is willing to stick around and finish the job.

Comment

I think appalled is a good word to describe the way some of us (not all) feel. I definitely have the same fears about recruiting and losing some of the current players. The timing of this couldn't be worse. Many here seem to want Rohlik to stay on. I guess that would be alright in the short term, although I think the program would be better off with someone who has been a head coach and is a proven winner rather than an assistant who is unproven as a head coach. It's tough when you fire a coach at this stage in the game, but I would like to see OSU bring in a proven winner who is willing to stick around and finish the job.
                          I can guarantee any "proven winner" would be asking a LOT of questions about why this firing happened and Oz's version may already be circulating out there in the coaching circle making all give pause.
                          No one is going to want to pull up stakes and relocate their family here if they feel their tenure could be as precarious as their predecessor.
                          If the athletic department isn't in panic mode then they should be to get a new coach in here in a hurry and not just any coach but the right coach. So much more can go wrong than right at this point.
                          Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 04-22-2013, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                            I can guarantee any "proven winner" would be asking a LOT of questions about why this firing happened and Oz's version may already be circulating out there in the coaching circle making all give pause.
                            No one is going to want to pull up stakes and relocate their family here if they feel their tenure could be as precarious as their predecessor.
                            If the athletic department isn't in panic mode then they should be to get a new coach in here in a hurry and not just any coach but the right coach. So much more can go wrong than right at this point.
                            Exactly, and no one could blame a potential candidate for wanting to know what happened with the previous coach! It goes without saying that the rest of the NCAA hockey world (and any potential coaching candidates) have taken notice of this knee-jerk firing, and from what I have read, OSU didn't exactly endear themselves to the rest of college hockey with this move. This was obviously not a well thought out move by the athletic department and I would guess they are in panic mode at this point as they may not have too many takers on the position based on how this was handled. I honestly haven't seen OSU botch a firing like this since, maybe, the Earle Bruce firing. This one is going to leave a mark because it will be hard to get someone to take the job and I am not convinced that the entire roster and recruits are going to remain intact just because we promoted one of Osiecki's assistants.
                            Last edited by osualum86; 04-22-2013, 08:59 PM.

Comment

If they don't get that "qualified candidate" Rohlik may become head coach by default. Again I can't say that would be a bad thing, I just don't know but I feel no matter who they get osualum86 is right, this situation will undoubtedly leave a mark!
                              On a side note I spent the weekend at "that school up north" and the athletic department people who I interacted with are just as puzzled about this as we are and thought we had things moving in the right direction.
                              Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 04-22-2013, 09:26 PM.

Comment

With the guys that are returning supporting Rohlik, Rohlik probably the guy who recruited most of the kids coming in. Is it a panic choice to give it to him? I don't think so. Better choices.... maybe, but really name them. Gwozdecki might work but I dont know who else I would consider a better candidate.
                                I think we do have things going in the right direction. There is a very strong nucleus coming back. Havent heard of anyone leaving. We just need a commitment for the "right" arena
                                Last edited by Dump it In; 04-22-2013, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X