North Dakota Offseason Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Dakota Offseason Thread

Probably about time we had one of these....

Brad Schlossman will be on with Fox Sports Radio 1410 in Bismarck tonight at 9 PM talking about the season, offseason, and the Frozen Four...

Link for those outside the Bismarck-Mandan area that want to listen
    Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
    Originally posted by Quizmire
    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
    I am a fan of MNS.

Re: North Dakota Offseason Thread

Thanks MNS.
    "My greatest achievement."
    Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

I met Doc Sander last night after the games, what a nice man. He looked great in his green vest and hat with all the pins. There was a picture of him in the Pittsburgh newspaper, but not in the online edition that I could find. Here is the text of the article.

When Larry Sander went to his first Frozen Four in 1984, he noticed that some fans wore pins commemorating the college hockey championship events they had attended. To be frank, Dr. Sander, a young family physician living in Orrville, Ohio, thought that seemed a pretty stupid thing to do.
      Thursday afternoon, he sat in the lobby of the Cambria Suites, Downtown, his hair now mostly white, and was sporting a bright green vest and a bright green bowler hat adorned by hundreds of pins representing many of the nearly 30 Frozen Fours he has been to since that first one in Lake Placid, N.Y.
      Back then, Dr. Sander's game attire blended in. He was cheering on his alma mater, the University of North Dakota, and so he wore Fighting Sioux gear. Thursday, his garb made sense only if you understood what it means to be a diehard college hockey fan.
      "I should point out that normally he's a quite rational person," said Margaret Sander, his wife.
      "She's suggesting that this is not rational," Dr. Sander deadpanned.
      Larry Sander has also been to a Final Four. He agrees that there is just something different about hockey's version.
      "It's much friendlier," Dr. Sander said. "If you look at all the sweaters that are on, you'll get 25 teams, but only four are here."
      The Sanders met at North Dakota in 1966. They cheered for the hockey team together for many years before deciding to attend the 1984 Frozen Four. Before they knew it, they were hooked.
      "It's kind of like a reunion, in a way," Mrs. Sander said. "A reunion of like minds."
      For all of the Frozen Four faithful, there have been times when their loyalty to the event has been tested. For Dr. Sander, that moment came in 2001.
      They had planned to take their daughter, Melanie, on a Caribbean cruise for her 16th birthday in early April. But when North Dakota made the Frozen Four in Albany, N.Y. -- the same weekend as the cruise -- Dr. Sander became consumed with getting a guarantee that the cruise ship would have the ability to broadcast the games.
      "I got so tired of it," Mrs. Sander said, "so he stayed home from the ship."
      Dr. Sander went with Mrs. Sander's mother, also a North Dakota fan, to the Frozen Four. Mrs. Sander went with their daughter to Aruba and Curacao. After the trip, Mrs. Sander's preference said everything about her family's love affair with college hockey's big event.
      "I'm not a cruise person," Mrs. Sander said. "I kind of wished I was at the Frozen Four."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2QJ2EmV9K
      Last edited by LTsatch; 04-12-2013, 09:27 PM.
      YALE HOCKEY
      2013 National Champions

Comment

Looks like we'll be the only team to have had a lead on Yale this tournament.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Kristo named 1st team All-America, Knight 2nd team. Nice honor for two deserving players.
          Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Final Through these Doors year end video: http://www.undsports.com/mediaPortal...b_oem_id=13500

They do such a great job on this production and letting fans see the players up close.

That last scene as the players leave the outdoor game in Omaha is priceless. As a player, how great would it be to play in front of these fans and see 12,000 in the stands at every home game!

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
              Nice article. Thanks for posting.
              University of North Dakota

National Championships: 8
              Frozen Fours: 22
              Conference Titles: 17
              14 consecutive NCAA tournament appearances

Comment

you think hakstol wants to ever see yale again in a ncaa tourney? think we all know where the best coach in college hockey lives.......

Comment

Originally posted by ezac View Post
                  you think hakstol wants to ever see yale again in a ncaa tourney? think we all know where the best coach in college hockey lives.......
                  Hi Troll.
                  Last edited by darker98; 04-19-2013, 01:38 PM.
                  "My greatest achievement."
                  Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by ecac View Post
                    ...Minneapolis comes to mind.
                    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                      ...Minneapolis comes to mind.
                      Brad Frost had a heck of a season ... good point.
                      A Fan of the UND Fighting Sioux!! Sioux the NCAA!

Comment

Did Yale really have a great season? In all seriousness, they were one CCHA game away from not making the national tournament. You can't say they were 'on a roll' at the end of the year given their ECAC tournament performance. Heck, only one team in the FF actually won their conference tournament; UM-Lowell! Yale had a good season and a phenomenal national tournament. It was refreshing to NOT see BC, Michigan and a few others not make the NT or FF.
                        A Fan of the UND Fighting Sioux!! Sioux the NCAA!

Comment

Originally posted by siouxinminny View Post
                          Brad Frost had a heck of a season ... good point.
                          Nope. Coach Yeo, college coaches don't hold a candle to NHL coaches.
                          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by ecac View Post
                            Either Lowell or Newton, take your pick.
                            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                            Skating Friar Jersey
                            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                              Nope. Coach Yeo, college coaches don't hold a candle to NHL coaches.
                              1) That would be St. Paul
                              2) He did specify college
                              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                              Originally posted by Quizmire
                              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Working...
                              X