Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: most successful program - next year

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
    Fact: Some fans and apparently some programs believe recruiting more and higher draft picks is essential to success.
    Fact: Teams with more and higher draft picks were NOT successful in this year's playoff tournament - even teams with FIVE TIMES as many draft picks as their opponent.
    Fact: SCSU [not ECAC] had a fine season with just five draft picks.

Nothing cute here- just reality. Why did ECAC teams and SCSU have relatively few draft picks? I have no idea, but the reason doesn't change their record. At least consider the possibility that acquiring the maximum number of draft picks may not be critically important to the performance of college hockey teams.

BTW: Beginning a sentence with "You think . . ." does not improve its credibility.
    It is a faulty premise, though. You think Don Lucia or Dave Hakstol bases who they are recruiting on whether they are NHL draft picks? No. They recruit based on who they think are the best players, or the players that best fit their system. They start recruiting these guys before they are even drafted, in some cases 2 years before.
    Originally posted by SJHovey
    Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
    Originally posted by Brenthoven
    We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
      It is a faulty premise, though. You think Don Lucia or Dave Hakstol bases who they are recruiting on whether they are NHL draft picks? No. They recruit based on who they think are the best players, or the players that best fit their system. They start recruiting these guys before they are even drafted, in some cases 2 years before.
      Do you really think logic will work?

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
        Fact: Putting fact on any statement makes it true.
        Fact: Logic is not important. The only important point is to start the statement with "Fact:".
        Fact: Beginning a sentence with "Fact:" improves its credibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
          You think I should just give up? I am trying my best.
          Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
          We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

First somebody tells me what I think. Then somebody tells me I have a faulty premise but does not specify what it is, probably because I offered no "premise" - faulty or otherwise. Finally somebody declares that total number of draft picks and won-lost records are not facts and should not be identified as such.
            The prize for the most insightful comment goes to: "Logic doesn't work."

Comment

First somebody tells me what I think. Then somebody tells me I have a faulty premise but does not specify what it is, probably because I offered no "premise" - faulty or otherwise. Finally somebody declares that total number of draft picks and won-lost records are not facts and should not be identified as such.
              The prize for the most insightful comment goes to: "Logic doesn't work."
              Your premise is that coaches are trying to "acquire the maximum number of draft picks". Otherwise, what the **** is the point of this thread? Just a masturbatory exercise?

Comment

Fact: Some fans and apparently some programs believe recruiting more and higher draft picks is essential to success.
                Fact: Apparently some fans might not necessarily disagree with part of what you seem to be implying. Jeebus Oso, we're all idiots here a fair share of the time, but you really excel at it.
                Last edited by burd; 04-12-2013, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Fact: Teams with more and higher draft picks were NOT successful in this year's playoff tournament - even teams with FIVE TIMES as many draft picks as their opponent.
                  Fact: SCSU [not ECAC] had a fine season with just five draft picks.

Nothing cute here- just reality. Why did ECAC teams and SCSU have relatively few draft picks? I have no idea, but the reason doesn't change their record. At least consider the possibility that acquiring the maximum number of draft picks may not be critically important to the performance of college hockey teams.

BTW: Beginning a sentence with "You think . . ." does not improve its credibility.
                  I will tell you, dumbass. The NHL drafts young players with talent. These players have to show their talent before they are 20 years old. They then try and sign these players before 3 years of school are completed. This hurts teams with young talent, say Minnesota, or UND, or Michigan, and helps teams with overage players, like this years FF teams. To win this year, you had to make sure your players were not good enough to be taken by the NHL last year, and then have them old enough that the age factor overcomes their lesser talent.
                  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                  Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

It may be that the best pro hockey prospects make not only the best college hockey players but the best college hockey teams. This year's results may be a freak of chance. Or in general the motives or personal goals or playing style or compatibility with academic expectations differ significantly between pro draft picks and other college hockey recruits - and these differences affect team performance. Time will tell, but if you are sure of what the future will bring why bother to think about or respond to such unpleasant possibilities?

Comment

It may be that the best pro hockey prospects make not only the best college hockey players but the best college hockey teams. This year's results may be a freak of chance. Or in general the motives or personal goals or playing style or compatibility with academic expectations differ significantly between pro draft picks and other college hockey recruits - and these differences affect team performance. Time will tell, but if you are sure of what the future will bring why bother to think about or respond to such unpleasant possibilities?
                      Like I said, tired old and without significant import.
                      No one other than a handful of clods would argue that a large number of NHL draft picks dictates success. At the same time, only a handful of clods would argue that getting guys good enough to have NHL clubs interested in them to play for your team (and then getting those guys to stick around and develop in the college game) doesn't increase the team's potential. The reasons for both are clear and easy to discern.

For what it's worth, only 1 in 4 teams across the rest of Div. 1 hockey had more draft picks than Yale. In terms of pro prospects, Yale was one of the top teams this year.

And I'll say again, if teams like Yale and Quinnipiac were able to get more commitments from guys with the talent and size to be on the NHL Draft radar, then teams like Yale and Quinnipiac would have even more guys than they already do who are NHL draft picks. And that may be a change we are starting to see. This year, 11 out of the 12 teams in the ECAC had NHL drafted talent on their roster, and 75% of the league had multiple draftees.

Comment

Working...
                      X