Minnesota Gophers Offesason Thread: Back To 1896

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Offesason Thread: Back To 1896

Hmmm. I like Skjei, but I don't know that he will be the most gifted defenseman in his pairing....from USCHO:

Perhaps the most gifted defenseman in the NCAA, Skjei had some adjustments to make when he arrived in the Twin Cities last fall.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
      Starting off, I'd guess he will play 3rd or 4th line roles. He's skilled but he's a pretty solid two way guy that would fit those lower line responsibilities well. He'll get his nose in there and do some of the dirty work. More gritty (he's not tall but he has a solid frame). He's a guy opponents will hate. Agitator type. He'll need to be careful in that sense since you don't want to hurt the team. Kind of like Westrum in some respects. He's more of a goal scorer than a set up man.
      Thanks for the info Hammy.

Curious what you or anyone else thinks about Connor Reilly and what role he can play this year being an older "freshman"?
      Originally posted by CavalryNate
      Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
        Keep your seat belt buckled. Could be pretty inconsistent to start the year. The non-conference schedule to start the season is brutally hard.
        It should definitely give us all a good idea by the end of October as to how the team is actually playing. Shame the same can never be said for, oh, say the bouncyball team at the end of their non-conference schedule.

Comment

http://www.gophersports.com/blog/201...atch-list.html

From Gophersports

Earlier today, Minnesota sophomore goaltender Adam Wilcox was listed by USCHO.com as one of 10 goalies to watch for the 2013-14. The South St. Paul, Minn., native was named to the Big Ten Conference's Preseason Players to Watch list earlier this month after one of the best rookie seasons in Gopher Hockey history.

In 2012-13, Wilcox set a new single-season program record with a 1.88 GAA and also tied Kellen Briggs for the Minnesota rookie wins record. As a freshman, the netminder was named Third Team All-Big Ten and helped Minnesota to a share of its second-straight WCHA MacNaughton Cup (fourth in eight years) as well as the program's 34th NCAA tournament appearance. Wilcox ranked second in the nation in wins and third in the NCAA in minutes played at 2,331.

Minnesota hosts Lethbridge at 7 p.m. this Saturday in exhibition action before opening the 2013-14 regular season the following weekend with the Ice Breaker Tournament.
          Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
            Thanks for the info Hammy.

Curious what you or anyone else thinks about Connor Reilly and what role he can play this year being an older "freshman"?
            Lucia had said last year that he was going to be a top 9 forward for them before his injury. Id guess the guertler suspension will solidify connor in the lineup through October but he will be rusty coming off two knee injuries

Comment

Season must be approaching. This was middle of second page after only a day.

Don't know much about him, other than he seemed to have put up some pretty good stats. But I am hoping Conner is a solid contributor, as age does often seem to make a noticeable difference in college in strength, smarts and intensity when needed. How many times have we seen it in the past where the younger, more talented team (often the Gophs) is on the ropes against the noticeably less talented, but clearly older team.

Comment

FSN tv schedule

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/ncaa/m...dcast-schedule
                Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qsd...yer_detailpage

Coach Lucia and a couple players talk to the media.

No embedding
                  sigpic

Comment

So did anyone pick last nights lines correctly? I'm guessing not.

Comment

Isn't it time to ditch the OFFSEASON thread for a SEASON thread? And don't forget an icon to make it easy for us to find, since it is the most important team in the Nation.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                        Close (I didn't know Warning was out at the time):

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                        1st line: Warning, Rau, Best of the rest (Fasching, Ambroz, or Isackson)

2nd line: Cammarata, Condon, Kloos
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by Koho View Post
                          Isn't it time to ditch the OFFSEASON thread for a SEASON thread? And don't forget an icon to make it easy for us to find, since it is the most important team in the Nation.
                          +1.5
                          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Since it's on GPL, might as well put it here, too. tDon ran the Twin Cities Marathon today. His stats:

http://www.mtecresults.com/runner/sh...6908&race=1760
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

BTW- on an unrelated note, can someone half my age help me here? Every time I refresh or open a new USCHO page, my Avast tells me it blocked a Trojan Horse. Looks related to an ad for Gander Mtn or something. Is there anything I can do about this. Also seems to happen on Intellicast. Anyone else having this issue?

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                                They changed around even before Marshall and Connor Reilly were ejected, but this is how Minnesota started. Ryan Reilly never played defense and all 3 goalies played Saturday. Coyne got a nice ovation for his Gopher debut.

Forwards

Hudson Fasching - Kyle Rau - Vinni Lettieri

Nate Condon - Justin Kloos - Taylor Cammarata

Connor Reilly - Travis Boyd - Christian Isackson

Tom Serratore - A.J. Michaelson - Seth Ambroz

Ryan Reilly - Empty - Christian Horn

Defense

Brady Skjei - Justin Holl

Mike Reilly - Michael Brodzinski

Jake Parenteau - Ben Marshall

Jake Bischoff

Goaltenders

Adam Wilcox

Michael Shibrowski

Ryan Coyne
                                M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A