Minnesota Gophers Offesason Thread: Back To 1896

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
    Brilliant!!!! Why didn't I think of that?

And 4four4, I don't think there is a waiting list anymore. I know for last season you could walk up to the ticket office a buy season tickets.
    There isn't. The forced "donation" for certain areas killed it.
    the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Offesason Thread: Back To 1896

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
      Brilliant!!!! Why didn't I think of that?

And 4four4, I don't think there is a waiting list anymore. I know for last season you could walk up to the ticket office a buy season tickets.
      Thanks.
      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

I dunno. Personally, I'd just buy next season's tickets, and see what happens.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Cammy, Kloos, Fasching, Guertler, Brodzinski, Bischoff, Vannelli, and Lettieri are enrolled in summer classes at the U. Barring a late addition, that is your incoming class for 2013-2014.
          University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
            Cammy, Kloos, Fasching, Guertler, Brodzinski, Bischoff, Vannelli, and Lettieri are enrolled in summer classes at the U. Barring a late addition, that is your incoming class for 2013-2014.
            Thanks for the update Hammy. Youser! This is one helluva an impressive incoming class. Let's hope the transition is as seamless as possible.

Comment

They'll be a young club and I am sure there will be some inconsistency at times because of it. But we'll have a really good goalie and some quality experienced defensemen that will likely keep the opposition to around 2 goals a game most nights so they'll have a good chance to have a pretty good season. I think the incoming guys will be a fun group to watch develop and I am excited for next season.
              University of Minnesota

Comment

They'll be a young club and I am sure there will be some inconsistency at times because of it. But we'll have a really good goalie and some quality experienced defensemen that will likely keep the opposition to around 2 goals a game most nights so they'll have a good chance to have a pretty good season. I think the incoming guys will be a fun group to watch develop and I am excited for next season.
                I'm really looking forward to seeing what this group will do. The scoring potential is definitely there for next season. Cammy was just honored again yesterday by the USHL:

Almost one year to the day after the United States Hockey League conferred its Rookie of the Year award on Taylor Cammarata last spring, the league has recognized the Waterloo Black Hawks’ top scorer as both its Forward and Player of the Year for 2012-13...He is the first player in USHL history to claim either title after being named Rookie of the Year the prior season.
                He really packs a lot of dynamic scoring ability into a small frame. I'm not going out on a limb and trying to make any rigid comparison here at this stage and both players obviously have different playing styles, but I did find it intriguing that Cammy's numbers this past season are very similar to Thomas Vanek's in his final season in the USHL:

THOMAS VANEK: 2001-02 Sioux Falls Stampede GP/53, G/46, A/45, PTS/91
                TAYLOR CAMMARATA: 2012-13 Waterloo Black Hawks GP/59, G/38, A/55, PTS/93

Comment

Cammy, Kloos, Fasching, Guertler, Brodzinski, Bischoff, Vannelli, and Lettieri
                  Screw Michigan, there is your #1 recruiting class!

These guys should be fun to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                    I'm really looking forward to seeing what this group will do. The scoring potential is definitely there for next season. Cammy was just honored again yesterday by the USHL:

He really packs a lot of dynamic scoring ability into a small frame. I'm not going out on a limb and trying to make any rigid comparison here at this stage and both players obviously have different playing styles, but I did find it intriguing that Cammy's numbers this past season are very similar to Thomas Vanek's in his final season in the USHL:

THOMAS VANEK: 2001-02 Sioux Falls Stampede GP/53, G/46, A/45, PTS/91
                    TAYLOR CAMMARATA: 2012-13 Waterloo Black Hawks GP/59, G/38, A/55, PTS/93
                    Good post. What about their comparative ages?

In 30+ years, Vanek was the best player I've ever seen wear a Gopher uniform.

Go Gophers!

Comment

I appreciate the Vanek/Cammy numbers thing. Although I think Vanek had it tougher in that the USHL has gotten younger since his days. You see a lot more younger players playing in the league these days than we did ten years ago when Vanek was lighting it up. Still, Cammy had a great year. I already teased him on twitter that I am setting the bar at 40+ pts for him as a frosh. He is definitely capable of it. Some of it will depend on if the guys around him finish well as Cammy has amazing play making skills and his linemates will definitely benefit with opportunities to put the puck in the net.

It should be a fun year. I think we'll see a lot of creativity with the puck with these guys. I expect the power play to be very good. If we play responsibly on defense (not get too loose with the defense pushing the offense) and Wilcox plays as well as he did this past season, we'll be in good shape.
                      University of Minnesota

Comment

I appreciate the Vanek/Cammy numbers thing. Although I think Vanek had it tougher in that the USHL has gotten younger since his days. You see a lot more younger players playing in the league these days than we did ten years ago when Vanek was lighting it up. Still, Cammy had a great year. I already teased him on twitter that I am setting the bar at 40+ pts for him as a frosh. He is definitely capable of it. Some of it will depend on if the guys around him finish well as Cammy has amazing play making skills and his linemates will definitely benefit with opportunities to put the puck in the net.

It should be a fun year. I think we'll see a lot of creativity with the puck with these guys. I expect the power play to be very good. If we play responsibly on defense (not get too loose with the defense pushing the offense) and Wilcox plays as well as he did this past season, we'll be in good shape.
                        Very true about a younger USHL these days. I was reading an article recently about the youngest player ever in the USHL, who plays with the Cedar Rapids Roughriders. He's 15 and has to be chauffeured to games and practices since he's too young to have a driver's license.

Cammy actually knows Vanek and played for Vanek's AAA team, the ITR 26ers, before going to Waterloo:

And even though the season at Shattuck is finished, the pair (Cammy played with Nathan MacKinnon/Halifax at Shattuck & ITR 26ers; and who is expected to go in the 1st rd./top 3 in the 2013 NHL draft) is still on the ice, this time as members of the ITR 26ers. The team, run by Buffalo Sabres star and former Minnesota Golden Gopher Thomas Vanek, plays several tourneys in the summer and acts as a bridge between seasons. One bonus of playing for the 26ers is the chance to grab some face time with Vanek himself and get some expert advice on how to develop as a player.

“After the NHL season, he comes and helps run the camp,” Cammarata said. “He said he really liked going to the University of Minnesota and he really likes the college route.”
                        Hey, set the bar high...he's seems capable of 40+. The only criticism I've seen on Cammy is a hesitation to dig in the corners and fight for position in front for dirty goals.

Comment

So I think its awesome that the school is supporting MN hockey by playing most of our instate rivals.

Does anyone think that 8 games against UMD, MSM, SCSU and BSU is one series too many?
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                            So I think its awesome that the school is supporting MN hockey by playing most of our instate rivals.

Does anyone think that 8 games against UMD, MSM, SCSU and BSU is one series too many?
                            Who would you replace one of the series with? UND? All the Minnesota schools should play the U.
                            Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                            dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                            wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post

Glad you still have Kato on the schedule. Of course, you have a lot of scheduling flexibility as long as the BT is only a 6 team conference. If a couple more teams (Nebraska? Illinois?) start hockey programs, I'm guessing there will be fewer Maverick games and banned Beaver threads.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                                Who would you replace one of the series with? UND? All the Minnesota schools should play the U.
                                Its May, just looking to discuss some topic. Its fine the way it is or a change of one series would be fine also. We could have a one series against mankato and scsu...another against UMD and BSU...and the MN cup. That would guarentee multiple games against several MN schools...and still retain the MN tourney. At this point, we are playing nobody else from the region (new wcha or nchc).
                                Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X