Minnesota Gophers Offesason Thread: Back To 1896

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Gophers Offesason Thread: Back To 1896

Sounds like Mark Alt has signed with Philly, the news is floating around twitter.
    Originally posted by CavalryNate
    Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
      Sounds like Mark Alt has signed with Philly, the news is floating around twitter.
      According to this report from ESPN it's confirmed Mark Alt is gone and has signed with Philly. Crap, he would have been a key leader on D next season.

Comment

Can't say I'm shocked, although I didn't really expect it either.
        By the end of the year the kid was a very good (albeit an unflashy) defenseman. And I think he displayed moments of ability in rushing the puck and joining the attack. I'll be surprised if he doesn't get some kind of stint n the NHL. He's got all the physical attributes to play at that level, he just needs a bit of experience and confidence in my opinion.

Things are going to be looking a little different next season. Losing so many big bodies, next year's Gophers might return to a team that thrives on Olympic ice and the added space that it provides. And we may be watching a team that has the ability to grow considerably as the season progresses. I find that prospect exciting. While it might mean we may struggle at times and have a hard time locking down a #1 seed or winning a regular season championship, it leaves the door open for a group that can come together at the right time and make a run in the postseason.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
          Can't say I'm shocked, although I didn't really expect it either.
          By the end of the year the kid was a very good (albeit an unflashy) defenseman. And I think he displayed moments of ability in rushing the puck and joining the attack. I'll be surprised if he doesn't get some kind of stint n the NHL. He's got all the physical attributes to play at that level, he just needs a bit of experience and confidence in my opinion.

Things are going to be looking a little different next season. Losing so many big bodies, next year's Gophers might return to a team that thrives on Olympic ice and the added space that it provides. And we may be watching a team that has the ability to grow considerably as the season progresses. I find that prospect exciting. While it might mean we may struggle at times and have a hard time locking down a #1 seed or winning a regular season championship, it leaves the door open for a group that can come together at the right time and make a run in the postseason.
          I agree, Mark Alt played some pretty good shutdown D as the season progressed. His offensive numbers were down this season (both he and Helgy were scoreless this season), but defensively he definitely improved, blocked a lot of shots and a +18 was second only to Haula.

We should still be ok on D although of course younger with Skjei, Reilly, Marshall, and Parenteau...maybe Holl goes back on D?

Helgy signed with NJ Devils affiliate Albany.

Comment

Bjugs made his NHL debut last Sat. night in the Panthers 4-3 loss to the Washington Capitals. Ovechkin recorded his 12th career hat trick and an assist to put the Caps up 4-0.

Nick Bjugstad, one of Florida's three first-round picks in the 2010 draft, made his NHL debut three days after signing an entry-level contract. Bjugstad had a quiet night, although he did have a good scoring opportunity on a wraparound in the second period.

"I was both excited and nervous, but as the game went on I felt a little more comfortable," said Bjugstad, who had 13:04 of ice time and was credited with one shot. "It was good to get the first game under my belt and hopefully I can build off that."
            ******* width="640" height="360" id="evp" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000">****** name="movie" value="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/flex/images/evp.swf" />****** name="flashVars" value="id=235803&img=http://3.cdn.nhle.com/panthers/images/upload/2013/04/Bjugstad-040413.jpg&server=http://video.panthers.nhl.com/videocenter/" />****** name="quality" value="high" />****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true" />****** name="evp" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/flex/images/evp.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" flashVars="id=235803&img=http://3.cdn.nhle.com/panthers/images/upload/2013/04/Bjugstad-040413.jpg&server=http://video.panthers.nhl.com/videocenter/">

Comment

I was out of town for the past week, and just watched the game last night, so am still ****ed, and in denial. I can not be as optimistic as some of you yet. This year was one I was waiting for since last year, especially since Bjugs announced he was returning. Teams with this much talent don't come along very often. Maybe next year's team will surprise me. But I thought the only thing missing this year was age and I think that played a part in the way the season ended. At the end of the year, they could never regain the momentum they had after x-mas, where every player was hustling on every shift. That is what is needed at playoff time. Once they tied the game, they seemed to let up like they had the game. That is how a veteran team plays. Next year's team will be even younger and inexperienced. They have a lot of potential in their recruits, but it is rare that young players come in and give them the consistent effort or can carry a team like older players. I would love to see someone like Cammarata come in and take the league by storm, but it is rare. Hopefully a lot of these players stick around a few years and we see some teams with some age and talent in a couple years. After well over 30 years of watching, it seems like it is getting harder to watch opportunities like this year slip away.

Sorry about the pessimism in what should be a more optimistic thread. I hope next year's team proves me wrong.

By the way, any talk on how many D for next year? I assume they will bring in one early to give them 7?

Comment

Not a surprise, but Wild ink Haula to deal:
                http://wild.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id...id=DL|MIN|home

Comment

My guess for the d:
                  Marshall-Skjei
                  Parenteau-Reilly
                  Brodzinski-Holl

Then for depth bring in Vanelli to rotate in. Bischoff is a wild card with injury concerns. Would probably best for his development to get a full year in the ushl and bring on a walk on type guy since they'd have enough bodies on f to bring one back to the blueline for practice or if two d go down.
                  "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post

Then for depth bring in Vanelli to rotate in. Bischoff is a wild card with injury concerns. Would probably best for his development to get a full year in the ushl and bring on a walk on type guy.
                    They probably won't bring in both Vannelli and Bischoff for depth. Seems like it might be Vannelli, and I'd say he probably plays in at least half of the games.

Comment

The exodus sucks, but I that is how it works with potential NHL players. You only get 3 years out of these guys and than they are forced to leave. I look forward to Ambroz moving up to Budish's role and Mike Reilly having a spot to show his brilliance filling Schmidt's spot. If this was the WCHA as was, the Gophers might not contend for the conference championship, but B1G they have to be favorite if not just behind Wisconsin.
                      Used RCA television $60
                      Monthly Cable bill $40
                      Watching Schutte Cry in the Penalty Box after he got cocky with the crowd earlier.
                      P-R-I-C-E-L-E-S-S

Comment

Originally posted by shiftyjedi View Post
                        The exodus sucks, but I that is how it works with potential NHL players. You only get 3 years out of these guys and than they are forced to leave. I look forward to Ambroz moving up to Budish's role and Mike Reilly having a spot to show his brilliance filling Schmidt's spot. If this was the WCHA as was, the Gophers might not contend for the conference championship, but B1G they have to be favorite if not just behind Wisconsin.
                        Michigan underperformed this year until the end and has the #1 recruiting class coming in, so I wouldn't put them out of the mix. There are too many unknowns when counting on a lot of rookie scoring and counting on other guys to make a jump from one year to the next to say how this team will be.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                          Michigan underperformed this year until the end and has the #1 recruiting class coming in, so I wouldn't put them out of the mix. There are too many unknowns when counting on a lot of rookie scoring and counting on other guys to make a jump from one year to the next to say how this team will be.
                          Yup, I just spent some time looking at the rosters and recruits and I'd say the Gophers, Michigan, and wisconsin are the contenders followed in order by: OSU, MSU, and PSU.

Comment

Every year, Michigan loses at least one recruit to the ohl. This year should be no different, as all three of their ndp kids are flights risks. One or two even said in a recent interview they are still considering their options.
                            "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
                              Every year, Michigan loses at least one recruit to the ohl. This year should be no different, as all three of their ndp kids are flights risks. One or two even said in a recent interview they are still considering their options.
                              Doesn't matter, they still are #1 class.

Comment

Doesn't matter if you take away multiple NHL draft picks? Haha, Gopher and BC classes will be loaded as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X