Minnesota Gophers Offesason Thread: Back To 1896

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hammy View Post
    MNStateofHockey should have done a good, better, best scenario. Get to work!

I never get caught up in line predictions given how often they tend to change early on. But I have to admit that I would feel uneasy about Ambroz in any kind of top 6 role at this stage. I appreciate trying to add some size but I think you have to balance out that factor with whether a guy is going to slow down a line in transition play, etc.

If you want to use the size variable on a top line.... I'm not sure I'd be sold on this move either but I'd actually feel better about Fasching in that role over Ambroz. Fasching adds the good size and is a better skater than Ambroz. Frankly, I wouldn't be averse to throwing Kloos on the top line. The size may not be ideal but the reality is that would be a very difficult group to get a handle on.

I think we shouldn't overlook the potential of guys like Isackson and Michaelson could provide this year. Each has solid size and skate well (especially Michaelson). I wouldn't say either are anything but average as far as scoring but they can play that grind it out role better than they are probably given credit for.

I think the good thing we see is there will be a lot of competition. Which should only help push the team in replacing some of the key guys from last year. This is definitely a highly skilled group but it will be relying on some young guys to produce out of the gate.
    Great feedback Scott. Thanks!
    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

One thing I'd point out right away... Vinni doesn't play center. He's a winger all the way.

Interesting first line. I could see that as a possibility.

I think Warning one of our best lefty forwards. Personally, I like him staying w/ Condon. He has the speed and skill to be there and do well.

I do think some of the line combos I see around the interweb are getting a little too caught up in making sure a line has some "size". I think that variable can be a little overrated. I'm not saying it means nothing but I think you have to balance out a variety of variables well beyond that to make sure you have the right mix. If that means the best fit of guys are all 5'9" or less, then so be it.
      Yeah I didn't know whether lettieri could play center.. I do get a little caught up with balancing size and also whether a guy shoots left or right. Lucia doesn't seem to get caught up with either.. A few years ago Lucia had a line of cepis-haula-barriball so a line of something like warning-rau-kloos wouldn't be out of the question in terms of three smaller players. I'm pretty high on warning too. The only thing I can say with certainty is Lucia's lines will be way different than my predictions. I've tried predicting the opening night lines a couple years now and the forward lines are always way off

Comment

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Offesason Thread: Back To 1896

I might consider lines with:

1st line: Warning, Rau, Best of the rest (Fasching, Ambroz, or Isackson)

2nd line: Cammarata, Condon, Kloos

Cam and Kloos made some pretty sweet music last year...and they may offer more together than independently.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
          I might consider lines with:

1st line: Warning, Rau, Best of the rest (Fasching, Ambroz, or Isackson)

2nd line: Cammarata, Condon, Kloos

Cam and Kloos made some pretty sweet music last year...and they may offer more together than independently.
          How about Cammy and Kloos with Rau on first line?

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
            How about Cammy and Kloos with Rau on first line?
            Given Don's penchant for switching lines regularly, I'm guessing we'll see it at some point.

Starting to get anxious for season to start....not quite like going into last season, where I expected them to be the best in the country, but am hoping a few of these freshman take right off and make things interesting.

Comment

BTW- any word on Scooby's glass? Seems like it could be schizophrenic..very low for all the losses of scoring power and defense, as well as hang-over from end of year disappointment, but optimism for the potential of this freshman class of forwards...

Comment

One thing I'd point out right away... Vinni doesn't play center. He's a winger all the way.

Interesting first line. I could see that as a possibility.

I think Warning one of our best lefty forwards. Personally, I like him staying w/ Condon. He has the speed and skill to be there and do well.

I do think some of the line combos I see around the interweb are getting a little too caught up in making sure a line has some "size". I think that variable can be a little overrated. I'm not saying it means nothing but I think you have to balance out a variety of variables well beyond that to make sure you have the right mix. If that means the best fit of guys are all 5'9" or less, then so be it.
                I don't think we should be too dismissive of size quite yet. The CCHA teams seemed to have more size than WCHA and the play was more physical. We'll have some time to figure it out with the pre B1G season, but I would like to see tDon find a big body who can play on the first line.
                I HATE RED!

I always seem to choose my hand over extremely hot women.
                -BuckyforPrez (2/28/2005)

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                  BTW- any word on Scooby's glass? Seems like it could be schizophrenic..very low for all the losses of scoring power and defense, as well as hang-over from end of year disappointment, but optimism for the potential of this freshman class of forwards...
                  Tis a team that could excel or disappoint. Somewhere between just north of 500 or winning the B1G.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                    They're ranked in the top 10. I'll start out at 75%.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                      Tis a team that could excel or disappoint. Somewhere between just north of 500 or winning the B1G.
                      Keep your seat belt buckled. Could be pretty inconsistent to start the year. The non-conference schedule to start the season is brutally hard.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                        It's fairly long, or as I like to say thorough , but HERE are my season thoughts and predictions.
                        Nice work msoh, I agree with many points.

It's always interesting to see what the line combos will be to start the season, I'm sure they will change often. I actually wouldn't mind the 1st line being smaller and quicker.

When Guertler comes back (hopefully in November) would he be a top 6 type forward? I would imagine so but have never seen him play, just read what's on the interwebs.
                        Originally posted by CavalryNate
                        Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
                          Nice work msoh, I agree with many points.

It's always interesting to see what the line combos will be to start the season, I'm sure they will change often. I actually wouldn't mind the 1st line being smaller and quicker.

When Guertler comes back (hopefully in November) would he be a top 6 type forward? I would imagine so but have never seen him play, just read what's on the interwebs.
                          Thanks man! And thank you for reading. I think Guertler could play top six or bottom six minutes. He's got the skill to playing on a scoring line, but has enough sand paper to his game to play in a checking role. I think he'd be a good 3rd line guy because he would probably give us some scoring on that 3rd line. We know the top two lines will get their fair share of goals.

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
                            Starting off, I'd guess he will play 3rd or 4th line roles. He's skilled but he's a pretty solid two way guy that would fit those lower line responsibilities well. He'll get his nose in there and do some of the dirty work. More gritty (he's not tall but he has a solid frame). He's a guy opponents will hate. Agitator type. He'll need to be careful in that sense since you don't want to hurt the team. Kind of like Westrum in some respects. He's more of a goal scorer than a set up man.
                            University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Starting off, I'd guess he will play 3rd or 4th line roles. He's skilled but he's a pretty solid two way guy that would fit those lower line responsibilities well. He'll get his nose in there and do some of the dirty work. More gritty (he's not tall but he has a solid frame). He's a guy opponents will hate. Agitator type. He'll need to be careful in that sense since you don't want to hurt the team. Kind of like Westrum in some respects. He's more of a goal scorer than a set up man.
                              Yup, a lot like the current #7 too

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                They're ranked in the top 10. I'll start out at 75%.
                                Won't argue with this one....at least not yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X