Comment

• Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
      (Sung to the Oscar Wiener song)

Oh...I want to be a real Gopher homer,
      That is what I truly want to be,
      If I kissed some *** just like a Gopher homer,
      Everyone will be in love with me...

Weeeeee....
      I'm most certainly a Gopher homer, but taking a coach's comments (and information that was widely known before the kid even committed to MInnesota) at face value really has nothing to do with that.

Not sure how the two are even related. Either way, we lost a commitment. We've lost kids to the CHL in the past (for various reasons) and we'll likely lose a few kids in the future. I don't understand how not lamenting about it and taking what was reported at face value makes me or anyone else any more or less of a Gopher homer?

Based on Lucia's comments, the fact that he had to put in extra work to even become eligible to be admitted into the University, the fact that the WHL was an option all along but he still chose the U (and stayed committed to the U for months after being drafted), and the fact that after decommitting he weighed the options of the USHL and WHL for almost a week lead me to believe it had nothing to do with development at the U.
      Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 09-24-2013, 03:57 PM.
      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Offesason Thread: Back To 1896

5 Days ago...

“@andystrickland: Source says Tommy Vannelli left Minn for personal reasons. weighing his options. Medicine Hat owns his CHL rights Tri Cities #USHL #stlblues”

Today...

“@chrismpeters: Vannelli was said to be weighing options between joining USHL's Tri-City or the WHL. Ultimately chose MedHat, NCAA eligibility gone for good”

Are they Gopher Homer's too???
        Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 09-24-2013, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Let me guess, the latest conspiracy theory is that after getting drafted by St Louis they wanted him to de commit and go to the WHL, but St Louis wanted him to wait until two weeks into the school year because they really wanted to make it as tough of a loss as possible for Lucia (because the brass at St Louis can't stand tDon and company). And to cover their tracks, they had him tell people that he was considering his options between the USHL and the WHL for nearly a week before committing to Medicine Hat.

My God man, let it go.
          Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 09-24-2013, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
            My God man, let it go.
            I'm not your God...man. That would be Hammy Handjob.

Comment

• Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
              I'm not your God...man. That would be Hammy Handjob.
              Clever.

Comment

The Star Tribune is reporting that Tommy Vannelli was last seen running through campus clutching a stolen pair of Uggs screaming "Winter is coming" in an English accent and pretending to sword fight white walkers.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vannelli
                "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  Why is he taking classes? I thought he hated school and that's why he quit?
                  Pressure from Family? Guilt? Much like half the people in Community College, they feel like they should?

Lou Nanne was on with Bump yesterday afternoon. When asked why Vanelli decommited, Nanne said that college isn't for everyone. Pretty much goes along with the poor student rumors. Maybe he got his grades from summer session and saw the writing on the wall?

Or maybe he just likes playing in the middle of nowhere away from family and friends.
                  I HATE RED!

I always seem to choose my hand over extremely hot women.
                  -BuckyforPrez (2/28/2005)

Comment

Only reason he would say he's taking classes is because he's heard what people say about his academic ability.

Comment

Umm... people need realize that doing academics in the WHL is not on par with the academic demands in NCAA... it's like going part time to a community college.

As for the comments of Harley, I don't want to be too critical of him. I recall the last time he got put in his place by several people here (I believe he cried over it because it was a bunch of us evil GPLers), he disappeared from this board like a little baby for a number of months because he felt picked on. Maybe he's got his big boy pants on now though. lol. If he knew anything, he wouldn't have to spend so much time writing multiple paragraph posts trying to appear like he knows anything.
                      Last edited by Hammy; 09-25-2013, 08:44 PM.
                      University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                        TV at one time wanted to attend the University of Minnesota. But being a top NHL draft choice can cause attitudes and career goals to suddenly change. IMO he got his eyes on the prize and wants to take the preferred CHL route with plenty of ice time exposure to get there asap.

If and when he signs with MH, he better start an extensive weight lifting program immediately. The WHL is notoriously the most violent and has the most fighting of any of the three CHL leagues (2012 WHL season averaged 2 fights/game). I suspect he might get his *** kicked more than a couple times.
                        FYI (for your information)- IMO generally stands for "In my opinion." This was a guess, not an opinion. IMO, it was also a fail.
                        I HATE RED!

I always seem to choose my hand over extremely hot women.
                        -BuckyforPrez (2/28/2005)

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
                          Umm... people need realize that doing academics in the WHL is not on par with the academic demands in NCAA... it's like going part time to a community college.
                          It depends on what choice of postsecondary institution he chooses to spend his WHL/MH scholarship money on within the Canada West university system. The majority of these schools are 4 year institutions with comparable educational requirements to entry level freshman core electives at the University of Minnesota.

As for the comments of Harley, I don't want to be too critical of him. I recall the last time he got put in his place by several people here (I believe he cried over it because it was a bunch of us evil GPLers), he disappeared from this board like a little baby for a number of months because he felt picked on. Maybe he's got his big boy pants on now though. lol.
                          Funny...that was about 2 years ago. Put me in my place?? IIRC you were the one who took your ball and went home after I told you to grow a d**k. By the way, how's that goin' for ya? Just to clarify, I was not able to post for a couple months that fall because I was in the north of Thailand at our Kung Fu Mountain Training Camp. I train with Kung Fu Masters from Singapore and London twice a year and that year the 7 week training started at about the same time as the Gopher season. What was that you were saying about "speculation"?

Anyway...let's move on hey? It looks to be an exciting season of Gopher hockey in the B1G. Keep postin' Ham-Bambi...it's always a pleasure.

Comment

• No. I haven't posted consistently here in years. I found the team specific boards to be more interesting than wading through a lot of stupid trash talk here. Anything you've said has been amateur hour compared to the verbal battles that used to take place on this board. That much I'll guarantee you.

If you want to hate because I have developed some relationships w/ people at the U over the years, that's your prerogative. I can't help it if the realities contradict your speculation. My face and name are out there. I'm not hiding behind a message board moniker. If you see me at the rink, feel free to make your feelings known to my face.
                            Last edited by Hammy; 09-26-2013, 04:48 PM.
                            University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

No. I haven't posted consistently here in years. I found the team specific boards to be more interesting than wading through a lot of stupid trash talk here. Anything you've said has been amateur hour compared to the verbal battles that used to take place on this board. That much I'll guarantee you.

If you want to hate because I have developed some relationships w/ people at the U over the years, that's your prerogative. I can't help it if the realities contradict your speculation. My face and name are out there. I'm not hiding behind a message board moniker. If you see me at the rink, feel free to make your feelings known to my face.
                              I see reasonable speculation on both sides of the issue. Let's face it, neither of us really know the true intent and motive behind his controversial decision, but engaging in subsequent discussions from various perspectives is what this board is designed to facilitate. So unlike what appears to be a reticence on your part for open discussion, I don't see any problem with "hashing out" the details. Most discussions on this board involve varying degrees of speculation. Realistically, questions surrounding these type of extraordinary personal decisions by young college players are best answered through inductive inquiry directly with the source, not by gathering available information through secondary contacts.

I think sometimes your source information is helpful and others have benefited by it, myself included. But I've also seen over the years, that you seem to take your self-perceived role as an "insider" far too seriously at times, especially when source information raises questions about the validity of the public record. In recent years I've noticed you tend to come off your GPL high horse to "bless us" with your presence, and then announce to the fanbase here, "this is reality folks and if you don’t believe it you’re stupid and uninformed". That’s essentially exploiting your “insider track” persona as an ego defense mechanism, rather than demonstrating a temperament conducive for passionate, open and realistic discussion of the issues.

Is it realistic to expect everyone on an open discussion board to acquiesce and buy into your version without question, whether it's true or not? If not, then you'd better be prepared for a heated discussion or stay over on GPL to avoid the inevitable caustic and pretentious rebuttals, and albeit the unpleasant act of interacting with annoying USCHO posters and their "stupid trash talk" again. But then again, the neutered and overly censored environment of GPL elicits it's own emotive constituency of self absorbed, whiny Gopher fans with entitlement issues...doesn't it?

When you make statements like, "If you want to hate because I have developed some relationships w/ people at the U over the years, that's your prerogative", again you're way off base on your "speculation" about my response. I think it’s comical when posters like yourself attempt to make an accurate assessment of what other posters are really like or what they may truly be “feeling” based upon a few lines of script on a discussion board. JFYI, my PhD. training is deep in empirical research, so I enjoy engaging college hockey issues from various research perspectives and offering a bit of theory development as a hobby, but not a lifestyle. So I don't "hate" you or anyone else here because of disagreements over discussions involving college hockey, nor because of whatever contacts you may have at the U. That’s completely absurd and I couldn’t care less who you know. I have zero tolerance for childish p*ssing contests.

Nice deflection on the condescending and grandiose visions of yourself as the Supreme USCHO Warrior, but I've also had my share of serious "verbal battles" over the years. From my perspective, a passionate exchange of ideas and verbal battles on USCHO serves to reinforce one important fact: this is a virtual reality environment, not Reality…big “R”. The best advice is not to confuse the two concepts and thus take discussion boards like USCHO too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                                If not, then you'd better be prepared for a heated discussion or stay over on GPL to avoid the inevitable caustic and pretentious rebuttals,
                                Lord knows there will plenty of those, with a capital "P", while you still post here.

Harley - he'll never say with one paragraph what can said in four....

Comment

Working...
                                X