Minnesota Gophers Offesason Thread: Back To 1896

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Offesason Thread: Back To 1896

I smell a Bucky-Gopher rivalry brewin' again. Who cares about the Poles?

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post

Plus you guys just plucked Tarek Baker from under our noses. I'm curious to hear if we were interested or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        Plus you guys just plucked Tarek Baker from under our noses. I'm curious to hear if we were interested or not.
        Really good player. And same hometown as another guy who did ok for this program
        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          Hehe...need for speed. Jersey pop!

Comment

Santa cares about the North Pole, and scientists in various fields care about the South Pole!

Comment

The WHL is notoriously the most violent and has the most fighting of any of the three CHL leagues (2012 WHL season averaged 2 fights/game). I suspect he might get his *** kicked more than a couple times.

So after a couple of weeks of that he'll probably quit.

Comment

I enjoy speculation. But sometimes it becomes overanalysis. The talk on Vannelli qualifies. You can write five pages of speculation if you want but it is pretty easily summed up if you know the situation. The demands were more than he was ready to deal with. That's it. It's not because of any changing perspective on his hockey career. It's not like he was drafted two weeks ago or didn't have the WHL options available to him before this. He recognized he was in over his head at the U from an overall demands perspective. I'm sure it produced a fair amount of anxiety for him.

WHL may be a fighting league but that doesn't mean every guy is dropping the gloves all the time, etc. Jack Walker of Edina played in the league last year (more of an offensive D man like Vannelli) and had a grand total of one fight all year... and that was against a 5'5" opponent (Walker being 5'9"). Wasn't much of a fight either.
                University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

The Big Ten\Hockey East challenge
                  http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...HockeyEast.pdf

One can only hope the winner gets the coveted DQ Cup.

13 GAMES — 11 SCHOOLS — 2 CONFERENCES — 1 WINNER
                  For immediate release: Tuesday, September 24, 2013
                  Eleven of the country’s most storied college hockey programs will compete this fall in the inaugural
                  Big Ten/Hockey
                  East Challenge,
                  it was announced today by the Big Ten Conference and the Hockey East Association. Eleven different
                  institutions will participate in 13 designated games to be played between October 18-27, with six games in Hockey East
                  arenas on the first weekend, followed by six games in Big Ten arenas and a single game on neutral ice on the second
                  weekend.
                  “The Big Ten/Hockey East Challenge will offer a tremendous opportunity to build a relationship between our two con
                  -
                  ferences and to promote the strong traditions of college hockey on a national level,” said Big Ten Associate Commissioner
                  Jennifer Heppel. “The student-athletes will also benefit from the chance to take part in meaningful non-conference compe
                  -
                  tition against other top programs.”
                  “The college hockey landscape is going through a major change this season and each conference needs to look
                  beyond its familiar boundaries,” said Hockey East Commissioner Joe Bertagna. “We have great respect for the hockey-
                  playing institutions in the Big Ten and we hope to develop this concept to allow all of our programs to participate in this
                  competition in future years.”
                  A Big Ten/Hockey East Challenge Cup will be presented to the conference that records the most points from the 13
                  games. Points will be awarded as follows: two points for a win, one point for a tie and a bonus point for a road win. Should
                  a Big Ten school utilize a shootout in any of its home games, it will not factor into the result. Should each conference
                  record the same number of points, the results of the Penn State - Vermont game, played on neutral ice, will serve as the
                  tie-breaker.
                  The seventeen schools that play in these two conferences have compiled an unparalleld record of success in the
                  history of college hockey, combining to claim 33 national championships during the 66 seasons that the NCAA has
                  sponsored the sport. Of the 11 schools participating in the inaugural Big Ten/Hockey East Challenge, five took part in last
                  season’s NCAA Championship.
                  Below is the full schedule for the inaugural Big Ten/Hockey East Challenge:
                  Big Ten/Hockey East Challenge Schedule
                  (All times EST and 7:00 p.m. unless noted)
                  Friday, October 18
                  Wisconsin at Boston College
                  Michigan State at Massachusetts
                  Michigan at New Hampshire (7:30 p.m.)

Saturday, October 19
                  Wisconsin at Boston University
                  Michigan State at Massachusetts
                  Michigan at New Hampshire

Friday, October 25
                  Boston College at Minnesota (8:00 p.m.)*
                  Boston University at Michigan#
                  UMass Lowell at Michigan State@

Saturday, October 26
                  Boston University at Michigan State
                  UMass Lowell at Michigan#
                  Penn State vs. Vermont %
                  (Philadelphia, PA - 5:00 p.m.)

Sunday, October 27
                  Boston College at Minnesota (2:00 p.m.)^
                  Originally posted by CavalryNate
                  Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                  sigpic

Comment

I like the idea of the B1G/Hockey East thing. It helps each conference and it was always fun to play the Hockey East foes back in the day.
                    University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Looking at the match ups, I believe the B1G will take the first year.

If this means Hockey East schools on our schedule every year, I LOVE it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
                        I like the idea of the B1G/Hockey East thing. It helps each conference and it was always fun to play the Hockey East foes back in the day.
                        Yes...its very cool. But fairly odd as is. I'm guessing it was in the works for awhile. Yet still looks this year was forced due to just cobbling together games that were largely on the schedule already. For example, OSU isn't in any games. On the other hand, the B1G will be behind the 8 ball if MSU stinks it up.
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

Monday, September 23, 2013: Tommy Vannelli Joins the Medicine Hat Tigers

Today via his twitter Tommy Vannelli has confirmed he will be suiting up for the Orange and Black.

I'll be playing for the Medicine Hat tigers of @TheWHL and taking classes while I'm there.
                          Juggling...ACT II

Comment

Why is he taking classes? I thought he hated school and that's why he quit?
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              Ka...ching!!

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                Depends where he's taking classes, and what type of classes, I suppose. NCAA has guidelines that he is no longer required to meet. Doubt the class load is the same and he won't become in eligible if he struggles.

Wish him the best. He made the decision that is best for him.
                                @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                                On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                                High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Working...
                                X