Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Offesason Thread: Back To 1896

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    I was curious about one thing, though. The whole "balancing athletics and academics" had me a bit puzzled since the U just started classes a couple of weeks ago. But I thought I saw, in an article or blog, reference to the fact that he had started taking classes as far back as the NHL draft? Is that the norm at the U, and other programs, where the kids would come in during the summer and start taking some classes?
    I can't speak for other programs but it is commonplace at the U. The freshmen take summer courses because it helps ease the transition into school (getting settled in, knowing where everything is, etc) and it also allows them to work out using the school's facilities, etc. It is has pretty much been a standard for a while.
    University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
      I can't speak for other programs but it is commonplace at the U. The freshmen take summer courses because it helps ease the transition into school (getting settled in, knowing where everything is, etc) and it also allows them to work out using the school's facilities, etc. It is has pretty much been a standard for a while.
      Wisconsin has done it for years for the exact reasons you list.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
        Vannelli knew the situation (ice time) coming in and even had to put in extra work to become eligible. I don't think ice time was the factor. The kid wanted to be here or else he wouldn't have put it in the work to get here.

College hockey isn't the best fit for everyone.
        As you and I discussed in another venue, there are so many misinformed "experts" on this Vannelli situation (mainly on Twitter) that I've just got shake my head and laugh.

The reality is this... all of last year, there were big question marks about academics for Vannelli. To the point where there was discussion about whether he could even get into the colleges he was most interested in. Frankly, when I heard he got into the U, I was a little surprised because I was prepared to hear otherwise.

In any case, he had the reputation for not being very good with the books. I don't know if that is because he naturally isn't good academically or if it is a work ethic issue... either way, there was definitely big question marks long ago.

So put yourself in the shoes of a kid who isn't academically strong and now has to juggle the dual demands of making sure you do well in school to stay eligible as well as handling all the stuff you need to do to play for an elite hockey program. For most guys, it is manageable. But if you are a guy that isn't as gifted with the books, it is likely a big hill to climb. Impossible? No. But I suspect he felt a little overwhelmed by all of it. So when Lucia makes the comment about juggling academics and athletics, he was being completely honest about it.

I suppose it is possible the kid could go to the USHL and make a go of it at college again. But I doubt that will be the answer for him in the long run. Even the easiest of colleges are still going to require academic work. Not to mention, he's not going to be a four year college player. I rarely say this but I actually think the WHL is the best route for him. The academics obviously won't be an issue for him there.

I'm not really sure why some of these people on Twitter that write for blogs feel the need to speak on the topic as if they have a clue to what has been going on over time when it is so clear they do not know.
        University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

AROUND THE WHL: D Tommy Vannelli, chosen by the Blues in the second round of this year's NHL draft, has left the University of Minnesota and is expected to join the Medicine Hat Tigers.
          - Brandon Sun News, Brandon, Manitoba (http://www.brandonsun.com)

I hope they don't intend to give him a book to read...cuz he not good wit da books.

Big Ten Announces Coverage for Hockey Media Day

Big Ten hockey fans will have several ways to follow their favorite teams, players and coaches as they participate in Big Ten Hockey Media Day on Thursday, Sept. 19.

All six coaches press conferences will be streamed live on BTN.com. Live streaming begins at 10 a.m. ET/9 a.m. CT and is available for free through the Big Ten Digital Network. Visit http://video.btn.com for more information.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
            The use of the facilities thing makes a lot of sense. I hadn't thought of that angle.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              Funky TV schedule though.

BTN 9 times.
              FSN North 12 times.
              FSN North Plus 7 times.
              NBC Sports Network 3 times.
              ESPNU 1 time.
              ESPNEWS 2 times.

Still the best TV schedule in college hockey.

Funky is a polite way to put it. I'd call it it discombobulated, disjointed, confusing, degrading, self serving, bewildering, flustering, perplexing, etc, etc. Think about it. The same program on six different channels?

ESPNU, ESPN News? Why? Those are obscure channels for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Tuuk View Post

They just want a piece of that hot Gopher action.

Comment

• Originally posted by Golden Tuuk View Post
                  Funky is a polite way to put it. I'd call it it discombobulated, disjointed, confusing, degrading, self serving, bewildering, flustering, perplexing, etc, etc. Think about it. The same program on six different channels?

Obscure channels that are available in a lot of households nationally.
                  @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                  On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                  High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Regarding the player to watch. Rau is a great player. For once, he should be the best player on his line. I hope he's teamed up so he gets the support he needs.
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                      Regarding the player to watch. Rau is a great player. For once, he should be the best player on his line. I hope he's teamed up so he gets the support he needs.
                      Not only a great player, real fun to watch. Will be even more fun watching him play other teams. Less painful, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                        Right on time dude. Rau was the only player unanimously selected by the coaches as a player to watch: B1G preseason poll and players to watch. We don't need no stinkin' BADgers!

tDon talks B1G

Comment

Let's Play Hockey - 2013-14 College Hockey Preseason Rankings

Comment

We'll see. Providence and RPI replacing Michigan in the top ten? I don't know. At least they put MU above Lowell (which has all the makings of being over rated).
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

While I wasn't really expecting any of this year's freshman D to have the impact I expected from last years', wasn't Vanelli expected to have the most immediate impact? Tough to lose, but it happens. Hope the forwards live up to expectations to help fill the void from last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Koho View Post
                                While I wasn't really expecting any of this year's freshman D to have the impact I expected from last years', wasn't Vanelli expected to have the most immediate impact? Tough to lose, but it happens. Hope the forwards live up to expectations to help fill the void from last year.
                                I was expecting Brodzinski to have the biggest impact. He played in the USHL last season (not high school hockey) and did really well.
                                @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                                On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                                High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Working...
                                X