Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers Offesason Thread: Back To 1896

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Minnesota Gophers Offesason Thread: Back To 1896

    Decommits (and that's essentially what this was) have become so common now that I don't think they're even a big deal. In a way, it's like players leaving early. You expect it to happen, and when it doesn't, you just consider it a bonus. Same way with commitments. The top programs expect to lose a few, and when you don't, it's just a bonus.

    I was curious about one thing, though. The whole "balancing athletics and academics" had me a bit puzzled since the U just started classes a couple of weeks ago. But I thought I saw, in an article or blog, reference to the fact that he had started taking classes as far back as the NHL draft? Is that the norm at the U, and other programs, where the kids would come in during the summer and start taking some classes?
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      Decommits (and that's essentially what this was) have become so common now that I don't think they're even a big deal. In a way, it's like players leaving early. You expect it to happen, and when it doesn't, you just consider it a bonus. Same way with commitments. The top programs expect to lose a few, and when you don't, it's just a bonus.

      I was curious about one thing, though. The whole "balancing athletics and academics" had me a bit puzzled since the U just started classes a couple of weeks ago. But I thought I saw, in an article or blog, reference to the fact that he had started taking classes as far back as the NHL draft? Is that the norm at the U, and other programs, where the kids would come in during the summer and start taking some classes?
      My understanding is he was taking classes over the summer as well. And really, it can sometimes only take a few weeks to know you're going to be in trouble (or that it just isn't a good fit for you).
      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

      Comment


      • Re: Minnesota Gophers Offesason Thread: Back To 1896

        It appears Notre Dame is the only series not televised anywhere. Seems to me that's a pretty decent financial hit to the program. If that's the case, why would we ever play them in the regular season again?
        Go Gophers!

        Comment


        • Re: Minnesota Gophers Offesason Thread: Back To 1896

          Not a good fit. I guess he was surprised that he really had to go to classes and was expected to actually do the work. Still, Two legacy names splitting . Maybe the wanted to play in the National.

          Comment


          • Re: Minnesota Gophers Offesason Thread: Back To 1896

            Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
            I am glad he made the decision today and not the middle of the season.
            IIRC, Mike Carman was academically ineligible for the first half of the 2007-08 season. With the help of a multiplicity of academic assistance resources available for student athletes at the U, he got his grades up and became a pretty good four year role player for the Gophers. Bottom line, if Vannelli wanted to stay he could have made it work. And there's this:

            Oddly enough, Vannelli brought up classes when he spoke with SB Nation College Hockey in June after being drafted by the Blues. "I'm really excited," he told SB Nation's Jeff Cox. "We started classes a couple weeks ago, we're working out there and everything. It's been good so far."
            Strange decision considering your entire college academic experience only consists of a few weeks with a major in leisure studies. Let's put it this way, it falls a mile short of the "old college try" in anyone's book. I wonder how much of a role Medicine Hat scouts played in his decision: A) A lot or B) Quite a bit? Regardless, I think it's a poorly timed decision, but the Gophers are plenty deep at D this coming season so the negative effect is minimal. I'm looking forward to seeing Bischoff and Brodzinski on the backline this season.

            Comment


            • Re: Minnesota Gophers Offesason Thread: Back To 1896

              Mike Carmen clearly wanted to put in the work academically. Vannelli clearly didn't want to or thought he wouldn't be able to do it. Every person is different.

              I don't agree with the reasoning of "if he really wanted to be here he would be". He had to do a bunch of work just to become eligible to play here and if he didn't want to be here he probably wouldn't have done so. College isn't for everyone. He gave it a try, thought it wasn't a fit, and is now moving on. I wish him the best.

              As for the two weeks timing, it's probably the best for both parties he made the decision this early. Leaves him with more options and gives out coaches more time to prepare.

              And last I heard he hasn't committed to Medicine Hat, so I'd probably go with C) We don't know.
              Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 09-18-2013, 12:16 PM.
              @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
              On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
              High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

              Comment


              • Re: Minnesota Gophers Offesason Thread: Back To 1896

                Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                Mike Carmen clearly wanted to put in the work academically. Vannelli clearly didn't want to
                Agreed.

                Comment


                • Re: Minnesota Gophers Offesason Thread: Back To 1896

                  Don't worry 4³. How could we forget the years of "good" times in the WCHA and tArrogance of that rodent Goldy's followers?
                  GO DU !!!

                  Comment


                  • Re: Minnesota Gophers Offesason Thread: Back To 1896

                    I think "balancing hockey and academics" is code for "he wants more ice time." We had a similar situation at Tech with our 3rd round NHL draft pick, Jujhar Khaira who signed with Edmonton and will now be playing in the WHL with Everett. The WHL plays 85 games a season, while NCAA teams play 38 games. Lots more opportunity for development and a lot more attractive to certain NHL teams.
                    Let's face it, the academics aren't that tough for hockey players and it's pretty early in the semester to already be in trouble.
                    I wouldn't doubt this is another case of the NHL/WHL luring a kid away from college.

                    Comment


                    • Re: Minnesota Gophers Offesason Thread: Back To 1896

                      Originally posted by Jaws View Post
                      Not a good fit. I guess he was surprised that he really had to go to classes and was expected to actually do the work. Still, Two legacy names splitting . Maybe the wanted to play in the National.
                      He wants to play wherever he doesn't have to do schoolwork...simple as that.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
                        I think "balancing hockey and academics" is code for "he wants more ice time." We had a similar situation at Tech with our 3rd round NHL draft pick, Jujhar Khaira who signed with Edmonton and will now be playing in the WHL with Everett. The WHL plays 85 games a season, while NCAA teams play 38 games. Lots more opportunity for development and a lot more attractive to certain NHL teams.
                        Let's face it, the academics aren't that tough for hockey players and it's pretty early in the semester to already be in trouble.
                        I wouldn't doubt this is another case of the NHL/WHL luring a kid away from college.
                        Vannelli knew the situation (ice time) coming in and even had to put in extra work to become eligible. I don't think ice time was the factor. The kid wanted to be here or else he wouldn't have put it in the work to get here.

                        College hockey isn't the best fit for everyone.
                        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                          It appears Notre Dame is the only series not televised anywhere. Seems to me that's a pretty decent financial hit to the program. If that's the case, why would we ever play them in the regular season again?
                          Is will be picked up, probably by NBCS.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            Is will be picked up, probably by NBCS.
                            That's what I heard as well. NBCSN has yet to release it's schedule, so the Gopher's can't list it yet. It is expected that both games at Notre Dame and possibly one of the games at PSU will be on the NBCSN.
                            @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                            On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                            High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

                            Comment


                            • Re: Minnesota Gophers Offesason Thread: Back To 1896

                              Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                              That's what I heard as well. NBCSN has yet to release it's schedule, so the Gopher's can't list it yet. It is expected that both games at Notre Dame and possibly one of the games at PSU will be on the NBCSN.
                              GPL has the Notre Dame series and one of the Penn State games already listed as NBCSN. I don't think Jupiter would list it unless something was known.

                              Funky TV schedule though. Gotta walk around the dial. If things are the way GPL listed it we have.

                              BTN 9 times.
                              FSN North 12 times.
                              FSN North Plus 7 times.
                              NBC Sports Network 3 times.
                              ESPNU 1 time.
                              ESPNEWS 2 times.

                              Still the best TV schedule in college hockey.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

                              Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                GPL has the Notre Dame series and one of the Penn State games already listed as NBCSN. I don't think Jupiter would list it unless something was known.

                                Funky TV schedule though. Gotta walk around the dial. If things are the way GPL listed it we have.

                                BTN 9 times.
                                FSN North 12 times.
                                FSN North Plus 7 times.
                                NBC Sports Network 3 times.
                                ESPNU 1 time.
                                ESPNEWS 2 times.

                                Still the best TV schedule in college hockey.
                                Thanks Scooby. And I agree. Odd schedule, but can't complain.
                                @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                                On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                                High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X