Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gwoz Resigns from DU?

Originally posted by giwan View Post
    I would expect she is spending more time on the phone answering alums then going on a radio station to be attacked by locals.
    No, KOA and the Denver Post are more important around here for sure. If she's not talking to them, she's hiding, plain and simple.

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
    Gutless. Apparently she thinks she can keep the cone of silence on this siuation but she owes an answer to alumni, season tix holders, fans. She screwed this up royally and isn't willing to take the heat. The buck stops somewhere else. DU is not going get a top tier guy because of the way this thing was handled and continues to be handled.
    Definitely gutless. Granted, the folks on 850 are used to bigger cojones than The Hyphen is exhibiting. I mean, you think John Elway was afraid to go on the radio and explain why he showed ol' Timmy Tebow the door? And he probably got death threats for that move. They said they are going to try and get her on again tomorrow morning. And after the treatment she got today - basically, "we don't care what you have to say, but you'd better something." She'll show up. She has to.
    Last edited by bunt_q; 04-04-2013, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
      An editorial where they imply that Gwoz is paid less than the "median" of D1 hockey coaches. BS he was. He was one of the highest paid. They can't even read the data set that they quote.
      The data set isn't clear about whether it was using base salary or total compensation. It was also interesting to see that his base salary is more than the median "salary and benefits" paid to FCS football schools that have hockey coaches. I guess Bowling Green and Connecticut really bring that median down.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        The data set isn't clear about whether it was using base salary or total compensation. It was also interesting to see that his base salary is more than the median "salary and benefits" paid to FCS football schools that have hockey coaches. I guess Bowling Green and Connecticut really bring that median down.
        The category is labeled "Salary and Benefits" in each instance. I interpret that to mean his base pay plus benefits without adding in the "incentives". Most organizations these days know what their health insurance et al cost them and include those numbers. One could make a guess along the lines of 211,000 + 60,000 putting his "salary and benefits" at the high-end for "non-football D1 schools". Additionally, it's been "reported" here and in other media that Gwoz was taking home close to half a million dollars a year. While that number is always going to be speculation (unless someone asks GEORGE for a copy of his tax return) such numbers usually turn out to be fairly accurate.
        Last edited by uaafanblog; 04-04-2013, 03:10 PM.

Comment

The category is labeled "Salary and Benefits" in each instance.
          yes but benefits typically means insurance, 401k match, etc...not necessarily "other compensation."
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

yes but benefits typically means insurance, 401k match, etc...not necessarily "other compensation."
            I was editing while you wrote that. And I'll just reiterate ... it's Gwoz that can answer that set of questions. I don't think DU would be allowed to.

Comment

I was editing while you wrote that. And I'll just reiterate ... it's Gwoz that can answer that set of questions. I don't think DU would be allowed to.
              You know, it's possible he doesn't even know why he was fired. DU hasn't even said money was the issue, so all of your blathering about what she could/could not reveal misses the point entirely. For all we know, it was something else completely.

Comment

Why would they be allowed to discuss is base salary if they can't discuss "other compensation?"

Comment

Why would they be allowed to discuss is base salary if they can't discuss "other compensation?"
                  I didn't mean to imply that. I think they wouldn't be allowed to discuss either. Where the 211,000 number came from is anyone's guess. These sorts of numbers "leak" out at private universities.

Comment

Originally posted by bunt_q View Post
                    You know, it's possible he doesn't even know why he was fired. DU hasn't even said money was the issue, so all of your blathering about what she could/could not reveal misses the point entirely. For all we know, it was something else completely.
                    Two reasons were given. Go back and read the only statement the admin has made about it. Both of the reasons are stated there. The inability to negotiate a new contract means it's about money. It's clear it wasn't really about performance unless those people think he should have been winning a national championship every other year.

Comment

Two reasons were given. Go back and read the only statement the admin has made about it. Both of the reasons are stated there. The inability to negotiate a new contract means it's about money. It's clear it wasn't really about performance unless those people think he should have been winning a national championship every other year.
                      Naturally, you know more than the Denver Post does. It's truly a privilege for the rest of us to be blessed with your presence.

Comment

Originally posted by bunt_q View Post
                        Naturally, you know more than the Denver Post does. It's truly a privilege for the rest of us to be blessed with your presence.
                        Cos you can't read the original press release? And yeah ... there's probably 4 dozen people here who know more than the Denver Post's non-sports editorial page journalists.
                        Last edited by uaafanblog; 04-04-2013, 03:31 PM.

Comment

I strongly disagree with the Gwoz firing. But to the extent that his firing was based on performance, it wasn't because he wasn't winning enough national championships. It was because he wasn't advancing past the first game of the tournament in 5 of the past 6 years. And in the other 1 of the 6 years, he lost in the 2nd game of the tournament. I don't know what the admin was thinking. But my own thought, is that if you're making the tournament every year, and if you have the talent that DU has had, and if you have the decent seedings that DU has had, and if you have a well-paid and good coach at the helm, you should expect to make it to the Frozen Four once every three or four years. I think everybody could understand losing the occasional first round game, and losing games in the Frozen Four if you make it that far. But the 1-5 record in the NCAA's since the 2005 national championship was a bit perplexing, even to those of us who fully supported Gwoz. There was just something "off" and "flat" about the team's NCAA tournament performances that was hard for many DU fans to understand, particularly in the aftermath of DU's 8-0 record in the NCAA tournaments of 2004 and 2005.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                            Wow...the misinformation coming out of people on this thread who don't know **** about the DU hockey program is staggering. This thread has gone down the tubes.
                            DING DING DING, we have a winner!

Comment

Cos you can't read the original press release? And yeah ... there's probably 4 dozen people here who know more than the Denver Post's non-sports editorial page journalists.
                              So everyone who's looking for a better explanation, we're all just morons, eh? It really must be nice to know everything. Can you tell us what it's like to be so brilliant? How do you get through your days surrounded by all the little people? Or would your explanation just sail over our heads? Must be frustrating to be you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
                                I strongly disagree with the Gwoz firing. But to the extent that his firing was based on performance, it wasn't because he wasn't winning enough national championships. It was because he wasn't advancing past the first game of the tournament in 5 of the past 6 years. And in the other 1 of the 6 years, he lost in the 2nd game of the tournament. I don't know what the admin was thinking. But my own thought, is that if you're making the tournament every year, and if you have the talent that DU has had, and if you have the decent seedings that DU has had, and if you have a well-paid and good coach at the helm, you should expect to make it to the Frozen Four once every three or four years. I think everybody could understand losing the occasional first round game, and losing games in the Frozen Four if you make it that far. But the 1-5 record in the NCAA's since the 2005 national championship was a bit perplexing, even to those of us who fully supported Gwoz. There was just something "off" and "flat" about the team's NCAA tournament performances that was hard for many DU fans to understand, particularly in the aftermath of DU's 8-0 record in the NCAA tournaments of 2004 and 2005.
                                DING, DING, DING. Premature winner on the previous post. This guy gets it!!
                                I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Working...
                                X