Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gwoz Resigns from DU?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Gwoz Resigns from DU?

    Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
    The thing I don't get is this isn't a huge revenue sport. I know it is the sport at DU, but its not like they can pay a coach millions like they do in basketball and football. Why would someone want to take a job where they just fired a guy with two national championships in less than 10 years and a ton of NCAA appearances? Schools get away with that in football and basketball because one contract makes your whole life so if you fail, big whoop you have millions in the bank.
    To pay the rent and feed the family is why most would take the job.
    19 years ...a lot of people get fired in 19th year so no retirement for them .......just saying
    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.


    Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

    I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
      To pay the rent and feed the family is why most would take the job.
      19 years ...a lot of people get fired in 19th year so no retirement for them .......just saying
      Obviously someone will take the job, but will it be someone who can win at the rate the admin wants? That is a hard act to follow. Good luck to whoever takes the job.
      I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

      In Bob we Trust!

      The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

      Comment


      • Re: Gwoz Resigns from DU?

        Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
        Obviously someone will take the job, but will it be someone who can win at the rate the admin wants? That is a hard act to follow. Good luck to whoever takes the job.
        Is this really an admin issue or an alum issue? Usually the alums pull strings in a schools marquee sports. Is the AD in hot water right now with the alumni or did the AD do what they asked of her?

        Comment


        • Re: Gwoz Resigns from DU?

          Subscribed because
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

          Comment


          • Re: Gwoz Resigns from DU?

            Originally posted by giwan View Post
            Is this really an admin issue or an alum issue? Usually the alums pull strings in a schools marquee sports. Is the AD in hot water right now with the alumni or did the AD do what they asked of her?
            I'd say yes, hot water. Certainly there was no alumni push to dump him, at least no that I am aware of.

            I've also never heard DU hockey talked about so much on mainstream talk radio in Denver. I am rather looking forward to tomorrow morning. 850 KOA (Denver's flagship AM station) is going to have the hyphenated-AD on to explain herself. Should be good.

            Comment


            • Re: Gwoz Resigns from DU?

              Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              because denver has never had horrible seasons? How soon you forget what things were like before hiring Gwozdecky...6 wins, 9 wins, 4 wins...same basic chit.
              Yeah, except try recruiting to Houghton or Mankato or Bemidji *today* when the alternative is Denver. Kids still have to live in these places. Denver's one of the hottest in the country right now (hell, we're adding a Houghton every 6 months, and that's just within a few miles of DU). That makes for some serious fun. Plus an easier time filling up your arena, even little ol' Magness. That stuff matters, even in a podunk little sport like hockey. Whoever steps in should have a much easier time of it than at most other hockey schools.

              Comment


              • Re: Gwoz Resigns from DU?

                Originally posted by bunt_q View Post

                I've also never heard DU hockey talked about so much on mainstream talk radio in Denver. I am rather looking forward to tomorrow morning. 850 KOA (Denver's flagship AM station) is going to have the hyphenated-AD on to explain herself. Should be good.
                What time is Ms. Rope-A-Doppes going to be on? We can listen live on 850KOA.com...can't wait to hear her mealy-mouth her way through why she canned one of the top 5 college hockey coaches in the U.S. ... and what her game plan is to replace him... and how she's going to execute that. Something any good head volley ball coach is qualified to do.
                Last edited by DoubleA; 04-03-2013, 10:50 PM.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by bunt_q View Post
                  Yeah, except try recruiting to Houghton or Mankato or Bemidji *today* when the alternative is Denver. Kids still have to live in these places. Denver's one of the hottest in the country right now (hell, we're adding a Houghton every 6 months, and that's just within a few miles of DU). That makes for some serious fun. Plus an easier time filling up your arena, even little ol' Magness. That stuff matters, even in a podunk little sport like hockey. Whoever steps in should have a much easier time of it than at most other hockey schools.
                  People are not enamored with Denver it's the mountains what people talk about. IMO, Denver reminds me of a southwestern cowtown.
                  Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                  dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                  wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

                  Comment


                  • Re: Gwoz Resigns from DU?

                    Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                    People are not enamored with Denver it's the mountains what people talk about. IMO, Denver reminds me of a southwestern cowtown.
                    So the city of Denver is a necessary evil? That sounds about right.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

                    RIP - Kirby

                    Comment


                    • Re: Gwoz Resigns from DU?

                      Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                      People are not enamored with Denver it's the mountains what people talk about. IMO, Denver reminds me of a southwestern cowtown.
                      And they are not even in the mountains! That's CO Springs. Denver has foothills. They are CLOSE to the mountains.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

                      Comment


                      • Re: Gwoz Resigns from DU?

                        Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                        That's the rub, isn't it? They apparently couldn't agree on what he's worth. No organization will disregard their own valuation of an employee's worth and pay the employee what the employee thinks he is worth.
                        That's not necessarily true in professional sports or business, and especially in cases like this unless the organizational leadership is clearly myopic and deluded which I believe is the case here. The inherent added marketing and entertainment value of a high profile and successful sports figure or coach goes far beyond the win and loss column. I remember reading what a difference the presence of Micheal Jordan meant to the Chicago economy during a Bulls home game. When the Bulls played at home local revenue soared in excess of $60M.

                        The notoriety of George Gwozdecky and his resume alone drew some of the finest college hockey recruits in the nation to DU, sold tickets, merchandise, etc. The man's industry connections are far and wide, a network comprised of some of the top coaches and sport figures in college and professional sports today. Moreover, Gwoz's coaching expertise took a losing, dysfunctional DU hockey program in 1994 with ONE NCAA postseason appearance in 20 years and elevated it to one of the top 5 college hockey programs in the nation with 11 NCAA appearances, 21 seasons winning 21 or more games, 2 national championships, conference championships, coached the only Hobey Baker winner from DU/Matt Carle, produced lots of NHL talent, etc. He is currently 4th all time in Ws among active coaches behind Jerry York, Red Berenson and Don Lucia.

                        I recall Don Lucia stating recently when asked what he will miss and not miss about the WCHA. When asked, "Which road trip will you miss the least?" He said, "Denver, because we can never win out there" (Laughs). DU and Gwoz always seemed to have the Gophers number and this season Gwoz became the winningest coach ever against the Gophers.

                        There's little question Gwoz was the face of the DU hockey program. If Doppes and staff can't negotiate on a fair market value salary commensurate with Gwoz's record, character and coaching ability, IMO they are nothing more than redundant clods disconnected to today's high standard of what is required to consistently win in college hockey. Gwoz stated during his farewell press conference, he expected Denver to come back to the negotiating table after initial talks four years ago, but Doppes and co. never did. I don't pretend to know how much Gwozdecky wanted, but it's uncanny that DU wouldn’t even come to the table to discuss the options before delivering the pink slip. From where I'm sitting, the lack of sufficient effort to develop rapport and negotiate a contract deal should concern those who care about the ongoing admin. of DU hockey and its future. Typically, the college hockey coaching landscape does not change much from year to year, especially with a coach of Gwoz's caliber, until after many consecutive seasons of near futility. IMO this is one of the worst coaching change decisions in recent college hockey memory...a complete admin blunder in my opinion which all began by DU over investing in their BB program.

                        I have to echo what a recent writer stated, if Gwoz couldn't keep his job after 19 years of winning, how will a younger, cheaper and less experienced coach (where ever he is) live up to any higher expectations? This is nothing but a disastrous and fatal clash of egos, in which DU emerges as the big loser.
                        Last edited by HarleyMC; 04-04-2013, 01:42 AM.

                        Comment


                        • Re: Gwoz Resigns from DU?

                          When it's coach vs. AD or, especially, coach vs. Administration, coach NEVER wins. Unfortunately, it's that simple. Years ago I was home to Western Massachusetts whenI heard a TV interview with Ned Harkness
                          where he was brought in to build Union's hockey program. Union is/was a very proud, strong educational institution. Harkness had a big win on Saturday night and was quoted as sying the Union's hockey program soon would surpass academics as Unions hallmark....................wrong!! Game, set, and match - "darkness with Harkness" was history.

                          The only way Gwoz could have been saved is if a big time booster interveened between the AD & Gwoz and brokered deal. Without that the AD had a blank check to gas the coach.

                          Comment


                          • Re: Gwoz Resigns from DU?

                            Originally posted by FRICKER View Post
                            When it's coach vs. AD or, especially, coach vs. Administration, coach NEVER wins. Unfortunately, it's that simple. Years ago I was home to Western Massachusetts whenI heard a TV interview with Ned Harkness
                            where he was brought in to build Union's hockey program. Union is/was a very proud, strong educational institution. Harkness had a big win on Saturday night and was quoted as sying the Union's hockey program soon would surpass academics as Unions hallmark....................wrong!! Game, set, and match - "darkness with Harkness" was history.
                            I never heard that expression before, but thanks for the chuckle.
                            sigpic

                            Let's Go 'Tute!

                            Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

                            2012 Poser Of The Year

                            Comment


                            • Re: Gwoz Resigns from DU?

                              Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                              That's not necessarily true in professional sports or business, and especially in cases like this unless the organizational leadership is clearly myopic and deluded which I believe is the case here.
                              I'll stand by what I said:
                              Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                              That's the rub, isn't it? They apparently couldn't agree on what he's worth. No organization will disregard their own valuation of an employee's worth and pay the employee what the employee thinks he is worth.
                              Gwoz may be worth more to another organization. He may be worth elsewhere what he was asking for. We may believe Gwoz is worth what he was asking for (whatever that was). An independent consultant could deem him worth what he was asking for. But if DU doesn't believe he is worth it, he's not going to get it. It's really that simple. And I don't believe for a second that he and DU haven't talked about this for the past four years.
                              bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                              SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                              All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                              A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

                              And stay off the lawn!

                              Comment


                              • Re: Gwoz Resigns from DU?

                                What time is Ms. Snapper-Doppes going to be on 850 KOA this morning?
                                Listening but haven't heard anything yet...

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X