Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Attendance at Regionals

Originally posted by Alton View Post
    I think in the case of FCS football, all of the travel expenses keep the tournament from making a profit. Every game has 75 or so players & coaches who have to travel (by plane if it's more than 400 miles) and spend 2 nights in hotel rooms. I would think that would eat in to any of the ticket and TV revenues that the tournament receives. Not to mention the fact that most of the schools who regularly make the tournament aren't exactly near a major airport--I'm sure that the cost of transporting 75 people from Missoula, Montana, to Boone, North Carolina, and back is pretty significant.
    That makes a lot of sense. I would guess that the average distance traveled per game in the postseason is much more than the regular season, as teams may be playing others from across the country.

Does anyone know who decides ticket prices at NCAA tournament games (any sport) when the high seed hosts? (Weirdly, the NCAA wants to run the show, making it like a neutral-site game except one team is clearly the home team.) I remember I bought my ticket to the NCAA women's hockey quarterfinal between Mercyhurst and Wisconsin (2012) from the Wisconsin ticket site, not NCAA. That being said, everything at the Kohl Center was taken over by the NCAA that night.

Comment

NCAA basesball is a very cumbersome tournament, with 64 teams and a complicated structure, with things like double elimination regionals and best of three series. I checked out a couple of college baseball rosters and found some with 30+ (I don’t know how many of them would get to travel to the tournament) so the lodging expenses might build up.

Originally posted by Alton View Post
      I can't imagine anybody complaining about [Bemidji hosting Michigan]; if you know the system going in, and the system says that the top 8 seeds host first round games, than what would be the basis for complaint? ...
      Alton, not trying to speak for him, but I think he may have been talking about the venue being too small. I don’t think it would happen often, because generally the higher seeds are established programs with pretty large facilities and a lot of lower seeds are small schools with small fan bases. But you might have a “perfect storm” situation in which a high seed is a school with a small facility that’s filled for normal home games (I assume that's true of Bemidji) and the lower seed is a nearby school with a large traveling base (haven't checked the geography, but I know Michigan travels relatively well, and they seem to have alumni all over the place). If you hold back seats for the NCAA and a block of seats for the visitors, it’s possible that demand for tickets might exceed supply by more than you want.

Of course one response is that people don't travel much for regionals, so you'd expect that they would travel even less for a single first round game.

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
        Do you mean higher seed getting the gift of playing at Yost/Mariucci? Alton's suggestion would place the game at the higher team's home rink, which would be Yost/Mariucci if Michigan/Minny were the higher seed. And Alton's suggestion would have the eight top seed hosting the first round.
        Right, that's what I meant... And I'd have no ethical issue with higher seeds hosting throughout the first two rounds, aside from the very important fact that multi-team Regionals encourage/facilitate comprehensive TV-coverage, while siting the games at a myriad of on-campus rinks would not.

The system is not broken, IMO... In fact, it's about as good as it can get. Most of us have the option of seeing every game one way or the other these days, and I for one watch nearly every minute of each of them.

This era of national-exposure is great for college hockey. (Sure, I suppose it could be better vis-a-vis venue choices,etc., but let's all admit to ourselves that we are enjoying a golden age right now, warts and all... Hell, hockey in general is still a "niche" sport, even at the NHL level. We have it good right now.)

I don't see a real problem here. It seems a little silly to grouse about attendance at local NCAA Regionals, when all you need to do these days is to put your feet up and find the remote to watch whatever game you fancy, if you don't care to make the drive.
        Last edited by Fishman'81; 06-07-2013, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
          That makes a lot of sense. I would guess that the average distance traveled per game in the postseason is much more than the regular season, as teams may be playing others from across the country.

Does anyone know who decides ticket prices at NCAA tournament games (any sport) when the high seed hosts? (Weirdly, the NCAA wants to run the show, making it like a neutral-site game except one team is clearly the home team.) I remember I bought my ticket to the NCAA women's hockey quarterfinal between Mercyhurst and Wisconsin (2012) from the Wisconsin ticket site, not NCAA. That being said, everything at the Kohl Center was taken over by the NCAA that night.
          Given the league typically decides a minimum in the postseason for league playoffs, I would assume that the NCAA decides a minimum for playoff tickets. However, if the venue normally charges more for a ticket for whatever reason, they may go to that higher price. For example, ECAC has a $12 minimum for adults in the postseason, but Cornell normally charges $18 for a game. They will still charge the $18.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
            Those of you wanting 30-45 minutes or whatever it is between games, that will never happen unless they change the rules pertaining to pregame time. Currently, pregame is 60 minutes, and they have it outlined to the minute when teams can take the ice for warm ups, when teams must leave the ice for warm ups, etc.
            Understood, and I'm OK with that...IF THEY ALLOW RE-ADMISSION. Don't keep me in the arena with no beer, no liquor and only arena food. Like I said, I went to the Providence Regionals in March. Quinnipiac-Canisius and Union-BC. There are literally a hundred bars and restaurants within 1/4 mile of Dunkin' Donuts Center. Federal Hill/Atwells Ave is RIGHT THERE. I've been to 17 hockey games this season between college (12) and NHL (5). Tonight will be #18 at The Gahhden. Obviously a dedicated fan of good hockey. I will not go to the Regionals next year if the NCAA and the hosting arena venues don't change the rules. Great hockey, crap set-up.

Comment

I was under the impression that the ticket price was set by the venue/host of the regional? They bid on the regionals, so the NCAA is getting their money either way. It is up to the venue/host to try and turn a profit after paying the NCAA their agreed to fees. I assumed that is why you saw some discrepancy in ticket prices rather than one set rate across the board.
              Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
              FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
              NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
              NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
              NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
              NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
              Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
              Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                I was under the impression that the ticket price was set by the venue/host of the regional? .
                I was under that impression as well.
                Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
                Eric's Twitter
                The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Bring the games back to campus

Comment

http://www.uscho.com/2013/06/13/comm...ticket-prices/

Comment

Thanks for the link.

About time the NCAA starts to wonder if they're going to attract the casual local-fans at those prices, whether they allow the venue to set those prices or not... A little pressure imposed to reduce them to "realistic" would be a big step in the right direction.

And the TUC is a silly and redundant construct that needs to go. SOS already factors-in everything meaningful in that regard. Each team should be to be rated on a continuum; there is no reason whatsoever to impose some mandatory cut-off point vis-a-vis post-season relevance.

I would love to see that comparison go away. It makes the PWR ridiculously volatile at times.
                      Last edited by Fishman'81; 06-15-2013, 01:39 AM.

Comment

NCAA Site Selection Process and Information for the 2015-2018 Regionals:

http://ncaabids.azurewebsites.net/wp...Bid-Specs1.pdf

Goes pretty in depth into who covers what. One note, looks like smaller, neutral facilities are in play.:

"The facility must be modern, clean and accessible and must have at least 5,000 seats. Playing conditions must meet NCAA regulations and must be of championship caliber."

On the last page is the "Guarantee"

"Guarantee – A minimum financial guarantee of $150,000 is required to host the Men’s Ice Hockey Regionals. After gross receipts are determined, the NCAA will receive the established guarantee, followed by the host/LOC receiving the budgeted expenses or actual expenses, whichever is less. Once both of those obligations have been met, if there are any remaining funds, the NCAA and the host/LOC will split those 80% for the NCAA and 20% for the host/LOC."
                        Last edited by beaverhockeyfan; 06-25-2013, 01:57 PM.
                        Millsy

FROZEN FOUR 2009!

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                        Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                          Thanks for the link.

About time the NCAA starts to wonder if they're going to attract the casual local-fans at those prices, whether they allow the venue to set those prices or not... A little pressure imposed to reduce them to "realistic" would be a big step in the right direction.

And the TUC is a silly and redundant construct that needs to go. SOS already factors-in everything meaningful in that regard. Each team should be to be rated on a continuum; there is no reason whatsoever to impose some mandatory cut-off point vis-a-vis post-season relevance.

I would love to see that comparison go away. It makes the PWR ridiculously volatile at times.
                          Once a new system goes into play, you're going to start complaining about that once teams look to exploit it.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            Once a new system goes into play, you're going to start complaining about that once teams look to exploit it.
                            So you like the TUC construct?

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                              NCAA Site Selection Process and Information for the 2015-2018 Regionals:

http://ncaabids.azurewebsites.net/wp...Bid-Specs1.pdf

Goes pretty in depth into who covers what. One note, looks like smaller, neutral facilities are in play.:

"The facility must be modern, clean and accessible and must have at least 5,000 seats. Playing conditions must meet NCAA regulations and must be of championship caliber."

On the last page is the "Guarantee"

"Guarantee – A minimum financial guarantee of $150,000 is required to host the Men’s Ice Hockey Regionals. After gross receipts are determined, the NCAA will receive the established guarantee, followed by the host/LOC receiving the budgeted expenses or actual expenses, whichever is less. Once both of those obligations have been met, if there are any remaining funds, the NCAA and the host/LOC will split those 80% for the NCAA and 20% for the host/LOC."
                              I guess that Bangor and Portland, Maine are now in play.

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
                                I guess that Bangor and Portland, Maine are now in play.
                                As is the Scheels Center in Fargo. I know some North Dakota fans have been wanting to see a regional put there if seat requirement was lowered.

I think this could open up a lot on interesting possibilities/venues. With it having to be neutral sites, it takes a lot of nice home arenas out of the equation, but opens up some markets that may embrace the event.
                                Millsy

FROZEN FOUR 2009!

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                                Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84

Comment

Working...
                                X