Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Attendance at Regionals

Originally posted by Netman View Post
    How about cheaper tickets, so the casual fan might do it.
    You know what would help this: I'm not sure if the NCAA is the one that puts on the Icebreaker, but perhaps they should put on a tournament or two in season. Offer an exemption to get teams to go, and the proceeds would go to the same pot as the tournament funds. With that, you might be able to bring down the cost of regionals.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      You know what would help this: I'm not sure if the NCAA is the one that puts on the Icebreaker, but perhaps they should put on a tournament or two in season. Offer an exemption to get teams to go, and the proceeds would go to the same pot as the tournament funds. With that, you might be able to bring down the cost of regionals.
      Why would anyone go to an NCAA-hosted tournament, let alone any tournament that allows the NCAA any portion of the net? The NCAA gets the national tournament at the end of the season and it crowns a champion, so that's "worth it." I don't see it, any other time of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Netman View Post
        How about cheaper tickets, so the casual fan might do it.
        Thank you... It all boils-down to your point, IMO.

The sport won't grow without recruiting the casual fan, and the casual fan isn't going to fork-over $100/day just out of curiosity. (Hell, I'm a hard-core fan, and I won't do that to see games I can watch for free on TV at my own convenience.)

Anyone who wants to see teams host on their home-ice is living in the sordid past of smoke-filled rooms. No credible NCAA tournament is skewed in that fashion anymore, nor should it be. I'd rather see games played in an empty arena than I would some 3 seed getting sited on their campus, which has happened in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
          Anyone who wants to see teams host on their home-ice is living in the sordid past of smoke-filled rooms. No credible NCAA tournament is skewed in that fashion anymore, nor should it be. I'd rather see games played in an empty arena than I would some 3 seed getting sited on their campus, which has happened in the past.
          The lacrosse tournament disagrees with you.

Comment

I follow college lacrosse, and no lower seed has hosted a higher one in recent memory. (Not that my memory is any good.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
              I follow college lacrosse, and no lower seed has hosted a higher one in recent memory. (Not that my memory is any good.)
              Not for round 1. It could happen at the QF level as those sites are predetermined.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Not for round 1. It could happen at the QF level as those sites are predetermined.
                And, as has been discussed earlier in the thread, the predetermined sites for the "Round of 8" could certainly be neutral. One attractive possibility: Eastern & Western doubleheaders featuring the first round winners, both on neutral ice.

To Fishman '81 & Others: Agreed, UNEARNED home ice needs to be a thing of the past. But the good elements of the Lacrosse format without can be borrowed violating that principle. Earned home ice in the First Round, neutral ice the rest of the way still sounds good to me.

Comment

Higher seed hosts or GTFO.

The cities who pay to host regionals are taking a gamble that their host institution makes it. Last year I bought West Regional tix in advance. And then Michigan had the disaster of 2012-13. Toledo mistakenly picked BGSU to host and the arena was hilariously empty.

You should see the B1G baseball tourney's brilliant idea of playing a college baseball tournament in MLB parks. This is not the south. Current one is at Target Field and there might have been 60 people there. For the Gopher game. Pathetic. Every tournament excluding finals and semis should be hosted by the higher seed. Also excluding bball and football of course.
                  Last edited by MGoBlueHockey; 05-23-2013, 10:55 AM.
                  ---
                  National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                  Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                  19 Conference Championships
                  10 Conference Tournament Championships
                  2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
                    Higher seed hosts or GTFO.
                    Sigh. As is so often the case, it's lonely in the middle.

The hybrid plan put forward by Alton is a compromise, drawing on the best elements of the various approaches. It's also something that could at least conceviably be palatable to the college hockey community as a whole. When you insist on all or nothing, you're very likely to wind up with nothing.

I will say this. Having the first two rounds on campus sites would likely produce the highest attendance in the West. So there is some merit to your position. Trouble is, the current format works better in the East than for us, and some Eastern fans have come out in favor of the status quo. Politically speaking, two rounds on campus is a non-starter -- IMHO. Granted, Alton's plan also faces an uphill climb. But it's a much more reasonable goal.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                      Sigh. As is so often the case, it's lonely in the middle.

No, on discussion boards, it's lonely when you try to be reasonable.

Staying out of the substantive discussion (for now; I’ll probably get sucked in eventually), but I’ll mention a couple of points.

1. The bid processes for 2015 and 2016 are out. The minimum seating capacity is 5000; I don’t know whether that’s different than in the past. In light of the poor attendance in Grand Rapids and Toledo, it will be interesting to see who submits bids in the west. Obviously, if there aren’t any acceptable bids, the NCAA will need to do something. If there are acceptable bids, that could mean we’ve got the current system until at least 2016.

2. There has been some discussion of this topic on this website and others recently. There have been a couple of references to something like Alton’s suggestion (I don’t remember if he suggested best of three or not), but no indication as to whether it’s got any “legs”.

http://www.uscho.com/2013/05/10/comm...ensus-lacking/

Changes to the selection criteria and regional sites were never going to be decided at the coaches’ meetings, but NCAA committee members were listening and have some more information to take into their sessions next month.

Some in the coaching fraternity have argued that it’s time to take first-round games back to campus sites, where fans of at least one of the teams can attend without significant travel.

This season, the combined attendance for the four regionals was 37,321, down 48 percent from 2012. The Yale-North Dakota regional final in Grand Rapids, Mich., drew only an announced 1,918 fans.

Other coaches are uncomfortable with the idea of giving an advantage to schools that would host opening-round games.

One proposed format included eight best-of-three series feeding into two regional sites.

Regionals have already been selected for the 2014 tournament, so any changes in tournament format that the NCAA Division I men’s ice hockey committee wouldn’t take effect for two seasons.

“What we’re trying to do as a committee is trying to think of what’s the best format for the tournament, what makes the tournament the best,” outgoing committee chair and Notre Dame senior associate athletic director Tom Nevala said. “And so that’s what we have to continue to debate. I think if we look at whether it’s our options for locations for regionals, ticket pricing, attendance, all the things over time, we’d realize that it can be better than it is today. And we’ve got to figure out how to make it better.”
                      Editorial comment: IMO, the "down 48%" comment is misleading. The attendance at the eastern regionals was actually better than last year, and 2012 included a regional in St. Paul, with Minnesota playing there. It would be better to focus on the raw numbers from Grand Rapids (which is mentioned) and Toledo.

http://rinkandrun.areavoices.com/201...-sharks-sweep/

The plight of NCAA regional tournaments was discussed during NCAA meetings in Florida. And while it is unlikely that NCAA would ever go back to teams hosting at campus sites in the first round, it was talked about, said UMD coach Scott Sandelin. One plan had eight best-of-three first-round series with the eight winners advancing to two Super Regionals.

However, there is no movement to change the present format. Reducing ticket prices and being vigilant about choosing hockey-friendly regional sites were among the main talking points, said Sandelin.

Comment

And I'd LOVE to see a regional at the War Memorial. OK, so I'm a little biased.

Comment

It won't be long before we see an outdoor regional. Bank on it.
                          ---
                          National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                          Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                          19 Conference Championships
                          10 Conference Tournament Championships
                          2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
                            It won't be long before we see an outdoor regional. Bank on it.
                            Thats just plain stupid...
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

The entire attendance-issue could well be moot right now,as long as ESPN shows nearly all the games nationally.

The TV money is there, as well as the national exposure, and can you imagine how embarrassed The World Wide Leader would be, trying to explain why some team like Michigan snuck-in as a 4 seed, and played on campus, just for the sake of filling the bleachers during an event that they were hyping?

Hell, they have trouble selling the PWR, never mind rationalizing the manipulation of attendance... This situation is as good as it's gonna get for the time being.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                                Thats just plain stupid...
                                Yes, but will it still happen? I could see it. Unlikely, but I could see it.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X