Clear All

• Re: Attendance at Regionals

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    Yes
    +1

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
      How can population have "nothing to do with it?" The reason why you get good attendance in Manchester, Providence and Worcester is because there is a LARGE POPULATION within an hour of these locations. There is not a LARGE POPULATION within an hour of Bangor. Unless the percentage of "Maine" hockey fans is three times higher than anywhere else in the country. So what you're saying is, say, 40% of the population in Penobscot County (population: 153,786) will go to the games, whereas only 1% of the population in Eastern Massachusetts (population: about 4,000,000), Southern New Hampshire (population: around 800,000) and Rhode Island (population: 1,050,292) will go to the games down there (the percentages are hypothetical - you get the point).
      Those populations have to be college hockey fans and willing to fork over the money to buy tickets. Less competition for the entertainment dollar in Maine......especially in March.

And by the way........you DO realize that people in Maine don't mind driving 2, 3, 4 hours to see college hockey games......right? Many used to drive to Orono before the program was driven into the ground. Mainers aren't like NH and MA residents that think a "long drive" is 20 minutes.

Comment

The city or the arena?
        If Portland is a crap hole than most other cities in New England must be total sh*t.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishhawk View Post
          Uhhh... YES IT DOES! It's too small, it's 4 hours away from the nearest other D1 hockey team and it has NO ICE!! Maine only sells 4100 tickets to it's own games, you think those people are going to spend 3 or 4 times the money to watch teams from out of state play? I have no axe to grind against you or Maine but watching you make a fool of yourself is getting painful! Please. Stop.
          Yeah.....OK.......whatever.

Comment

Not to mention that most of the games are joined in progress because apparently ESPN doesn't understand that there is not a finite time limit in hockey...especially in the post-season where it seems as though every little thing is "reviewed" and the game drags out longer and longer.
            What would've happened if that St.Lawrence-BU game in Albany years back had been played not at Noon time but in the 5:30 slot this year in Providence? Literally the 2nd game would've started after Midnight! (As it was, I remember people from Michigan had to leave for flights back and couldn't stay to see them play Maine seeing as the start time went from 3:30 to 7 ish).

It's just a matter of time before we get one of those multiple OT games in a venue where the times are staggered late just to accommodate TV. When it happens, not only will they miss broadcasting huge portions of the following game, but it will really screw the fan who paid $80 to see it.

One more reason this whole round needs to be "rethought" by the NCAA.

Comment

Worcester and Manchester both have averaged over 8000, Providence is lower but still respectable.
              Providence, I feel, did well with the field they were allotted, especially when you consider Manchester had two local/nearby HE schools and two big programs out of the WCHA. By comparison, Quinnipiac, Canisius, Union are not necessarily big names that would get the casual fan to show up. BC doesn't always bring huge numbers and they were playing the late game the night before Easter on top of it. To do 11,000 over the two days, with a Q-U final as well, was pretty decent. If they had more "draws" there, I think they would've filled the place up with no problem.

I remember the previous regional in Providence didn't draw that great -- one reason being that the ticket $$ was higher than it was in Worcester (if I'm remembering it correctly) that same year. At least it wasn't any higher this time around, and certainly the promotion was also better this time as well.
              Last edited by HockeyMan2000; 04-02-2013, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
                Mainers aren't like NH and MA residents that think a "long drive" is 20 minutes.
                Easy there, big guy. You're still missing the point. I don't care how long they're willing to drive. As you saw, if you add the total populations of Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Rhode Island (not even including Connecticut), Maine comprises about 12% of that. So what you're telling me is that they will draw as many people as the other venues that have 8 times the population? Good luck.

And just as a side note, we drive to New Jersey (4 1/2 hours) all the time to visit relatives. We don't drive as much because we don't HAVE to...which is the whole point of this discussion. Everything is within closer proximity.

Comment

If Portland is a crap hole than most other cities in New England must be total sh*t.
                  We were talking about Worcester (well, I was anyway). Jeesh, are you sensitive...I like Portland...we go up to Saco all the time...there are a lot of good restaurants in Portland.
                  Last edited by chickod; 04-02-2013, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyMan2000 View Post
                    What would've happened if that St.Lawrence-BU game in Albany years back had been played not at Noon time but in the 5:30 slot this year in Providence?
                    I was at that game (not a good memory ) DiPietro made 77 saves. We had good intentions of staying for the next game, but left after about 10 minutes. Even then, I think I got home at 3:00 a.m.
                    But, the more we complain the more we're going to hear from the people who say, "Be happy it's on at all." Which is true, because years ago the only way you could see these games was to go. It would be nice if they tried to be accomodating, but the reality is the NCAA just doesn't care enough.

Comment

I was at that game (not a good memory ) DiPietro made 77 saves. We had good intentions of staying for the next game, but left after about 10 minutes. Even then, I think I got home at 3:00 a.m.
                      I was there also. I yelled out "Somebody Please Score!" at around the 3-hour mark, which got a lot of laughs from the non-partisans because that point, it was becoming painful to watch these kids try and keep moving.

But, the more we complain the more we're going to hear from the people who say, "Be happy it's on at all." Which is true, because years ago the only way you could see these games was to go. It would be nice if they tried to be accomodating, but the reality is the NCAA just doesn't care enough.
                      But the NCAA does care when they see meager attendance numbers that could be improved. If they're not making as much $$ as they ought to be, then it's something they care about -- putting an inferior product out there that's a money loser IS the kind of thing they'll pay attention to.

I mean, surely these games aren't bringing in big ratings for ESPN. It's good that they're being televised, but really most of the games have been available to people for a long time now (one way or another). If they wanted to, they could put more games into syndication -- like they did back at the time we were up in Albany -- and not do ridiculous things like play late games in Providence with face-offs after 9pm. That's the kind of thing that can be changed. Those Providence games should've been played at Noon and 3:30. I guarantee you they would've had more walk-up business playing at that hour too.

Playing games in empty or half-full arenas isn't good for the sport or the gate that's being generated. I agree totally that 2 regional sites is the way to go. Whether that requires 3 days of games, or a "preliminary" on campus round, we can debate about it. But to me, ever since they split the regionals up into 4 sites, it's been a losing proposition in terms of the quality of the product, and it needs to be addressed. I can't imagine it won't be eventually when you have 1000-2000 fans out west. That's just pathetic (and understandable!).
                      Last edited by HockeyMan2000; 04-02-2013, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyMan2000 View Post
                        Providence, I feel, did well with the field they were allotted, especially when you consider Manchester had two local/nearby HE schools and two big programs out of the WCHA. By comparison, Quinnipiac, Canisius, Union are not necessarily big names that would get the casual fan to show up. BC doesn't always bring huge numbers and they were playing the late game the night before Easter on top of it. To do 11,000 over the two days, with a Q-U final as well, was pretty decent. If they had more "draws" there, I think they would've filled the place up with no problem.

I remember the previous regional in Providence didn't draw that great -- one reason being that the ticket $$ was higher than it was in Worcester (if I'm remembering it correctly) that same year. At least it wasn't any higher this time around, and certainly the promotion was also better this time as well.
                        So what you are saying is that Providence would draw well with the right teams.......and if ticket prices were lower.......and if it wasn't the day before Easter.......and......and....

Comment

Easy there, big guy. You're still missing the point. I don't care how long they're willing to drive. As you saw, if you add the total populations of Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Rhode Island (not even including Connecticut), Maine comprises about 12% of that. So what you're telling me is that they will draw as many people as the other venues that have 8 times the population? Good luck.

And just as a side note, we drive to New Jersey (4 1/2 hours) all the time to visit relatives. We don't drive as much because we don't HAVE to...which is the whole point of this discussion. Everything is within closer proximity.
                          I'm not missing "the point".......I know what "point" you are trying to make.

So tell me why Bangor, Maine draws 10.....12....15K to concerts 10-15 times per summer???? Ticket prices range from $50-$100+...........there just can't be enough people in the Central/Eastern Maine area to generate those types of crowds at those prices multiple times every summer......??? Oh, what's that you say...........people are driving hours to see these concerts? That can't be.........why would people drive to Bangor when there are numerous summer concert venues all over New England.....many with the same concert line-ups........???? Hmmm.........gonna have to think this one through...........

Comment

So what you are saying is that Providence would draw well with the right teams.......and if ticket prices were lower.......and if it wasn't the day before Easter.......and......and....
                            Maybe you're missing that the regional still drew 11260 for the two days, in spite of those factors.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                              Maybe you're missing that the regional still drew 11260 for the two days, in spite of those factors.
                              What was their excuse last time?

Comment

So tell me why Bangor, Maine draws 10.....12....15K to concerts 10-15 times per summer????
                                Huh?? Did I miss something here? Concerts??? ("Playoffs?" - Jim Mora) Um....I would say the number of people who would go to a concert is about 1000 times that who would go to a college hockey game. I appreciate your passion - all of us have it or else we wouldn't be discussing things on here - but what does that have to do with anything???

In order to draw crowds, you have to have a POPULATION BASE to draw from. We're not picking on Maine. I'd say the same thing if it were Vermont. There AREN'T ENOUGH PEOPLE there. Nobody is saying anything about whether they're "good" fans or not. It's the same reason they don't have the American Dental Association (or fill in some major event here) Convention in Old Town. Conversely, it's the same reason whey they have conventions every WEEK in Boston. You live in a RURAL area. Not enough people are going to go there!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X