Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Attendance at Regionals

Originally posted by Farce Poobah View Post
    Yet with all that, last year's St Paul regional outdraw Manchester 2013 by 25%. And the 2-day total (21k) was comparable to the COMBINED total this year of Providence PLUS Toledo AND Grand Rapids.

Time to make St Paul a "permanent" host.
    I would hope a regional in a large metropolitan area you can get a flight to from anywhere with two enormous local fanbases of historic powerhouses would outdraw two teams, one of whom wants their coach fired every five minutes, and the other whose program was nearly axed a few years ago, in a smaller arena that's more difficult to get to, with no easy flights, etc. That'd be like saying, oh, the region with BC and Maine at the TD Garden outdrew Grand Rapids? Best regional EVAR, hold it there every year!

Begs the question, why not just hold it there?
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Yet with all that, last year's St Paul regional outdraw Manchester 2013 by 25%. And the 2-day total (21k) was comparable to the COMBINED total this year of Providence PLUS Toledo AND Grand Rapids.

Time to make St Paul a "permanent" host.
      Might not be a bad idea... particularly with the F5 going away. If not St Paul, I think they need to come up with a "destination weekend" dynamic out West.

So long as they continue to "tweak" the brackets with attendance in mind, I think the Eastern regionals will pretty much be fine. So long as there are one or two of a handful of schools at each East site playing within a couple of hours from home, I think you will see these arenas drawing reasonably. (I'd guess Providence would have been closer to the Manchester numbers had it not been Easter weekend or the game had not been at 9:00).

Comment

Fair enough. I'm torn because you can't argue with those numbers, but I also don't like these regionals being played in NHL arenas. Sure, the two day total is great, but is it a great atmosphere with all those empty seats?

Comment

Sure but in 2010, the St Paul regional drew around 14k without either UND or Minnesota. Still miles ahead of anything else in the West or Mideast.
          Try again:
          http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey...-vs-wisconsin/
          http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey...-vs-wisconsin/

You mean it sold 2,000 less tickets than Manchester?
          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

From Alex Faust
            The last year of the 2-regional, 12-team format drew 36,314 total fans. This year, the 16-team, 4-regional total was 37,321
            There is no West/East divide if you look at the 11-year averages in the 16-team format. E/NE average 6,530, W/MW average 6,496 since 2003.
            Attendance is volatile year-to-year depending on teams in local markets, but on average, reg attendance has dropped 4% per year since '03

Comment

I remember looking those numbers up last year...I was disappointed in what I found

Was hoping the attendance wouldn't be as high as the old format. So they are charging ridiculous ticket prices and still getting more people. They don't care about the atmosphere at these things. That's why it sucks.

Comment

Last edited by 80Miracle; 04-09-2013, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                  Yes, 2000 less - over 2 days - than Manchester. And 3000 more than Providence. And miles and miles ahead of anything mideast or west in the last five years.

Comment

Originally posted by 80Miracle View Post
                    ...Might be time to have two eight team Regionals (example St Paul and Boston)
                    Forget Boston. There's no way that they're going to give up two consecutive weekends near the end of the NHL season for college hockey. They can't even put in a competitive bid for the FF, let alone regionals. And it's not really necessary in the east anyway. Put together a way of scheduling a super regional in St. Paul and you might have something.

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
                      Forget Boston. There's no way that they're going to give up two consecutive weekends near the end of the NHL season for college hockey. They can't even put in a competitive bid for the FF, let alone regionals. And it's not really necessary in the east anyway. Put together a way of scheduling a super regional in St. Paul and you might have something.
                      With the new conferences, Denver/St Paul for the west. Both are mainly central, good cities to have hockey in, etc.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                        With the new conferences, Denver/St Paul for the west. Both are mainly central, good cities to have hockey in, etc.
                        Yes, though attendance might be tough in Denver if neither CC nor DU make the tournament.

Comment

Yes, though attendance might be tough in Denver if neither CC nor DU make the tournament.
                          LOTS of UND alumni there. LOTS. Now if all THREE don't make it.....then yeah.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Yes, and I apologize for slighting the Air Force Academy.

Comment

Yes, and I apologize for slighting the Air Force Academy.
                              They won't travel that much, from what I've seen.

Comment

Denver is out on an island, that's a huge gamble there. CC is 50/50 these days to make it, AF is probably below 25%, and if DU misses, are there enough Sioux/other alums to make it worth the while, because otherwise no one else is going. 100% inaccessible by car from the East. At least Toledo and GR are theoretically driveable from New England/NY. The problem is clearly in the West because of distance, if they held it in St. Paul/Minneapolis every year and maybe one other, perhaps on campus, that would seem to be a good idea.
                                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Working...
                                X