Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Attendance at Regionals

Originally posted by unh1982 View Post
    I have known to be delusional , hockey does well in providence , not that this is the prov, bruins but they draw pretty decent crowds . Hockey is big in RI , and its been a while since we have had the ncaas...we shall see
    There's no way there will be 10,000 on Saturday in Providence. Not a chance. The best draw is BC-Union and it's a 9pm start the night before Easter. Casual fans will have zero interest in Quinnipiac-Canisus, so it's probably going to be a rough go. 5000-6000 is likely best-case scenario for Saturday (and 6K might be pushing it). The timing, the lateness of the games, does not bode well. Also, if BC doesn't make the final, the numbers will be brutal on Sunday night.
    Last edited by HockeyMan2000; 03-30-2013, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
      OK - I'm not going to get into this with you. You sound like one of those "everyone gets a participatory ribbon" folks. That's right. Everything is "equal" in life. Give me a break. YOU can go watch a game in front of 50 people, but no thanks for me. "Atmosphere" is one of the things that makes an event worth attending, but obviously you're one of those people who sits there and criticizes everything instead of going and cheering and having a good time. Sorry, I can't get very excited about watching a game in an empty arena and even less so about PLAYING in one. I have no idea who you are so I'm not "accusing" anyone of anything, but if you have ever played sports you will know that most players feel the same way.
      Quite a lot of getting it into with me for someone who’s not going to get into it with me. And for someone who’s not going to accuse me of anything, you sure make a lot of incorrect assumptions about what I believe in. You also seem to like arguing with straw men that you create.

Everyone is not equal and I don’t believe in participatory ribbons. I just believe that for this tournament one team shouldn’t get an advantage except when it’s necessary, especially given the very flawed system we have for comparing teams. And no, I don’t sit there and criticize everything instead of going and cheering and having a good time. I sit there and cheer and have a good time, even if the arena isn’t full. I like good hockey and don’t feel the need for “atmosphere” to keep me entertained. I have played in front of empty rinks and gotten excitement and enjoyment out of it. If you, as a player, couldn’t get excited about playing in a game with National Championship implications in a less than full arena, you’re right, there’s not much for us to discuss.

Comment

Give him a break. He's from Fitchburg.
        Originally posted by reBlur
        the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
          Give him a break. He's from Fitchburg.
          Home of the Wallace Wallopers of junior hockey lore
          Spaulding get your foot off the boat!

Comment

I wonder if having an extra week to plan travel would help attendance?

Finding out on Sunday night that you have to be in Grand Rapids on Friday can't be easy for a lot of people.

Might be better to have the week of be between the conference tourneys and regionals instead of between the regionals and the ff.

Comment

I also think it hurts when farther west region is in Grand Rapids, Mi. The west and Midwest region favored CCHA teams but no michigan teams go in and only 2 CCHA teams got in. I think it was poor planing by NCAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesus of Suburbia View Post
                I also think it hurts when farther west region is in Grand Rapids, Mi. The west and Midwest region favored CCHA teams but no michigan teams go in and only 2 CCHA teams got in. I think it was poor planing by NCAA.
                But the sites are picked long before they know what teams are in.

I'm sure they were hoping that a Michigan school ended up in GR.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post

With Michigan as the host and having made 75,000 tournaments in a row, I'm sure they weren't banking on that ending this year. UM there certainly would've put a few more butts in seats.
                  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

I know, it was just bad luck. It hard to believe a Michigan school did not get in.

Comment

This Providence regional is sold out.
                      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyMan2000 View Post
                        There's no way there will be 10,000 on Saturday in Providence. Not a chance. The best draw is BC-Union and it's a 9pm start the night before Easter. Casual fans will have zero interest in Quinnipiac-Canisus, so it's probably going to be a rough go. 5000-6000 is likely best-case scenario for Saturday (and 6K might be pushing it). The timing, the lateness of the games, does not bode well. Also, if BC doesn't make the final, the numbers will be brutal on Sunday night.
                        several no many people have said im on crack , for giving out my prediction for attendance in prov. looks like there is 5000 already without BC...hmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by unh1982 View Post
                          several no many people have said im on crack , for giving out my prediction for attendance in prov. looks like there is 5000 already without BC...hmmmmm
                          There weren't 5,000 BC fans at the Garden for a Friday night HE Tournament game against BU, you think 5,000 are going to show up for a tournament game in Providence against Union?
                          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                            There weren't 5,000 BC fans at the Garden for a Friday night HE Tournament game against BU, you think 5,000 are going to show up for a tournament game in Providence against Union?
                            BC has fans when they're not playing for the national championship or Beanpot? Are you sure?

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                              This Providence regional is sold out.
                              Source?
                              LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

But putting both western regionals east of Lake Michigan was a foreseeable issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X