Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bentley Falcons 2013-2014: No offseason. No excuses.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by schiegs View Post
    On a side note...

Anyone else notice how the perennial chorus of how the "western teams should kick out the eastern teams because they drag down the conference" has ceased?
    Hoping for Bentley and UConn in Rochester.

Nice offensive production at Tate Rink last night;.how about the same tonight at the JAR!

Comment

• Re: Bentley Falcons 2013-2014: No offseason. No excuses.

Does anyone know if tonight's game is still on?
      Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Bentley's PP had dropped to third, but should be back in second after tonight. Go Falcons!

Comment

Phew!
          Bentley University Hockey
          On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Exactly. Praise the third line in OT. As Larry Bird said, "live by the three point play, die by the three point play." Same applies to the power play in hockey. Six of eight goals in regulation on the PP tonight.

Comment

How was the turnout? Snow keep people at home?

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
                How was the turnout? Snow keep people at home?
                Great crowd on hand, but I was a little perturbed by how they acted. The yelling and screaming at the refs and the Army bench actually made me uncomfortable at one point. I thought the Navy's Better chant was creative, but moving forward, I would urge the Bentley faithful to police themselves a little bit better and act more mature. As a veteran of 15 years or so of watching college sports religiously, especially hockey, there needs to be more of a "cheer your team but don't cheer against the opponent" attitude.

If asked the question earlier of if I'd rather have fans who act crazy or no fans at all again, the answer is simple - I'd rather have no fans at all if we're going to act like that. You win with class, lose with more class, and you just quite simply don't act like that at games. This is the same era where a crazy fan caused a college basketball player to give a shove; this was Army. This wasn't RIT or Niagara. Army players shouldn't be subjected to that given where they play.

A scary moment during the game where an Army player went down hurt and was stretchered off. Does anyone have an update on his condition?

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

• Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                  Great crowd on hand, but I was a little perturbed by how they acted. The yelling and screaming at the refs and the Army bench actually made me uncomfortable at one point. I thought the Navy's Better chant was creative, but moving forward, I would urge the Bentley faithful to police themselves a little bit better and act more mature. As a veteran of 15 years or so of watching college sports religiously, especially hockey, there needs to be more of a "cheer your team but don't cheer against the opponent" attitude.

If asked the question earlier of if I'd rather have fans who act crazy or no fans at all again, the answer is simple - I'd rather have no fans at all if we're going to act like that. You win with class, lose with more class, and you just quite simply don't act like that at games. This is the same era where a crazy fan caused a college basketball player to give a shove; this was Army. This wasn't RIT or Niagara. Army players shouldn't be subjected to that given where they play.

A scary moment during the game where an Army player went down hurt and was stretchered off. Does anyone have an update on his condition?
                  I could not get to the JAR on Saturday night for the Army game, but sounds like some of our Bentley students have continued their despicable behavior from the UConn game at the JAR last weekend. Sad, because they have probably given the Bentley admin cause never to build a rink on campus. It pains me to write this, as I have followed this team through thick and thin for 27 years, and the team deserves better from its young fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                    I could not get to the JAR on Saturday night for the Army game, but sounds like some of our Bentley students have continued their despicable behavior from the UConn game at the JAR last weekend. Sad, because they have probably given the Bentley admin cause never to build a rink on campus. It pains me to write this, as I have followed this team through thick and thin for 27 years, and the team deserves better from its young fans.
                    I will refrain from any comments on the crowd or its actions and leave that discussion to other people.

The Army player that took a bad hit was stretchered to a nearby medical facility with a bad concussion. He had full movement of his extremities, is alert, and is awake. The hit into the stanchion was completely incidental, and Brian Riley went so far as to absolve Tyler Deresky of any sin from that hit after the game. He knew it wasn't intentional, was an accident, and was one of those unfortunate things that happens.

He did require stitches and I'm not sure if he traveled back to West Point with the team, but after seeing him placed on a gurney with a neck brace for precautionary issues, I'm very happy to hear that he did not have any bleeding into his brain and was okay. It could've been a lot worse.

Got to speak with Coach Riley and the team's lone senior, Brian Schultz, after the game. I will be featuring them in this week's column for the AHA, and let me tell you - I was very humbled by this young man.
                    Win today and we'll walk together forever. -Ray Shero

Comment

Frankly, you can razz pretty much any team in college sports all you want, with four exceptions; our service academies. These young men and women will spend four years busting their humps, getting up at the crack of dawn, drilling, studying until their eyes ache, completing an incredibly intense academic curriculum, AND participating in a Division I sport.

Oh, and then they will put their lives on the line to give us the liberty to sit in Falcone Hall, play X-Box, drink beer, and go a week without so much as a shower.

A primate can exercise spirit without dignity by throwing its $h!+ around. Please show us you're better than a primate.

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post

I was standing in the corner and talked to the emt's when they got back.They said he had a pretty good gash on his forehead and maybe concussed but overall was doing pretty well.
                        We're not here for a long time,we're here for a good time.

Comment

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/atla...-tyler-deresky

Game recap…Bruckler has a concussion, very unfortunate, but considering he was carted off with a possible neck injury, I'm glad he is doing alright.
                          https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                          Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
                            Frankly, you can razz pretty much any team in college sports all you want, with four exceptions; our service academies. These young men and women will spend four years busting their humps, getting up at the crack of dawn, drilling, studying until their eyes ache, completing an incredibly intense academic curriculum, AND participating in a Division I sport.

Oh, and then they will put their lives on the line to give us the liberty to sit in Falcone Hall, play X-Box, drink beer, and go a week without so much as a shower.

A primate can exercise spirit without dignity by throwing its $h!+ around. Please show us you're better than a primate.
                            I think the students need to remember a couple of things. Even though they've developed a good relationship with the team, a) this is still just a game and b) they have to remember that they're just spectators. They can make these moves and call coaches and get involved as best as they can, and they can try to put pressure on the administration, but they're teetering on being out of control. Dan - I think you called a "blending" of the relationship between fan and team. I think there needs to be more of an emphasis on the fact that the students are still spectators, and even if they have a good relationship with the players, the admins, the coaches, or the team - they can't do that. There is still a line that they have to be very careful not to cross.

Again, I come back to that basketball player. If they're not careful, they'll find themselves in an explosive situation that they'll be at fault for. And there's another good point that gets brought up - that this was done to Army is just plain bad. I've often joked when attending games that Air Force is usually a target despite being a service academy because their coach is a character. But it can never go overboard as long as its kept in good fun. There's something that felt incredibly dirty about doing it to Army. These are foot soldiers who fight for freedom. Even if, at the end of the game, the students do recognize that, they simply can't hammer away at the cadets the way they did. It makes the game atmosphere uncomfortable.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                              http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/atla...-tyler-deresky

Game recap…Bruckler has a concussion, very unfortunate, but considering he was carted off with a possible neck injury, I'm glad he is doing alright.
                              For what it's worth, this was a game that last year, Bentley would've absolutely found a way to lose. Two years ago, most likely they lose it too. Pretty much since 2009, theyh'd have found a way to lose this one. So in its own way, it's a good thing this happened. Takes all kinds of wins right?
                              Win today and we'll walk together forever. -Ray Shero

Comment

• Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                                I think the students need to remember a couple of things. Even though they've developed a good relationship with the team, a) this is still just a game and b) they have to remember that they're just spectators. They can make these moves and call coaches and get involved as best as they can, and they can try to put pressure on the administration, but they're teetering on being out of control. Dan - I think you called a "blending" of the relationship between fan and team. I think there needs to be more of an emphasis on the fact that the students are still spectators, and even if they have a good relationship with the players, the admins, the coaches, or the team - they can't do that. There is still a line that they have to be very careful not to cross.

Again, I come back to that basketball player. If they're not careful, they'll find themselves in an explosive situation that they'll be at fault for. And there's another good point that gets brought up - that this was done to Army is just plain bad. I've often joked when attending games that Air Force is usually a target despite being a service academy because their coach is a character. But it can never go overboard as long as its kept in good fun. There's something that felt incredibly dirty about doing it to Army. These are foot soldiers who fight for freedom. Even if, at the end of the game, the students do recognize that, they simply can't hammer away at the cadets the way they did. It makes the game atmosphere uncomfortable.
                                Better said than I.

Comment

Working...
                                X