Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bentley Falcons 2013-2014: No offseason. No excuses.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bentley Falcons 2013-2014: No offseason. No excuses.

Congrats, Falcons! Will take 3 points in a western pod team's barn any time. Win out at the JAR, pick up a couple of points at Mercyhurst, and should have a bye and home ice in the post-season.

Comment

At some point in time we are going to have to say good job boys and nice job coaching to all the coaches. The team just seems much different than last year. Better D, Offense great, goal tending really good, and a spirit of not giving in. They have some tough games in UCONN, Mercyhurst coming up. So I plan on attending both weekends....It will be two huge weekends.

Comment

Replace the JAR Give the future recruits a rink they really can call home.

Comment

Originally posted by wwjg1158 View Post
          At some point in time we are going to have to say good job boys and nice job coaching to all the coaches. The team just seems much different than last year. Better D, Offense great, goal tending really good, and a spirit of not giving in. They have some tough games in UCONN, Mercyhurst coming up. So I plan on attending both weekends....It will be two huge weekends.
          Bentley didn't play well enough to win that game yesterday but they did a good job of not losing it. That's half the battle.

Big game this weekend against Holy Cross. Would love to see a season sweep and Holy Cross is not nearly as bad as one would think. Bentley needs to keep winning since the league is splitting into some tightly packed groups.
          Win today and we'll walk together forever. -Ray Shero

Comment

Storylines from Canisius:

http://jarpride.com/2014/01/20/storylines-canisius/

Comment

• Originally posted by The Top Shelf View Post
              Gensler, Grieve and Weinstein up for Hobey nomination! http://www.hobeybaker.com/awards/the...ial-award/vote
              Weinstein needs more Hobey votes! He is running away with the D-men points race, with only Union's Matt Bodi close now, as UNH Trevor Van Reimsdyk injured over the weekend.

Comment

Updating the history chase. Brett Gensler could break the D1 all-time assists record this weekend, and STeve Weinstein should break the single season record. Some all-time records could fall as well.

Still have no idea against the league, but I'll send a note their way to see if they have anything.

Comment

Here is a copy of my post from last night to the UNH season thread, in reply to a post about TVR breaking a leg and his future prospects as an undrafted NHL D-man.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Murray View Post

"It will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next few months. The timing probably couldn't be worse for the player OR the team. TvR was arguably shaping up as a prime undrafted free agent for someone to sign late in the NHL season - similar to two guys in a similar position this time last year (Danny DeKeyser/WMU/Red Wings amd Torey Krug/MSU/Bruins) who left school after their junior years, and went on to make a significant positive impact with their new NHL teams in the playoffs. It's obviously too late in the season for a medical redshirt, and the injury comes too late for any chance of a return for the end of the college season. Even if we were to assume a team that might be interested in signing him was going into the NHL playoffs, and had room to play him (keeping in mind both DeKeyser and Krug were aided by injuries to other players to get their initial breaks, and otherwise were most likely ticketed for AHL/Calder Cup assignments) ... with the apparent weight-bearing nature of the injury, any shot at rehabbing in time to get back into the mix is pretty much shot now as well. Teams would likewise have reservations until they seem him play again.

So if we're looking for silver linings (at least from a UNH perspective, if not from TvR's perspective), then there's a pretty good chance TvR might be back in Durham next season. Get back up to speed, prove himself to be fit, another year of growth and physical maturity should help him land a pretty good FA deal at that point - he'll certainly have more leverage as a healthy player to dictate good terms, unless someone is willing to take a risk on him this offseason, and pay him as if the injury never happened. Maybe with the "genes" a GM may be out there willing to take that chance. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing him develop in Detroit with DeKeyser ... but under the category of wanting my cake and eating it too, I'm hoping that happens in April 2015."

Quote of Reply from Snively65:

Interesting D-men analogies, Chuck.

Here are the data that support your points. Although TVR is more similar in size to DeKeyser, he is on a much higher scoring pace, very similar to Krug's in points per game. But, the D-man that I really like is junior Steve Weinstein at Bentley, who like TVR spends less time in the penalty box and more time on the ice than Krug and DeKeyser did. Weinstein is fast, can move the puck up ice, and he can pass, like TVR; wish that Bentley might get a visit to Lake Whitt next year so that Weinstein would have a chance to play on the big sheet. How did Mat Bodi look this past weekend on the big sheet; he is the other of the top 3 scoring D-men in Div 1 so far this season.

year, games, goals+assists=points, points per game, pen minutes

TVR, 6'2", 185#
                  2013-14, 26, 4+19=23, 0.88, 22
                  2012-13, 39, 8+25=33, 0.85, 8
                  2011-12, 37, 4+15=19, 0.51, 24
                  totals, 101, 16+59=75, 0.73, 54

Krug, 5'9'', 175#
                  2011-12, 38, 12+22=34, 0.89, 20
                  2010-11, 38, 11+17=28, 0.74, 28
                  2009-10, 38, 3+18=21, 0.55, 30
                  totals, 114, 26+57=83, 0.73, 78

DeKesyer, 6'3", 198#
                  2012-13, 35, 2+13=15, 0.43, 22
                  2011-12, 41, 5+12=17, 0.41, 42
                  2010-11, 42, 5+12=17, 0.40, 43
                  totals, 118, 12+37=49, 0.42, 107

Weinstein, 5'10", 175#
                  2013-14, 23, 1+28=29, 1.26, 8
                  2012-13, 35, 6+19=25, 0.71, 12
                  2011-12, 38, 2+16=18, 0.47, 8
                  totals, 96, 9+63=72, 0.75, 28

Comment

Personally I feel the year is one in which many of our players are putting it all together. That includes Weinstein, Gensler, Grieve, Glads, etc....other role players are contributing as well and it may not show up on the score sheet but it does on the W's we collect. Personally torn on whom deserves the daily vote for Hobey Baker...at this point I believe the Senior deserves the vote as he started it all and this is his last year. I am sure anyone can debate that choice but a solid three years, knocking down the school records and when needed has stepped up his game. I believe the Frozen Fenway proved that out. So all three are deserving of the recognition but the Senior gets my vote as this is his last year at Bentley!!

Good Luck Fellas!

Comment

So in case you guys missed it:

http://jarpride.com/2014/01/22/ncaa-...-contact-date/

Interesting thing this is because it removes restrictions on contact over electronic methods with recruits. It also ups the date recruits can talk with coaches. So I'm interested to see how/if this actually helps college hockey since they can get the jump on Canadian junior leagues now.

Comment

Originally posted by eXcSports View Post
                        So in case you guys missed it:

http://jarpride.com/2014/01/22/ncaa-...-contact-date/

Interesting thing this is because it removes restrictions on contact over electronic methods with recruits. It also ups the date recruits can talk with coaches. So I'm interested to see how/if this actually helps college hockey since they can get the jump on Canadian junior leagues now.
                        And some light reading about Bentley's pro players around the world.

http://jarpride.com/2014/01/23/bentl...the-pro-ranks/

Comment

• Originally posted by eXcSports View Post
                          And some light reading about Bentley's pro players around the world.

http://jarpride.com/2014/01/23/bentl...the-pro-ranks/
                          Great stuff, Dan! I sat next to Kyle's mom at a Northford Arena game against Sacred Heart; she had driven around the City from Long Gisland to watch her son play.

Sorry that I will miss game at Hart Arena on Saturday night, as I am in NH after watching my injured Cats survive with a 3-2 win to keep the Black Bears winless on the road this season. Where is your Bentley - Holy Cross preview?!?!? This is one of the greatest rivalries in Div 1.

Go Falcons! And, vote early and often (once every 24 hours) to keep Gensler, Grieve, and Weinstein in the Hobey running!

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                            Great stuff, Dan! I sat next to Kyle's mom at a Northford Arena game against Sacred Heart; she had driven around the City from Long Gisland to watch her son play.

Sorry that I will miss game at Hart Arena on Saturday night, as I am in NH after watching my injured Cats survive with a 3-2 win to keep the Black Bears winless on the road this season. Where is your Bentley - Holy Cross preview?!?!? This is one of the greatest rivalries in Div 1.

Go Falcons! And, vote early and often (once every 24 hours) to keep Gensler, Grieve, and Weinstein in the Hobey running!
                            Fear not. http://jarpride.com/2014/01/24/final...-holy-cross-2/

Also - the game prep with stats is later. It'll be nice to watch Ginn and Komm one more time since the two are so tied together.

Comment

Sweep!!!!

Combined with Mercyhurst's loss, tonight's win makes next weekend's series huge; 1 vs. 2, separated by 2 pts. A sweep by either team merits being called best team in the league.
                              Bentley University Hockey
                              On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

• Originally posted by schiegs View Post
                                Sweep!!!!

Combined with Mercyhurst's loss, tonight's win makes next weekend's series huge; 1 vs. 2, separated by 2 pts. A sweep by either team merits being called best team in the league.
                                I would be happy with a split in Erie next weekend, but three points to even things up would be sweet. I like the Falcons' remaining schedule compared to the Lakers' . But, Falcons need to sweep the other four weekends, I think.

Comment

Working...
                                X