Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bentley Falcons 2013-2014: No offseason. No excuses.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eXcSports View Post
    And the AHA hasn't won squat this year out of conference, so all of that gets taken with a grain of salt by other analysts not named me.

They've fared better than the rest of the league (except for maybe Air Force) in the non-conference games (which says everything about the league this year).
    I would rank Sacred Heart's win over UML as the biggest upset OOC win in the AHA so far this season.

Comment

• Re: Bentley Falcons 2013-2014: No offseason. No excuses.

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      I would rank Sacred Heart's win over UML as the biggest upset OOC win in the AHA so far this season.
      Agree. That's been the biggest win, but statistically, they've struggled and the league is headed for its worst showing int he AHA era ever.

http://jarpride.com/2013/11/11/storylines-aic/

Here are the storylines, mostly focusing on the defense and summarizing the game. Like I said, I don't think this game is an indication of anything, and I think the team has made vast improvements since the Sacred Heart loss. Anyone who'd been watching some of the games would agree that this team has played very good hockey, and they took a giant (and,a gain, i do mean GIANT) step backwards.

Snively - I agree on the penalties. I actually left that part out on the storylines, but I will add this point as an addendum. You bring up a very good poitn. In three games this year, we've now talked about dumb penalties. Bacon had the game DQ against Merrimack. Berry had a bad penalty against Army. Grieve's penalty at the end of the first was a dumb penalty to take with a puck against the wall and 5 seconds left int he period. The PK couldn't stop anything against AIC (but then again, neither could anything on 5-on-5 either), but I'm not putting too much stock into it for the poitn I raise about this being an outlier. I think the PK is better than this game indicated, but they can't be on the ice as much as they have.

There are good penalties and there are bad penalties. I believe Bentley has taken at least one bad penalty in each of their last three games that has cost the team dearly. They gave up the eventual game winning goal ont he Bacon major penalty against MACK, and as mentioned by someone (I really don't remember who) - the Berry penalty almost allowed Army back in at a key juncture. The 3 pp goals - if you stop 2 of them (which is a 67% ratio, more than expected) - you win the game against AIC. It's a fine line to walk when you're a physical team that plays that style. They need to find the harmony between being physical and taking a bad penalty, which is something the coaches will need to work on.
      Win today and we'll walk together forever. -Ray Shero

Comment

Bentley has received a commitment from Kyle Schmidt of the USHL.

http://jarpride.com/2013/11/11/kyle-...ts-to-bentley/

Comment

Big thanks to Will Moran from UConn for catching up with me. Extremely knowledgeable about his program and the game of hockey in general.

http://jarpride.com/2013/11/12/uconn...-championship/

Comment

I forgot to ask what others think of the new dark netting along the entire length of the rink on the side of the seats? I think that it is going to take me a while to adapt to the obstruction. Also, fewer loose pucks to sell on EBay.

Comment

I forgot to ask what others think of the new dark netting along the entire length of the rink on the side of the seats? I think that it is going to take me a while to adapt to the obstruction. Also, fewer loose pucks to sell on EBay.
              I can't stand it, but my focus goes through it so I can live with it. It's not as bad as I thought it would be. Still.... it's horrible for sight lines, even if it's needed to protect the fans. From what I understand, the JAR did that independently and was a move not sanctioned or promoted by the school. The school wanted a clear net or something that wouldn't reflect off the ice. It doesn't look bad looking up from the ice level, but the contrast from black to the hyper blue of the ice is different.

Gettin' ya covered for the weekend:

jarpride.com/2013/11/15/game-preps-10-11-uconnholy-cross/

http://jarpride.com/2013/11/15/final-thoughts-uconn/

Comment

Best game of the season in 3-0 win over Huskies tonight; congrats to Bentley Falcons.

Comment

Best game of the season in 3-0 win over Huskies tonight; congrats to Bentley Falcons.
                  Another great win tonight and one of the best performances by the team this season. Four point weekends are always great. Congrats to the team, and a great win today in front of another solid crowd turnout.

Comment

• Originally posted by eXcSports View Post
                    Another great win tonight and one of the best performances by the team this season. Four point weekends are always great. Congrats to the team, and a great win today in front of another solid crowd turnout.
                    The Falcons played disciplined hockey this weekend, taking fewer dumb penalties. Also, they re-found their long lost PP from early last season. So, 3-2 against their eastern pod brethren. Now, time to see how the eastern pod teams stack up against the western pod.

Comment

and how often does Holy Cross get zero points on a weekend?

Comment

The Falcons played disciplined hockey this weekend, taking fewer dumb penalties. Also, they re-found their long lost PP from early last season. So, 3-2 against their eastern pod brethren. Now, time to see how the eastern pod teams stack up against the western pod.
                        Yes, they did, what a little benching can do for the penalty prone......

Nice "winning line up" to bring into the Air Force Weekend. Top to bottom. Obviously the Defensive shut down of Uconn was the bigger of the two, more important to not give up than get goals in some games...And the return of the PP!.

Winning in OT is always nice but a little troublesome to get themself in that position in the first place. Rookie dman mistake led to tying goal and to see it repeated 3 mins later by the same player for the go ahead goal..... Maybe a rookie defensive coach mistake.....Accountability

Bentley gets into trouble that can lead to outcomes like AIC's when adjustments aren't made or are not based on the sitution on the ice. in real time.

Solid lines F and D , seen a bigger effort and forecheck on offensive too.

So whatever was done to lines, game plan etc to produce such a great outcome over two solid teams you don't change a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by CornwallAce View Post
                          and how often does Holy Cross get zero points on a weekend?

about as often as Bentley gets 4......
                          Last edited by beenthere77; 11-18-2013, 02:00 PM.

Comment

I picked Bentley to split this past weekend, but of course am delighted that they came away with 4 points.

Lots of time to practice and prep for Air For now, the only AHA team to have two OOC wins this season.

Comment

Be great to pick up some more points at Air Force, any fans going?? post some updates... I think wwjg mentioned he would be attending and he can post as he did from omaha please.

Comment

Originally posted by beenthere77 View Post
                                Be great to pick up some more points at Air Force, any fans going?? post some updates... I think wwjg mentioned he would be attending and he can post as he did from omaha please.
                                My brother, who lives in Lakewood, may catch one Bentley and one UNH game (the Cats are visiting CC). I had hoped to fly out for the break, but too much work.

Comment

Working...
                                X