Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bentley Falcons 2013-2014: No offseason. No excuses.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bentley Falcons 2013-2014: No offseason. No excuses.

Interesting look at the correlation between the popularity of the NHL, attendance in college hockey, and the availability of media outlets. Looking to incite some discussion on this one.

http://jarpride.com/2013/07/25/nhl-a...e-correlation/
    Win today and we'll walk together forever. -Ray Shero

Comment

Any ideas on how the lines and D pairings will shake out for the opening weekend in Omaha? Which incoming frosh forwards will likely see ice time early in the season?

Comment

Bentley names new assistant coach in Matt Curley http://jarpride.com/2013/08/01/curle...ey-asst-coach/

Comment

I know we have discussed this before but one would think that the current changes in arenas would put pressure on our recruiting efforts. A nice new professional rink will only hurt the falcons and the JAR! Thoughts? Will this administration step up?

Comment

What does the new coach bring to the table?

Comment

• Originally posted by wwjg1158 View Post
              I know we have discussed this before but one would think that the current changes in arenas would put pressure on our recruiting efforts. A nice new professional rink will only hurt the falcons and the JAR! Thoughts? Will this administration step up?
              I do not understand your second sentence; how would a new rink on campus hurt the Falcons? The JAR would manage just fine without the Falcons; despite my fond memories of the place, I would not miss it.

As far as what Matt Curley "brings to the table" as an assistant at Bentley, I think his 126 games played over his four years at Clarkson and his subsequent years playing pro and coaching juniors will be invaluable to the Falcons.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                I do not understand your second sentence; how would a new rink on campus hurt the Falcons? The JAR would manage just fine without the Falcons; despite my fond memories of the place, I would not miss it.

As far as what Matt Curley "brings to the table" as an assistant at Bentley, I think his 126 games played over his four years at Clarkson and his subsequent years playing pro and coaching juniors will be invaluable to the Falcons.
                A lot of our fans were complaining that Bentley did not have a coach in touch with the juniors level. Now Bentley has a coach there. So clearly the coaching staff is on the same page witht he fans, for better or for worse.

I like the move because it's a shift in thinking. It gets a defensive coach on the roster to allow Ben Murphy to coach the offense. Also, since he's coming up from juniors, Murphy can help breed him to help with recruiting since he will clearly have a pulse on the way the juniors work. This can only be beneficial. I'm glad the school opened up its pockets and hired a new coach since Charlie Carkin is really just a strength coach and trainer. When Murphy is on the road, Bentley was left with just one body in the form of Ryan Soderquist. Spreading that around can only be beneficial now with 2 assistants and a 3rd in Carkin. That's almost a full staff.

Also, if you look at other teams, there's been more of a move to the juniors level in terms of assistants. We're seeing more and more prep school and juniors coaches becoming NCAA assistants.
                Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Ok, so, whassup with the occipital part of the external exuberance?

Comment

Ok, so, whassup with the occipital part of the external exuberance?
                    It's Gorilla Monsoon speak for the back of the head. Gorilla Monsoon did wrestling commentary with Bobby the Brain. Bobby the Brain referred to everyone as Humanoids. Hence, my name.

It entertains me. Nobody else gets it! =)

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

• Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                      A lot of our fans were complaining that Bentley did not have a coach in touch with the juniors level. Now Bentley has a coach there. So clearly the coaching staff is on the same page witht he fans, for better or for worse.

I like the move because it's a shift in thinking. It gets a defensive coach on the roster to allow Ben Murphy to coach the offense. Also, since he's coming up from juniors, Murphy can help breed him to help with recruiting since he will clearly have a pulse on the way the juniors work. This can only be beneficial. I'm glad the school opened up its pockets and hired a new coach since Charlie Carkin is really just a strength coach and trainer. When Murphy is on the road, Bentley was left with just one body in the form of Ryan Soderquist. Spreading that around can only be beneficial now with 2 assistants and a 3rd in Carkin. That's almost a full staff.

Also, if you look at other teams, there's been more of a move to the juniors level in terms of assistants. We're seeing more and more prep school and juniors coaches becoming NCAA assistants.

Sorry didn't type then read! I was tring to say the new venues for the different teams can only hurt Bentley's recruiting. Looks like some of the aha teams are getting upgraded better facilities! IE RIT Canisiaus. Bentley really needs to invest in a rink!

Comment

• Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                        It's Gorilla Monsoon speak for the back of the head. Gorilla Monsoon did wrestling commentary with Bobby the Brain. Bobby the Brain referred to everyone as Humanoids. Hence, my name.

It entertains me. Nobody else gets it! =)
                        Ok, now it is all coming back; I had forgotten the humanoids reference also. Now I get it. :-)

Wwjg, I agree that we really need a nice rink on campus, and it could happen eventually. But, baby steps here, as I am delighted that Bentley has invested in an additional assistant coach. The best thing that the team can do now, as in this coming season, is get to the NCAAs in March 2014, just as Humanoid titled this thread.

Comment

Ok, now it is all coming back; I had forgotten the humanoids reference also. Now I get it. :-)

Wwjg, I agree that we really need a nice rink on campus, and it could happen eventually. But, baby steps here, as I am delighted that Bentley has invested in an additional assistant coach. The best thing that the team can do now, as in this coming season, is get to the NCAAs in March 2014, just as Humanoid titled this thread.
                          Also bear in mind that it was reported this year by Dan that the athletic department upped scholarships to 12 from 8. So coupled with an assistant coach, there's been a sizable investment in the program this offseason.

Word has it that the JAR is also getting an enlarged press box and video review, just to further the investment discussion.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Niagara up next. http://jarpride.com/2013/08/04/know-your-enemy-niagara/

I don't know a lot about the school's opening up of resources, so I won't speculate. But Bentley has been getting behind the hockey program for a couple of years. Therefore, it's only natural to add an assistant coach and make continued renvoations to the JAR. They need to get the program fully ready for a new rink and fix things on the car before they build it a garage. Scholarships and a new asst. coach are steps in the right direction.

Also bear in mind that Ben Murphy interviewed for the maine position. When Murphy came on board when whitey left, there was a major growing pain in the changeover year, both in terms of systematic coaching approach and recruiting. It's obvious Murphy won't be here beyond the next recruiting cycle, so this will allow him to transition it nicely to Coach Curley in the event he leaves after any season. Curley is about the same age (30 to Murphy's 32), played at a d1 school and is coming up from a lower program (the USHL is not lower in terms of talent, but there's a jump from juniors to D1, just as there was a jump for Murphy from Castleton to D1....what I mean is it's a whole new ball game).

As always on the link above, I welcome roster changes in the event someone left NIagara and it wasn't in my research or notes.

Comment

RMU is one of the teams I'm actually pretty excited to check out this year. Should be a good litmus test for the Falcons.

http://jarpride.com/2013/08/08/know-...robert-morris/

Comment

Just caught the "Know Your Enemy" on RIT (link: http://jarpride.com/2013/08/12/know-...itute-of-tech/ )

Love reading an outsider's perspective on my [former] school. One quick note - Josh Watson left the school (or at least the team) this summer, so they have Jordan Ruby, Ken MacLean (Sophomore, played in 1 game last year), and a new Freshman goalie, Mike Rotolo.

I always enjoy match ups with Bentley, so I am hoping to see you guys come to the "hellacious" Ritter (or even Blue Cross Arena) in March!
                                Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
                                College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
                                Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016
                                Men's Frozen Four 2010
                                Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
                                Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

Working...
                                X