Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bentley Falcons 2013-2014: No offseason. No excuses.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bentley Falcons 2013-2014: No offseason. No excuses.

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
    Ben Murphy might be joining Gendron's staff at Maine. Twitter reports saying he's a candidate.
    It would make sense since he scored arguably the most important in Maine hockey history, and he's a major, major, major legend in Orono for that reason.
    Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
      It would make sense since he scored arguably the most important GOAL in Maine hockey history, and he's a major, major, major legend in Orono for that reason.
      JFYP. So, if Ben leaves Bentley, who would be a good replacement?

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        JFYP. So, if Ben leaves Bentley, who would be a good replacement?
        Thanks for that.

If he leaves, I'd imagine reaching down into D3. That's where Soderquist found Murphy when he was at Castleton. The Mark White hiring was where Soderquist brought in a guy that was a personal, close friend that he grew up with playing against and with. Murphy was really the first hire from outside the Soderquist playing tree.

I can see RJ Tolan coming back to Bentley, where he assisted in 03-04. He's doen nicely for himself after his first two years bouncing around. 4 year athlete at UMass-Lowell under Tim Whitehead (he might've finished under Blaise MacDonald though), played at Matignon HIgh School, and is about Soderquist's age, meaning they played together and know each other despite a couple of years difference. Has been at Wentworth doing very well, and he's the strength and conditioning coach down there. That would solve some of the issues Bentley has with the players not responding well to Charlie Carkin.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

I do have some information, but it's limited. Murphy is rumored for several spots including in ECAC. I wouldn't be shocked to see him at Brown because Souza just left for UConn, and WHittet loves Bentley guys (White is his associate head coach).

Here's what I know so far, including that Soderquist's name has come up for several jobs, including BU and UConn, albeit not seriously (more of a "if these guys say no"). He was pretty seriously considered at UMass as their next choice after Micheletto (who was the 8th choice anyways).

http://excalibursportspage.com/2013/...rphy-to-maine/
          Win today and we'll walk together forever. -Ray Shero

Comment

It would make sense since he scored arguably the most important in Maine hockey history, and he's a major, major, major legend in Orono for that reason.
            Uhh...Maine won NCAA Championships in 1993 and 1999 and other Hockey East championships...Ben Murphy scored a huge goal, but the biggest in school history? uuhhhh...nooo.

Comment

Uhh...Maine won NCAA Championships in 1993 and 1999 and other Hockey East championships...Ben Murphy scored a huge goal, but the biggest in school history? uuhhhh...nooo.
              That's why it's called arguably the biggest. So that people can "argue" if it is or if it isn't.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

That is going a little overboard! I can think of a few goals that were a little more important (Jim Montgomery and Marcus Gustafson might argue they scored more important goals)

Comment

That's why it's called arguably the biggest. So that people can "argue" if it is or if it isn't.
                  Loved Murphy as a player but I can think of 5 more important goals in Maine hockey lore. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                    That is going a little overboard! I can think of a few goals that were a little more important (Jim Montgomery and Marcus Gustafson might argue they scored more important goals)
                    Yeah, being a University of No Hardware alum, I would agree with Gustafsson's goal in OT against a tough team with a great goalie and a Hobey winner.

Comment

• Re: Bentley Falcons 2013-2014: No offseason. No excuses.

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                      Yeah, being a University of No Hardware alum, I would agree with Gustafsson's goal in OT against a tough team with a great goalie and a Hobey winner.
                      Or the comeback goals against Lake Superior, some of the NCAA OT goals, etc. Look Murphy's goal was huge, but lots of big goals were scored 1990-2004.

Comment

The thing is no Maine fan would argue it is the biggest goal in the history of the program. If a goal is arguably the biggest goal in the history of the program then you would find a bunch of people that would be willing to actually make that argument. I can't say George W. Bush was arguably the best president in the history of the country if no one would be willing to make that argument. I don't think anyone else would call him a "major, major, major legend" either. He was a hard working player, not a high scoring superstar, and you won't see his number hanging from the rafters. That's certainly how I remember him: a player that wasn't the most skilled on his team but one that also gave it his all.

Sure, he scored the game winning goal in a conference championship that was the result of hard work and not giving up -- it wasn't a pretty goal. I'd be happy to see him come back as an assistant.

Comment

Or the comeback goals against Lake Superior, some of the NCAA OT goals, etc. Look Murphy's goal was huge, but lots of big goals were scored 1990-2004.
                          Again I reiterate my point that it was ARGUABLY. That means that there are plenty of worthy recipients in the discussion. Jeez troll much you guys?

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Looks like Maine may have named its assts. Hopefully Murphy will stay at Bentley although I can fully understand why he would want to leave. He has done a tremendous job bring in players considering the scholly and rink situation. Has to to be frustrating for him to not see that talent develop and be coached into the high achieving team it should.
                            You do not often see teams pulling in mutiple individual player honors and perform so poorly as a team. no matter the talent a good coach is needed. I assume Murphy has little to no say on the bench as I am sure he would do a much better job with the talent he assembles.

Comment

Again I reiterate my point that it was ARGUABLY. That means that there are plenty of worthy recipients in the discussion. Jeez troll much you guys?
                              Look, we're just trying to tell you that NO Maine fan would argue that it was the biggest goal in the history of the program and NO Maine fan would call Ben a "major, major, major" legend at Maine.

Comment

If Murphy didn't get the Maine job than they missed out. I read they hired Guite and Leach--both pro guys with no knowledge of the players... Maine will fail and that is why...you simply cant win without players... Murphy is a hard worker and would have done a great job.

In regards to him at Maine---he was a 4th line guy. He is no legend up at Maine. That said--he is a legend at Cushing. In highschool he was a dominant player--but he peaked early---and now hes aged early too.

In regards to his goal--it WAS NOT the biggest goal in the history. There was an OT goal in a national title game in 99---that WAS a bigger goal than an OT goal in the hockey east final. There is no debate about it...No argument at all... the national title game is a bigger game than the hockey east final--plain and simple, no way around that one...

Comment

Working...
                                X