Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bentley Falcons 2013-2014: No offseason. No excuses.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Bentley Falcons 2013-2014: No offseason. No excuses.

    Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    Great game tonight, all the way around. These teams deserved more than the 50 or so in attendance.
    http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/atla...e-branden-komm

    I'll respectfully disagree with you that is was a great game. Bentley showed some flashes of intensity especially in the OT, but overall I've seen the Falcons play much better. Regardless I enjoyed covering a game at the JAR and hope to do it again if my Hockey East schedule allows it. Also thanks to Dan for having me on the air during the first intermission.
    https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
    Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

    Comment


    • Re: Bentley Falcons 2013-2014: No offseason. No excuses.

      So, two of the 50 or so fans disagree on the game. I will add that this game was in the top 10% of the over 200 that I have seen Bentley play at the JAR. I agree that Niagara and their goalie Ignagni played great: I stood behind him at ice level during the first period when he made several fine saves. I also think that Komm made lots of great saves, and I do not think that he had much of a chance to stop either Niagara goal. Both teams had several blocked shots by their D-men, which kept the save totals down at 34 each.

      Compared to the AIC game at the JAR, this one was the exact opposite, I thought.

      Finally, Gensler only has Bentley's Div 1 scoring record, and has a ways to go to catch Soderquist and a couple others from the pre-Div 1 days.

      I think that every other AHA team will be more energized than ever the rest of the season when playing Bentley, beginning with the rematch tonight. Go Falcons!

      Comment


      • Re: Bentley Falcons 2013-2014: No offseason. No excuses.

        Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        So, two of the 50 or so fans disagree on the game. I will add that this game was in the top 10% of the over 200 that I have seen Bentley play at the JAR. I agree that Niagara and their goalie Ignagni played great: I stood behind him at ice level during the first period when he made several fine saves. I also think that Komm made lots of great saves, and I do not think that he had much of a chance to stop either Niagara goal. Both teams had several blocked shots by their D-men, which kept the save totals down at 34 each.

        Compared to the AIC game at the JAR, this one was the exact opposite, I thought.

        Finally, Gensler only has Bentley's Div 1 scoring record, and has a ways to go to catch Soderquist and a couple others from the pre-Div 1 days.

        I think that every other AHA team will be more energized than ever the rest of the season when playing Bentley, beginning with the rematch tonight. Go Falcons!
        Little loss of team focus by the players, maybe with all the record buzzz, some passes not made, bad passes etc. Then shear exhaustion, missed open nets. Team would have been better served if the coaches had rolled more. Head coach has been waiting for a season/team like this his whole career. He found the right line up now just keep them focused on the team goals and trust all of them. Stick to the plan its working.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by beenthere77 View Post
          Little loss of team focus by the players, maybe with all the record buzzz, some passes not made, bad passes etc. Then shear exhaustion, missed open nets. Team would have been better served if the coaches had rolled more. Head coach has been waiting for a season/team like this his whole career. He found the right line up now just keep them focused on the team goals and trust all of them. Stick to the plan its working.
          Good point on the shortened bench, especially in the third period. But, other than the blocked shot leading to the breakaway first Niagara goal, I think that Bentley did a good job on their line changes and transition. Yeah, a bunch of missed open nets on both sides, but I thought that a lot of that was the quick response from the D-men on both sides. I have never thought that passing was very good in the AHA, but Bentley is doing a better job at that when Weinstein and Gensler are on the ice.

          I also forgot to mention that this was an incredibly clean game, with the only two penalty calls pretty marginal, in my opinion, the tripping on Grieve and the too many men on Niagara.
          Last edited by Snively65; 01-04-2014, 11:13 AM.

          Comment


          • Re: Bentley Falcons 2013-2014: No offseason. No excuses.

            Dan did you change your shirt????or did something else change?

            wow 2 pp goals by Niagara increases that measly 6.8% pp they had!
            Last edited by beenthere77; 01-04-2014, 11:27 PM.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by beenthere77 View Post
              Dan did you change your shirt????or did something else change?

              wow 2 pp goals by Niagara increases that measly 6.8% pp they had!
              What happened to the disciplined play from Friday night? I could not attend, but box score looks reminiscent of AIC game.

              Comment


              • Re: Bentley Falcons 2013-2014: No offseason. No excuses.

                You mean the disciplined play resulting in 2 or less goals in the last 9 games.... great wasn't good enough....

                Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                What happened to the disciplined play from Friday night? I could not attend, but box score looks reminiscent of AIC game.

                Comment


                • Re: Bentley Falcons 2013-2014: No offseason. No excuses.

                  Losing is bad but to read this somehow makes it even worse....

                  From uscho

                  Niagara had not won on the road (0-10-3) so far this season coming into that game on Saturday with Bentley, and was winless in its last seven games overall, so the Purple Eagles were glad to see those steaks broken. Niagara also scored multiple power-play goals for the first time this season.

                  Read more: http://www.uscho.com/atlantic-hockey...#ixzz2pad1Q35b

                  Comment


                  • Re: Bentley Falcons 2013-2014: No offseason. No excuses.

                    Originally posted by beenthere77 View Post
                    Losing is bad but to read this somehow makes it even worse....

                    From uscho

                    Niagara had not won on the road (0-10-3) so far this season coming into that game on Saturday with Bentley, and was winless in its last seven games overall, so the Purple Eagles were glad to see those steaks broken. Niagara also scored multiple power-play goals for the first time this season.

                    Read more: http://www.uscho.com/atlantic-hockey...#ixzz2pad1Q35b
                    Niagara is much better than their record would indicate.

                    My thoughts on the weekend: http://jarpride.com/2014/01/06/storylines-niagara/

                    I thought Bentley played uninspired hockey, but I don't think it's the end of the world. Every AHA team that's been great has had a lull in the schedule where they get caught napping. The trick is to bury the door shut and not let it become something greater. I'll probably go into more detail in the week upcoming's This Week feature, but this gears it back towards Bentley instead on a league-wide level.

                    I'm in the process of moving, so no, I didn't change my shirt. But now I can. WHich is a good thing.
                    Win today and we'll walk together forever. -Ray Shero

                    Comment


                    • Re: Bentley Falcons 2013-2014: No offseason. No excuses.

                      Originally posted by eXcSports View Post
                      Niagara is much better than their record would indicate.

                      My thoughts on the weekend: http://jarpride.com/2014/01/06/storylines-niagara/

                      I thought Bentley played uninspired hockey, but I don't think it's the end of the world. Every AHA team that's been great has had a lull in the schedule where they get caught napping. The trick is to bury the door shut and not let it become something greater. I'll probably go into more detail in the week upcoming's This Week feature, but this gears it back towards Bentley instead on a league-wide level.

                      I'm in the process of moving, so no, I didn't change my shirt. But now I can. WHich is a good thing.
                      Uninspired TEAM hockey, maybe, but coming into a 2 game stand on an 8 game unbeaten streak and the double shifting starts in the first period in first game, what can you expect? 3/4th liners scored the goals on Saturday night. Trust the players use the bench. Depth on D is mythical, blowing leads in the Sacred Heart, AIC and Niagara losses. The shifting there caused more harm than good. If the Head Coach wants this season, it's now or never, it's his Team and should be his call.

                      Comment


                      • Re: Bentley Falcons 2013-2014: No offseason. No excuses.

                        Originally posted by beenthere77 View Post
                        Uninspired TEAM hockey, maybe, but coming into a 2 game stand on an 8 game unbeaten streak and the double shifting starts in the first period in first game, what can you expect? 3/4th liners scored the goals on Saturday night. Trust the players use the bench. Depth on D is mythical, blowing leads in the Sacred Heart, AIC and Niagara losses. The shifting there caused more harm than good. If the Head Coach wants this season, it's now or never, it's his Team and should be his call.
                        What shifting? The coaches pulled Kyle O'Brien in the second game, and honestly, this past weekend, O'Brien had one of his worst games on Friday. It was just a down game for him and he needed a night off on Saturday. I didn't think there was a bad shift in the roster at all.

                        All coaches are using the benches just fine. They maybe double shift their top line down the end of a game trailing because that's what you're supposed to do. You want your first line on with 2 minutes left, not your 4th line.

                        And yes, it was uninspired TEAM hockey. In the words of Bill Belichick, didn't play offense well, didn't play defense well, didn't coach well, needed to be better on special teams. All phases of the game were outplayed, but what you're saying makes no sense to me. Maybe it's just described wrong and I misunderstood, which happens.

                        This past weekend is put to bed and moved on, just like the undefeated streak should be put to bed and moved on from. One game at a time!
                        Win today and we'll walk together forever. -Ray Shero

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by eXcSports View Post
                          What shifting? The coaches pulled Kyle O'Brien in the second game, and honestly, this past weekend, O'Brien had one of his worst games on Friday. It was just a down game for him and he needed a night off on Saturday. I didn't think there was a bad shift in the roster at all.

                          All coaches are using the benches just fine. They maybe double shift their top line down the end of a game trailing because that's what you're supposed to do. You want your first line on with 2 minutes left, not your 4th line.

                          And yes, it was uninspired TEAM hockey. In the words of Bill Belichick, didn't play offense well, didn't play defense well, didn't coach well, needed to be better on special teams. All phases of the game were outplayed, but what you're saying makes no sense to me. Maybe it's just described wrong and I misunderstood, which happens.

                          This past weekend is put to bed and moved on, just like the undefeated streak should be put to bed and moved on from. One game at a time!
                          I do not think that I saw the fourth line at all on the third period on Friday night; I thought that first and second lines were gassed by midway through the third. If it had not been for the "TV timeouts," could have been worse.

                          Comment


                          • Re: Bentley Falcons 2013-2014: No offseason. No excuses.

                            Originally posted by eXcSports View Post
                            What shifting? The coaches pulled Kyle O'Brien in the second game, and honestly, this past weekend, O'Brien had one of his worst games on Friday. It was just a down game for him and he needed a night off on Saturday. I didn't think there was a bad shift in the roster at all.

                            All coaches are using the benches just fine. They maybe double shift their top line down the end of a game trailing because that's what you're supposed to do. You want your first line on with 2 minutes left, not your 4th line.

                            And yes, it was uninspired TEAM hockey. In the words of Bill Belichick, didn't play offense well, didn't play defense well, didn't coach well, needed to be better on special teams. All phases of the game were outplayed, but what you're saying makes no sense to me. Maybe it's just described wrong and I misunderstood, which happens.

                            This past weekend is put to bed and moved on, just like the undefeated streak should be put to bed and moved on from. One game at a time!
                            The "shifting" I referred to was to the shorten bench both ends resulting in tired players. Sinvely seemed to understand that. It started first period and the team was not down.

                            Comment


                            • Re: Bentley Falcons 2013-2014: No offseason. No excuses.

                              Originally posted by beenthere77 View Post
                              The "shifting" I referred to was to the shorten bench both ends resulting in tired players. Sinvely seemed to understand that. It started first period and the team was not down.
                              That's actually a really common practice for teams that are trailing or teams that are tied in a close game. I've spoken with several coaches in the AHA who always talk about the period of the game when they shorten the bench. They compare it to football's four-down territory or the similar scenario in basketball when benches get shortened in the fourth quarter. I see what you're saying (thanks for clarifying, I totally just missed that), but the shortening of the bench is fairly common practice.
                              Win today and we'll walk together forever. -Ray Shero

                              Comment


                              • Re: Bentley Falcons 2013-2014: No offseason. No excuses.

                                It's the end of an era for the RIT Tigers, who are leaving the Ritter for Polisseni Center at the end of this year.

                                http://jarpride.com/2014/01/09/end-of-an-era-for-rit/
                                Win today and we'll walk together forever. -Ray Shero

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X