Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bentley Falcons 2013-2014: No offseason. No excuses.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Bentley Falcons 2013-2014: No offseason. No excuses.

    Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    Only two games total the next two weekends before trip to Air Force for Thanksgiving break. Need at least three points in these two games, I think.
    So I got my account locked for entering my password and couldn't forward some articles to you guys this week.

    Takeaways from Merrimack and Army, plus this morning's interview with the AIC Radio guy, Seth Dussault:

    http://jarpride.com/2013/11/06/storylines-army/

    http://jarpride.com/2013/11/05/storylines-merrimack/

    http://jarpride.com/2013/11/07/ameri...n-the-upswing/
    Win today and we'll walk together forever. -Ray Shero

    Comment


    • Re: Bentley Falcons 2013-2014: No offseason. No excuses.

      Originally posted by eXcSports View Post
      So I got my account locked for entering my password and couldn't forward some articles to you guys this week.
      I don't think you were the only one experiencing the lockout, looks like they were doing some maintenance. For over a day I also got the lockout message and thought I was locked out too. I noticed no posts on the RIT thread so I gave it a rest and gave up trying to log in. I checked this morning and everything is back to normal. Who knows, I'm just glad everything is now working before the weekend games. Good luck with AIC, don't take them lightly (Quinnipiac last year).
      RPI Engineers
      RIT Tigers
      ARMY Black Knights

      Comment


      • Re: Bentley Falcons 2013-2014: No offseason. No excuses.

        Buses will be making continuous loops between campus and the JAR for the AIC game, so should be good Falcon fan support during the second period, at least.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          Buses will be making continuous loops between campus and the JAR for the AIC game, so should be good Falcon fan support during the second period, at least.
          Snively - any ideas where the buses are leaving from?
          Win today and we'll walk together forever. -Ray Shero

          Comment


          • Re: Bentley Falcons 2013-2014: No offseason. No excuses.

            Originally posted by eXcSports View Post
            Snively - any ideas where the buses are leaving from?
            Not sure, but assume the usual bus stops around campus. Just ask the driver to make sure that the bus is going to the JAR and not Harvard Square or North Campus.

            Comment


            • Re: Bentley Falcons 2013-2014: No offseason. No excuses.

              Originally posted by eXcSports View Post
              So I got my account locked for entering my password and couldn't forward some articles to you guys this week.

              Takeaways from Merrimack and Army, plus this morning's interview with the AIC Radio guy, Seth Dussault:

              http://jarpride.com/2013/11/06/storylines-army/

              http://jarpride.com/2013/11/05/storylines-merrimack/

              http://jarpride.com/2013/11/07/ameri...n-the-upswing/
              As you noted glad the injuries were over and the key players are back, just think the ga's could have hit double digits without them! Let's see the spin on this one.

              Comment


              • Re: Bentley Falcons 2013-2014: No offseason. No excuses.

                Originally posted by beenthere77 View Post
                As you noted glad the injuries were over and the key players are back, just think the ga's could have hit double digits without them! Let's see the spin on this one.
                Lots of parity in the eastern pod of AHA so far this season.

                Comment


                • Re: Bentley Falcons 2013-2014: No offseason. No excuses.

                  Hey, the hoops team won tonight!
                  Bentley University Hockey
                  On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

                  Comment


                  • Re: Bentley Falcons 2013-2014: No offseason. No excuses.

                    Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                    Not sure, but assume the usual bus stops around campus. Just ask the driver to make sure that the bus is going to the JAR and not Harvard Square or North Campus.
                    Luckily, I got to just drive in from home. I had a couple of students that asked me, so I figured I'd check. It was actually a good showing with Gloria Larson there in a personalized jersey and Dean Shepardson joining me on air. Had some great insight. Was really thrilled to get some take aways about Fenway and how the administration views the hockey program.

                    That said, there is no spin on this one. The defense didn't show up. You could've given Bentley a NESCAC defense and probably won this game (hell, Middlebury would've beaten both of these teams. So would NOrwich). The offense was absolutely there; there's no excuse why a team should have 40 shots and score 7 goals...and lose. You leave Maine - feel good. Leave Harvard - feel okay. Leave Merrimack - feel good. Leave Army - feel good. All of that feels good about the team's chances even if they didn't win because they played up and took on teams and looked good without the wins (then again, no AHA team won any OOC games this year, so there's that).

                    As for the game itself, this was one giant - and I do mean giant - step back. On the players, on the coaches, on the fans, whoever you want to blame - go for it. Fact remains that this is a game that costs Bentley big in the early part of the season. They've now laid an egg against Sacred Heart and AIC in confernce play; that's going to come back to bite them at some point unless they rip off some wins they're "not supposed to have" (I'm looking at you, Mercyhurst and Niagara). I can't state it enough - this game was a disaster for the PK, the defense, the goaltending. Its not the end of the world, but it is definitely a blow to the team.

                    But, I was talking with an AIC assistant after the game, and he said it best. They won the game, but they were NOT happy with their team's performance. I asked how they break down the film. He said, "we don't. Burn it." Expecations are up for everyone. Neither team can play like this ever again and expect to have a modicum of success.
                    Win today and we'll walk together forever. -Ray Shero

                    Comment


                    • Re: Bentley Falcons 2013-2014: No offseason. No excuses.

                      The push to increase the program's visibility with adminstration and lobby for a rink, one can only hope the program will get what it needs and start over in D1
                      Last edited by beenthere77; 11-18-2013, 03:03 PM.

                      Comment


                      • Re: Bentley Falcons 2013-2014: No offseason. No excuses.

                        Originally posted by beenthere77
                        you can break down or ignore all the the film you want but if you ignore player mistakes game in and game out and year in and year out either because you can't see them (unacceptable for a D1 coach) or won't see them in "certain(deemed key) players" you will be consistent in one thing, failing. Accountability, top to bottom.
                        Well, again, I'm basing this solely off of both coaching staffs, which both said the same thing following the game. If you plot out on a chart how you played, you are constantly going to have outliers. I'm not doubting that there needs to be accountability on everyone, but I don't think this is a game that really warrants any type of analysis for either team. A game like this is such an outlier that it's almost less likely to happen than the 10-4 defeat by AIC at the hands of PC earlier this year or the 9-0 loss to UConn last season. Those games are much more common. And both coaching staffs will chalk up this game the same way they would a game they won 9-0. It's not indicative of the greater bodies of work on both sides.

                        I'm not justifying anything, I'm not putting a positive spin on anything, and I'm not saying anything. But a game like this is hardly a reason to blow up either side and say that they're not being accountable or ignoring player mistakes. Bentley played very well in their first 8 games sans Sacred Heart. Merrimack, Harvard, Maine, all of them - they didn't win because they ran into goalies that weren't going to be defeated. Almost every analyst besides me has said that. And the AHA hasn't won squat this year out of conference, so all of that gets taken with a grain of salt by other analysts not named me.

                        I'm saying that the amount of mistakes on both sides of the rink were too plentiful to say that both coaches aren't giving their teams accountability. And if a coach makes them accountable, then you're gonna say that he's losing his team and is antagonizing his players. Everybody's accountable in a game like this, even me for enjoying it in a sick, twisted fashion (except that my voice is crap today). So I'd just assume I'll take a look as always at the game storyline (which are pretty easy to point out for both AIC and Bentley) and move on. On a larger body of work, the Falcons have not played poorly this year. They've fared better than the rest of the league (except for maybe Air Force) in the non-conference games (which says everything about the league this year). AIC has not pplayed poorly (they were in that game against PC through partway into the 2nd then fell apart). I'm not saying they're not accountable, and I'm not saying the coaches aren't accountable. But I'm saying that the accountability for a game like this is so widespread, that it's almost impossible to quantify and do anything with when teams are practicing and preparing, except maybe that both coaches probably made their team do 7 AM burpies or Herbies to put this one to bed.

                        I'm saying this game, in terms of analysis, is a throwaway for all parties involved. Both of these squads are a helluva lot better than an 8-7 final score.
                        Last edited by eXcSports; 11-09-2013, 01:34 PM.
                        Win today and we'll walk together forever. -Ray Shero

                        Comment


                        • Re: Bentley Falcons 2013-2014: No offseason. No excuses.

                          The Falcons need to cease immediately taking stupid penalties. Their PK stinks and they cannot afford to play short-handed, even against fellow bottom-dwelling teams of the conference. Two years ago, the team had a couple of PK specialists who could score short-handed goals, but they graduated. Last year, the Falcons were one of the least penalized Div 1 teams during the first half, which really helped.

                          Comment


                          • Re: Bentley Falcons 2013-2014: No offseason. No excuses.

                            Originally posted by eXcSports View Post
                            Well, again, I'm basing this solely off of both coaching staffs, which both said the same thing following the game. If you plot out on a chart how you played, you are constantly going to have outliers. I'm not doubting that there needs to be accountability on everyone, but I don't think this is a game that really warrants any type of analysis for either team. A game like this is such an outlier that it's almost less likely to happen than the 10-4 defeat by AIC at the hands of PC earlier this year or the 9-0 loss to UConn last season. Those games are much more common. And both coaching staffs will chalk up this game the same way they would a game they won 9-0. It's not indicative of the greater bodies of work on both sides.

                            I'm not justifying anything, I'm not putting a positive spin on anything, and I'm not saying anything. But a game like this is hardly a reason to blow up either side and say that they're not being accountable or ignoring player mistakes. Bentley played very well in their first 8 games sans Sacred Heart. Merrimack, Harvard, Maine, all of them - they didn't win because they ran into goalies that weren't going to be defeated. Almost every analyst besides me has said that. And the AHA hasn't won squat this year out of conference, so all of that gets taken with a grain of salt by other analysts not named me.

                            I'm saying that the amount of mistakes on both sides of the rink were too plentiful to say that both coaches aren't giving their teams accountability. And if a coach makes them accountable, then you're gonna say that he's losing his team and is antagonizing his players. Everybody's accountable in a game like this, even me for enjoying it in a sick, twisted fashion (except that my voice is crap today). So I'd just assume I'll take a look as always at the game storyline (which are pretty easy to point out for both AIC and Bentley) and move on. On a larger body of work, the Falcons have not played poorly this year. They've fared better than the rest of the league (except for maybe Air Force) in the non-conference games (which says everything about the league this year). AIC has not pplayed poorly (they were in that game against PC through partway into the 2nd then fell apart). I'm not saying they're not accountable, and I'm not saying the coaches aren't accountable. But I'm saying that the accountability for a game like this is so widespread, that it's almost impossible to quantify and do anything with when teams are practicing and preparing, except maybe that both coaches probably made their team do 7 AM burpies or Herbies to put this one to bed.

                            I'm saying this game, in terms of analysis, is a throwaway for all parties involved. Both of these squads are a helluva lot better than an 8-7 final score.
                            Ok, I agree, no film this game, pull out Sacred Heart instead!

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by beenthere77
                              Pk bad same as last season. You have next season to look forward to, since after graduation there will be defensive improvement. I think it's called addition by subtraction.
                              I disagree; PK was 25th overall in Div 1 last season, with 83% kill rate. But, what really helped was that they averaged only 9.46 minutes per game, which was good for 7th best overall. Team D needs to improve, by forwards and D-men. And, take fewer stupid penalties.

                              Comment


                              • Re: Bentley Falcons 2013-2014: No offseason. No excuses.

                                It could always be worse....

                                http://www.uscho.com/2013/11/10/ohio...inutes-19-dqs/

                                As a further distraction, the accompanying video proves women's hockey fights are worse than women's hockey.
                                Bentley University Hockey
                                On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X