Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bentley Falcons 2013-2014: No offseason. No excuses.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wwjg1158
    replied
    Re: Bentley Falcons 2013-2014: No offseason. No excuses.

Personally I feel the year is one in which many of our players are putting it all together. That includes Weinstein, Gensler, Grieve, Glads, etc....other role players are contributing as well and it may not show up on the score sheet but it does on the W's we collect. Personally torn on whom deserves the daily vote for Hobey Baker...at this point I believe the Senior deserves the vote as he started it all and this is his last year. I am sure anyone can debate that choice but a solid three years, knocking down the school records and when needed has stepped up his game. I believe the Frozen Fenway proved that out. So all three are deserving of the recognition but the Senior gets my vote as this is his last year at Bentley!!

Good Luck Fellas!

Leave a comment:

• Snively65
    replied

Here is a copy of my post from last night to the UNH season thread, in reply to a post about TVR breaking a leg and his future prospects as an undrafted NHL D-man.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Murray View Post

"It will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next few months. The timing probably couldn't be worse for the player OR the team. TvR was arguably shaping up as a prime undrafted free agent for someone to sign late in the NHL season - similar to two guys in a similar position this time last year (Danny DeKeyser/WMU/Red Wings amd Torey Krug/MSU/Bruins) who left school after their junior years, and went on to make a significant positive impact with their new NHL teams in the playoffs. It's obviously too late in the season for a medical redshirt, and the injury comes too late for any chance of a return for the end of the college season. Even if we were to assume a team that might be interested in signing him was going into the NHL playoffs, and had room to play him (keeping in mind both DeKeyser and Krug were aided by injuries to other players to get their initial breaks, and otherwise were most likely ticketed for AHL/Calder Cup assignments) ... with the apparent weight-bearing nature of the injury, any shot at rehabbing in time to get back into the mix is pretty much shot now as well. Teams would likewise have reservations until they seem him play again.

So if we're looking for silver linings (at least from a UNH perspective, if not from TvR's perspective), then there's a pretty good chance TvR might be back in Durham next season. Get back up to speed, prove himself to be fit, another year of growth and physical maturity should help him land a pretty good FA deal at that point - he'll certainly have more leverage as a healthy player to dictate good terms, unless someone is willing to take a risk on him this offseason, and pay him as if the injury never happened. Maybe with the "genes" a GM may be out there willing to take that chance. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing him develop in Detroit with DeKeyser ... but under the category of wanting my cake and eating it too, I'm hoping that happens in April 2015."

Quote of Reply from Snively65:

Interesting D-men analogies, Chuck.

Here are the data that support your points. Although TVR is more similar in size to DeKeyser, he is on a much higher scoring pace, very similar to Krug's in points per game. But, the D-man that I really like is junior Steve Weinstein at Bentley, who like TVR spends less time in the penalty box and more time on the ice than Krug and DeKeyser did. Weinstein is fast, can move the puck up ice, and he can pass, like TVR; wish that Bentley might get a visit to Lake Whitt next year so that Weinstein would have a chance to play on the big sheet. How did Mat Bodi look this past weekend on the big sheet; he is the other of the top 3 scoring D-men in Div 1 so far this season.

year, games, goals+assists=points, points per game, pen minutes

TVR, 6'2", 185#
    2013-14, 26, 4+19=23, 0.88, 22
    2012-13, 39, 8+25=33, 0.85, 8
    2011-12, 37, 4+15=19, 0.51, 24
    totals, 101, 16+59=75, 0.73, 54

Krug, 5'9'', 175#
    2011-12, 38, 12+22=34, 0.89, 20
    2010-11, 38, 11+17=28, 0.74, 28
    2009-10, 38, 3+18=21, 0.55, 30
    totals, 114, 26+57=83, 0.73, 78

DeKesyer, 6'3", 198#
    2012-13, 35, 2+13=15, 0.43, 22
    2011-12, 41, 5+12=17, 0.41, 42
    2010-11, 42, 5+12=17, 0.40, 43
    totals, 118, 12+37=49, 0.42, 107

Weinstein, 5'10", 175#
    2013-14, 23, 1+28=29, 1.26, 8
    2012-13, 35, 6+19=25, 0.71, 12
    2011-12, 38, 2+16=18, 0.47, 8
    totals, 96, 9+63=72, 0.75, 28

Leave a comment:

• eXcSports
    replied

Updating the history chase. Brett Gensler could break the D1 all-time assists record this weekend, and STeve Weinstein should break the single season record. Some all-time records could fall as well.

Still have no idea against the league, but I'll send a note their way to see if they have anything.

Leave a comment:

• Snively65
    replied
    Originally posted by The Top Shelf View Post
    Gensler, Grieve and Weinstein up for Hobey nomination! http://www.hobeybaker.com/awards/the...ial-award/vote
    Weinstein needs more Hobey votes! He is running away with the D-men points race, with only Union's Matt Bodi close now, as UNH Trevor Van Reimsdyk injured over the weekend.

Leave a comment:

• eXcSports
    replied

Storylines from Canisius:

http://jarpride.com/2014/01/20/storylines-canisius/

Leave a comment:

• eXcSports
    replied

Originally posted by wwjg1158 View Post
    At some point in time we are going to have to say good job boys and nice job coaching to all the coaches. The team just seems much different than last year. Better D, Offense great, goal tending really good, and a spirit of not giving in. They have some tough games in UCONN, Mercyhurst coming up. So I plan on attending both weekends....It will be two huge weekends.
    Bentley didn't play well enough to win that game yesterday but they did a good job of not losing it. That's half the battle.

Big game this weekend against Holy Cross. Would love to see a season sweep and Holy Cross is not nearly as bad as one would think. Bentley needs to keep winning since the league is splitting into some tightly packed groups.

Leave a comment:

• wwjg1158
    replied

Replace the JAR Give the future recruits a rink they really can call home.

Leave a comment:

• wwjg1158
    replied

At some point in time we are going to have to say good job boys and nice job coaching to all the coaches. The team just seems much different than last year. Better D, Offense great, goal tending really good, and a spirit of not giving in. They have some tough games in UCONN, Mercyhurst coming up. So I plan on attending both weekends....It will be two huge weekends.

Leave a comment:

• Snively65
    replied

Congrats, Falcons! Will take 3 points in a western pod team's barn any time. Win out at the JAR, pick up a couple of points at Mercyhurst, and should have a bye and home ice in the post-season.

Leave a comment:

• Snively65
    replied
    Originally posted by wwjg1158 View Post
    The game was a little sloppy but we pick up a win! Way to go boys!
    Three PPGs?!

Leave a comment:

• wwjg1158
    replied

The game was a little sloppy but we pick up a win! Way to go boys!

Leave a comment:

• Snively65
    replied
    Originally posted by eXcSports View Post
    Having some fun with the great city of Buffalo.

http://jarpride.com/2014/01/17/final-thoughts-canisius/
    Hey, Dan; how was Duff's?

I will follow games via Internet when can on way home from New Zealand over the next 36 hours.

Leave a comment:

• eXcSports
    replied

Having some fun with the great city of Buffalo.

http://jarpride.com/2014/01/17/final-thoughts-canisius/

Leave a comment:

• eXcSports
    replied

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    Nice summary on your blog, Dan. Do you have access to overall AHA stats to compare where the five Falcons you reviewed fall overall in the AHA history? And, retired Falcons, too?
    Oooh could be tough but I'll see what I can dig up.

Leave a comment:

• Snively65
    replied
    Originally posted by eXcSports View Post
    That was awesome last night. I love what happened with the AIC Yellow Jackets. it's games like that that make me love college hockey.

In case you've missed the assault on the history books, Bentley's closing in on major individual accomplishments. Speaks volumes to the type of season the team is having this year when everyone is doing something and doing something well.

http://jarpride.com/2014/01/15/chasi...tory-canisius/
    Nice summary on your blog, Dan. Do you have access to overall AHA stats to compare where the five Falcons you reviewed fall overall in the AHA history? And, retired Falcons, too?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X