Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

Originally posted by streaker View Post
    Michigan adds USHL netminder Zach Nagelvoort to the program in 2013-14.

No speculation on who the odd goalie out is between Rutledge, Dwyer and Janecyk. Racine is assumed to be the #1 coming into the Fall.
    Let me preface this by saying that I have no inside informatio on this subject. That being saitd, I have the distinct feeling that Rutledge will transfer this summer. If that feeling doesn't come to fruition I have no idea. I never got to know Coach Berenson that well although everything I've heard about him from players is that he's "God". He knows more about Hockey than the entire team, combined. Anyway, does anyone think that he would give Janecyk the boot for his senior year? I don't but I still recall in 2004 when he didn't dress 2/3's of the Senior's on Senior night.
    Originally posted by alfablue
    Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
    Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
    I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
      Let me preface this by saying that I have no inside informatio on this subject. That being saitd, I have the distinct feeling that Rutledge will transfer this summer. If that feeling doesn't come to fruition I have no idea. I never got to know Coach Berenson that well although everything I've heard about him from players is that he's "God". He knows more about Hockey than the entire team, combined. Anyway, does anyone think that he would give Janecyk the boot for his senior year? I don't but I still recall in 2004 when he didn't dress 2/3's of the Senior's on Senior night.
      Speculation is that Rutledge will move to the USHL and then reevaluate his options.

Janny is a senior and deserves a chance to graduate as a hard working part of the team. Dwyer will most likely be the fourth goaltender but may never dress.

Edit: I don't why I would even comment on this, but I will... someone gave me a neutral rep (because they can't give neg reps when in the red themselves) with the comment "boob" for the above opinion.

Don't know why it merits that, or for what part of the comment. I used two separate well respected blogs that reported this- to make the first statement about Rutledge.

Ditching a senior is poor form. The commenter may feel that the guy doesn't have the skill set to remain on the roster, but obviously doesn't get the big picture, especially under Berenson. I stand by my comments. These are college kids, not part of the pro meat market. They deserve a chance to be on the roster and get a ring if they put in the time. They'll graduate with a U-M degree and move on with their lives.
      Last edited by streaker; 04-22-2013, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Michigan adds USHL netminder Zach Nagelvoort to the program in 2013-14.

No speculation on who the odd goalie out is between Rutledge, Dwyer and Janecyk. Racine is assumed to be the #1 coming into the Fall.
        Bumped into Wiseman today, he confir6med the Nagelvort news. Said that it's a done deal, everything is signed and in the NCAA's hands but that it just hasn't been made public yet. I then told him that I already knew that so I guess it isn't that hush-hush.

I also asked who the odd-goalie out was and he said that he didn't know yet. I told him that everything that I heard was that it was Rutledge. He smiled and said "I'm...not...saying that."
        I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
          Bumped into Wiseman today, he confir6med the Nagelvort news. Said that it's a done deal, everything is signed and in the NCAA's hands but that it just hasn't been made public yet. I then told him that I already knew that so I guess it isn't that hush-hush.

I also asked who the odd-goalie out was and he said that he didn't know yet. I told him that everything that I heard was that it was Rutledge. He smiled and said "I'm...not...saying that."
          You're not going to get anything out of him. I tried at the banquet and he just smiled and walked away... looked back and laughed.

Comment

Didn't think that I would although his response to the Rutledge question pretty much affirms the belief that he's gone. Someone else said they heard that Rutledge was going to the USHL and Wiseman didn't argue. True, he didn;'t say anything but his silence confirmed what we all thought.

Comment

What I don't understand is why opponent fans make a big deal about it. At least 2 games were already spoken for (GLI) every season and at least two more were spoken for when the CHS was in existence. That only left 2-3 more available nc games to be played each season(depending on exemptions) since the CCHA played a 28 game schedule. Do you not think that those would be played at home given the chance? It's not like "other conferences" that had less conference games, or "other programs" that needed more road exposure.

Now the B1G is here, the opportunity for more road OOC series will become a reality.
              That will happen, but not anywhere near a 50/50 split. Michigan is offering former CCHA mates the "opportunity" to visit Yost twice in exchange for making one trip to their barn, What a bargain. I was told by a UM staffer that it's because "everyone wants to play at Yost." Michigan State is making the same offer. Of the 12 non GLI non conference games, expect UM to attemt to play at least 8 at home in most years.
              s be
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                That will happen, but not anywhere near a 50/50 split. Michigan is offering former CCHA mates the "opportunity" to visit Yost twice in exchange for making one trip to their barn, What a bargain. I was told by a UM staffer that it's because "everyone wants to play at Yost." Michigan State is making the same offer. Of the 12 non GLI non conference games, expect UM to attemt to play at least 8 at home in most years.
                s be
                Well, since most cats hate Michigan, that's good for you, then, right?

Comment

That will happen, but not anywhere near a 50/50 split.
                  Now you are interjecting. No one said anything about a 50/50 split.We were talking about OOC road series. The goal is still to gain revenue for the program and that is by having teams come into Yost, just like teams that take the payday to come into Michigan Stadium. Someone will schedule, if it isn't former CCHA teams then so be it.

Comment

Now you are interjecting. No one said anything about a 50/50 split.We were talking about OOC road series. The goal is still to gain revenue for the program and that is by having teams come into Yost, just like teams that take the payday to come into Michigan Stadium. Someone will schedule, if it isn't former CCHA teams then so be it.
                    There are no big "paydays" for coming to Yost on a 1 for 2 deals.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

no, not just like teams coming into Michigan Stadium. Michigan Stadium can sell 100,000 tickets, or 6-7 times more than the Doyt in BG. Yost has what, 1500 more seats than the BG Ice Arena? some payoff.
                      but agreed, if BG never plays Michigan again, so be it. We've got a 1-for-1 next year with OSU, and what..8 fewer OOC games to book than the B1Gs do.
                      Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

There are no big "paydays" for coming to Yost on a 1 for 2 deals.
                        There is for Michigan. That was my point. It is not Michigan's "obligation" to make sure your programs are successful or profitable.

Comment

Originally posted by blackswampboy View Post
                          but agreed, if BG never plays Michigan again, so be it. We've got a 1-for-1 next year with OSU, and what..8 fewer OOC games to book than the B1Gs do.
                          That would make me happy, too. See my comments below. same applies.

Comment

There is for Michigan. That was my point. It is not Michigan's "obligation" to make sure your programs are successful or profitable.
                            You are correct. Michigan is operating on the idea that "everyone wants to play at Yost." Why would a team want to travel to Yost twice with one series at home against UM if there is no real reason to do it. Some in the thread were talking about North Dakota playing so many home games non conference. North Dakota puts up a pretty sizable guarantee. One that not only covers the visitors travel expense to Grand Forks, but makes it very profitable as well.

Comment

Originally posted by blackswampboy View Post
                              no, not just like teams coming into Michigan Stadium. Michigan Stadium can sell 100,000 tickets, or 6-7 times more than the Doyt in BG. Yost has what, 1500 more seats than the BG Ice Arena? some payoff.
                              Capacity does not equal tickets sold.
                              BG avg attendance '12-13: 2,518
                              UM avg attendance '12-13: 5,357

This year's BGSU games @ Yost were on a Tues. and Wed. with 9,783 attendance for the 2 game total.
                              The 11-12 season @ BG on a Fri-Sat had 8,042 total attendance.
                              10-11 season @ BG 3,317 for the 2 game total attendance.

Also, add in the ticket price which I think is around $25 at Michigan, and $15 at Bowling Green (feel free to correct me).

If those numbers are correct:
                              $244,575 ticket revenue from the 2012-2013 series at Yost
                              $120,630 ticket revenue from the 2011-2012 series at Bowling Green

While not a huge payday in comparison to a football crowd of 100,000+, still a significant difference in revenue based on location.
                              *I did not account for students. I know at Michigan student tickets are cheaper than general public, but still have a cost (and I believe students were on break for at least one of the games this season)

You are correct. Michigan is operating on the idea that "everyone wants to play at Yost." Why would a team want to travel to Yost twice with one series at home against UM if there is no real reason to do it. Some in the thread were talking about North Dakota playing so many home games non conference. North Dakota puts up a pretty sizable guarantee. One that not only covers the visitors travel expense to Grand Forks, but makes it very profitable as well.
                              It may not necessarily be "everyone wants to play at Yost". It could just be "everyone wants to play Michigan", with playing at Yost being the most profitable for Michigan, so that is what's offered. Michigan doesn't seem to have trouble filling the schedule, even when offering 2 for 1 or even only if you play at Yost deals, so why should they change?
                              Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                              wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                              7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                                Capacity does not equal tickets sold.

While not a huge payday in comparison to a football crowd of 100,000+, still a significant difference in revenue based on location.
                                And the Feb. 25, 2012 game with Michigan at the BGSU Ice Arena drew 5,031. yes, that's above capacity.

your numbers may be correct, but they're a bit misleading. the past is not the future.
                                BGSU's attendance hit bottom during the dark years (that would include 10-11), pretty obvious. Fortunately the program's fortunes are climbing, and so is attendance. after all that BGSU hockey has suffered...all it takes is a little winning.

even so, nobody is disputing that UM can generate greater revenue for a hockey series. just dispensing with ridiculous attempts to apply the football model. yeah, football-type paydays are not happening.

so the question remains...if we can sell 5,000 tickets vs. Michigan at home, why take a 2-for-1 deal at Yost? can ya'll make that math add up? what share of the @Yost revenues are you offering?
                                otherwise, it's been fun. too bad, since you have so many OOC games to fill, and we're just down the road. c'est la vie.
                                Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

Working...
                                X