Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
    And you wonder why people despise NoDak fans...

IIRC we have tried in the past but you wouldn't come here. That an there is the financial aspect. I believe that we have both BC and BU scheduled for next year. Try again sue...
    Don't worry about the Whioux fans, some of them were sorly shortchanged on the number great-grandparents they should have had.

As long as the conference slate stays at 20 games, the B1G teams are going to schedule 4 to 6 away NC games and these will generally be against either the traditionally top Hockey East teams (as home and home deals) or geographically close teams who are willing to take a less than even trade.

Comment

Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

Originally posted by Sioux_fan View Post
      Here is a question: Why won't Berenson schedule a non-conference game away from home? I can assure you the dump in Ann Arbor (Yeast Arena) isn't as inviting as he thinks. He is an arrogant guy if he thinks almighty Michigan is so desirable to play when he won't do home and homes.
      The same reason that Michigan does the same thing in football: pure economics.

A home game at Michigan generates more money than a game at a small university. Michigan pays the visiting team more than the visiting team would make if it kept 100% of the gate at home. Michigan keeps the rest. Everyone makes money.

Comment

Originally posted by Sioux_fan View Post
        ...he won't do home and homes...
        He won't? Michigan will play 14 or 15 games at Yost and 19 or 20 games away from home in 2013/14.

Michigan played 17 at home and 17 away from home in 2012/13. 19 home and 17 away from home in 2011/12. 17 home and 19 away from home in 2010/11. 16 home and 21 away from home in 2009/10. 17 home and 19 away from home in 2008/09.

That's 100 or 101 home games out of 213 regular season games over the last 5 years, plus next year. Michigan consistently plays less than half of their games at home.

"The game of hockey, though much in vogue on the ice in New England and other parts of the United States, is not much known here."

--The Montreal Gazette, March 4, 1875.

Comment

Originally posted by Alton View Post
          He won't? Michigan will play 14 or 15 games at Yost and 19 or 20 games away from home in 2013/14.

Michigan played 17 at home and 17 away from home in 2012/13. 19 home and 17 away from home in 2011/12. 17 home and 19 away from home in 2010/11. 16 home and 21 away from home in 2009/10. 17 home and 19 away from home in 2008/09.

That's 100 or 101 home games out of 213 regular season games over the last 5 years, plus next year. Michigan consistently plays less than half of their games at home.
          I don't know how long this particular Sioux fan has been around, but he/she certainly doesn't do his or her homework.

I guess dumping out of the NCAA's will make one bitter when the attitude is that all conferences and all programs should bow down to the mighty WCHA. Talk about arrogance. He/she still sore about the 2010 FF which, by the way, wasn't played in A2, either.

FTR- Michigan had a H&H series with BU within the past 5 seasons. They have traveled to UNH and, while part of the CHS, also alternated with Wisconsin and Minnesota. They also did the outdoor Badger Classic game at Camp Randall. The Wolverines have also participated in neutral site tourneys in Alaska, in Buffalo and down in Dayton, Oh. on top of the GLI which they are locked into as a nc event. The CCHA didn't allow much room for nc scheduling, but Michigan did travel- maybe not as much as the vaunted Sioux, but it is a fallacy that they played "all" of their nc games at Yost.

Comment

I do think the poster makes a valid point in that Michigan doesn't play too many true nonconference road games
            games at Joe Louis Arena may be away from home but they are not true nonconference road games

And I sure hope Alton isn't including NCAA tournament games in his "away from home totals"....those are obviously games in which the team did not have any hand in scheduling
            Last edited by billmich88888; 04-04-2013, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Regular season only. Also, billmich88888, Michigan didn't play too many true nonconference home games, either: that was the problem of being in a league that demanded so many in-conference games, as streaker correctly points out.

"The game of hockey, though much in vogue on the ice in New England and other parts of the United States, is not much known here."

Comment

Thank you for the clarification

This year Michigan played 3 non/conf home games

Rit/rit/Bentley

1 neutral site in NYC vs Cornell

And the GLI

NO road non-conf games

Comment

So 3 non-conference games at home and 3 away from home. About normal.

I know I will be disappointed when I open up my season tickets and there are only 14 home games this year. I also know that Mr. North Dakota from earlier in this thread will never know that disappointment.

Comment

Originally posted by Alton View Post
                    So 3 non-conference games at home and 3 away from home. About normal
                    And ZERO games played in an opponents home rink
                    About normal for that too.....

Comment

Originally posted by billmich88888 View Post
                      About normal for that too.....
                      I count 9 in the last 5 years (10 if you count home football stadia). Not bad for only having 4 (sometimes 6) non-conference games to play with. The problem was the league's insistence on the 28-game schedule.

Comment

I do count at camp Randall in 2010

Comment

Bill, I'm surprised that you are so willing to rev up the troll's engine. I bet you wouldn't be so apt to do that if it was UNO fan.

Has anyone peeked at the Sioux's nc home/away scheduling? Just curious.

Comment

Not revving an engine, nor trolling, I look forward to the team playing more diverse non-conference teams

Comment

I love UNO fans,
                              They are the best because they scream the loudest that they are the best.....so it must be true

Comment

Originally posted by billmich88888 View Post
                                I love UNO fans,
                                They are the best because they scream the loudest that they are the best.....so it must be true
                                I've always equated them to Illinois football fans. They hate us, which I understand. What I fail to understand is why they think we are rivals.
                                Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                                wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                                7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Working...
                                X