Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    If that's the case, then it would surely hurt the pay that both players will get- since their play is pretty obvious to see.

Think we are clearing out some less than decent apples?
    As much as I agree with Trumpet that we'll miss Di Giuseppe and Guptil's scoring ability, I think it's an addition by subtraction situation here. Let's face it, this team has had an effort issue for two years now. It's a bigger issue than those two guys, but it hurts the team when a couple of your most talented upperclassmen can't be bothered to give full effort. Watch the Minnesota series and you can tell how good those two can be. Then watch the PSU game, with an NCAA tourney bid on the line, and you can see how they've coasted for most of two years.

I think Copp gets it and will have an easier time leading the team next year without those two guys around as seniors. Check out his quote:

"You look at three of the top seeds in the NCAA Regionals and we beat all three of them," Copp said. "It's a matter of finding consistency and a constant desperation instead of just coming into games and figuring we'll win games just by showing up."

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
      I know as Michigan fans our expectation is that we not only should make the NCAA tourney every year, but that we should be competing for the national title every year. For me, only being a fan of the program since 2001, I just assumed making the tourney was easy. Heck, my first several years as a hockey fan, we made the Frozen Four every year.
      imho the program really made that expectation. And I actually think it's a pretty reasonable expectation. My first season, 90-91, was the first time Red took the team to the tournament- which had a pretty legondary 3 game series with Cornell (thank you, again, for the cheers), and then lost at BU. The next year, they went to the frozen four, losing to Wisconsin. And it's been in ever since. We've had stretches were we made the frozen four every year, then take a few years off, and back we are. We started getting FF tickets after we got tired of scalping them. After that, we've only done the FF twice- Denver and St. Paul- been close a few times, but that was it.

Anyway, Red built the program, and pretty much defined our expectations with his success. Seems fair, to me.

It would be one thing if we didn't get the talent, and then had seasons where we don't make the tournament. But that's not the problem- even the last two years, the talent has been in place- we've seen it. And the years we've struggled- they had MASSIVE talent- the Jack Johnshon years were a struggle- but he was one of the most talented players who has been here. And the team demonstrated that they *could* be great.

That is the problem- the teams CAN be great. They even show it to us. But they refuse to bring that out enough to win the games they should.

Comment

Originally posted by Maznblu View Post
        As much as I agree with Trumpet that we'll miss Di Giuseppe and Guptil's scoring ability, I think it's an addition by subtraction situation here. Let's face it, this team has had an effort issue for two years now. I think Copp gets it and will have an easier time leading the team next year without those two guys around as seniors."
        The team has both an effort and a production issue. Those remaining (a lot of unproven/underachieving players) better start adding to the offense or win total, or its more of the same average offense that is a bubble team in more of a rebuilding than reloading mode as Red ends his career.

Comment

official now, Guptil is gone.

It's being reported that this was 100% expected, since Dallas would lose right in August. PDG was less expected.

More important, it's being reported that nobody else is expected to leave. We'll see.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
            sigh.

So anyone else going to the FF anyway? If so, we'll see you in Philly.
            Hey Alfa - Mabelle and I are going to Philly. We are in Sec 117. We will look for you guys. Jim
            Last edited by umichjim; 03-30-2014, 07:11 PM.
            The certainties of life...Death, Taxes and bad B1G Referees.

Comment

Originally posted by umichjim View Post
              Hey Alfa - Mabelle and I are going to Philly. We are in Sec 117. We will look for you guys. Jim

Awesome! We are in 106. We'll keep an eye out for you!

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                Awesome! We are in 106. We'll keep an eye out for you!
                I'll be around. Not sure what section, gonna use my friend's extra ticket. Trying to off load my pair in the upper bowl. Anyone looking to buy a pair of Frozen Four tix?

Also, captains for next year were announced. As most speculated, Copp will wear the 'C'. Zach Hyman and Compher announced as alternates.
                Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Some interesting comments were made by Red Berenson to Mike Spath of the Wolverine in a interview he conducted.

Basically said the reason he attributed to the second half collapse was a division in the locker room, and, although he had good leadership, the Captain and alternates couldn't bring together the animosity between the factions. He says that he doesn't see that happening this next season.

Read into this all you want, but that has Guptill, Clare and PDG written all over it- among the guys that are departing from this season.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                    Some interesting comments were made by Red Berenson to Mike Spath of the Wolverine in a interview he conducted.

Basically said the reason he attributed to the second half collapse was a division in the locker room, and, although he had good leadership, the Captain and alternates couldn't bring together the animosity between the factions. He says that he doesn't see that happening this next season.

Read into this all you want, but that has Guptill, Clare and PDG written all over it- among the guys that are departing from this season.
                    It's very much what it looked like on the ice.... not pointing out specific players- although I think we all had our gripes with each of the named accused...

Comment

Just wanted to let everyone know- the Outdoor Aventures program (corner of Hilll and Division) is selling old hockey jerseys. There are white, blue, and yellow either club or womens (I think club) as well as some Nike aged Home white (with CCHA logo) and Addidas aged away blue. Without a doubt, they were game used- they stink pretty bad.

I just got an away for $20.

Comment

RPI blog Without a Peer post about Michigan http://www.withoutapeer.com/2014/06/...-michigan.html.

I have no connection to WaP except as a reader.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

We don't have a new thread yet, and I'm banning my self from starting one (not that it seems to really matter...)

But ticket renewal started this past Monday, with the interesting bonus that the prices DROPPED 8-15% depending on the seats you have. Not bad.

We also have a B1G schedule:

2014-15 MICHIGAN BIG TEN ICE HOCKEY SCHEDULE
                          Date Opponent
                          Friday, Nov. 21 Penn State
                          Saturday, Nov. 22 Penn State
                          Friday, Dec. 5 Ohio State
                          Jan. 8 or 10 Minnesota
                          Friday, Jan. 9 Minnesota
                          Friday, Jan. 16 at Ohio State
                          Jan. 23 or 25 at Wisconsin
                          Saturday, Jan. 24 at Wisconsin
                          Friday, Jan. 30 at Michigan State
                          Saturday, Feb. 7 Michigan State
                          Feb. 12, 13 or 14 at Minnesota
                          Feb. 13, 14 or 15 at Minnesota
                          Friday, Feb. 20 at Ohio State
                          Sunday, Feb. 22 Ohio State
                          Feb. 27 or March 1 Wisconsin
                          Saturday, Feb. 28 Wisconsin
                          Friday, March 6 at Penn State
                          Saturday, March 7 at Penn State
                          Friday, March 13 at Michigan State
                          Saturday, March 14 Michigan State
                          Big Ten Tournament (Joe Louis Arena, Detroit)
                          Thursday, March 19 First Round
                          Friday, March 20 Semifinals
                          Saturday, March 21 Championship Game

Comment

Does it seem odd that they are asking for ticket renewal before releasing the full schedule?

A few friends of mine inquired about the drop in price and the number of home games (without the schedule released, how do I know the price drop isn't because of fewer home games?). 17 home games was the answer.

Also, it sounds like they had enough complaints about prices and that is the reason for the price drop. The following is hearsay, but a friend was told "single game tickets will not be cheaper than season tickets". That is what upset me the most last season. With issues selling tickets, there were many promotions and even $10 tickets for some games. Why should I commit to a season of tickets when I can get them cheaper individually? With the exception of aOSU (the first B1G hockey game), every night there were still tickets available when I arrived at Yost.

As much as I've come to despise the athletic department, I'm still addicted to Michigan hockey, so I'll be at all the home games and some away games. Now I just have to decide if I'm enough of a grown-up to go sit in my actual seat this season.
                            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                            7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

To help the season ticket holder, they are offering 20% off concessions prior to face off. this is the e-mail I got for the "extras"

In addition, new Season Ticket Holder benefits will be rolled out including an exclusive 20% discount on concession items any time prior to puck drop (for every home game), Yost Ice Arena public skate discounts, close to 20% savings vs. purchasing as single-game tickets, the ability to transfer your tickets to family and friends, and of course, your same seats for every game. Additional benefits will also be revealed prior to the season ticket renewal deadline of Wednesday, August 6.
                              As for the non conference games, this is what has been posted over at rival, but there's at least one whole weekend to be added, at Yost:
                              10/04/14 Ferris State (Away)
                              10/09/14 Wilfrid Laurier University (Home)
                              10/17/14 New Hampshire (Home)
                              10/18/14 New Hampshire (Home)
                              10/24/14 Umass Lowell (Away)
                              10/25/14 Boston University (Away)
                              10/31/14 Michigan Tech (Away)
                              11/01/14 Michigan Tech (Away)
                              11/28/14 Rensselaer Polytech Inst. (Home)
                              11/29/14 Rensselaer Polytech Inst. (Home)

The person posting it is brand new to rivals, but a member who posts here once in a while is part of the thread.

And to feed you addiction, there are some interesting interviews that were on WTKA up on the MGOBLUE site- Copp, Nagelvoort, Red, and Billy were interviewed. That got me listening.

Comment

So how many home (non-exhibition) games do you get? Looks like 16 last year. And what are the price ranges?

Our tickets "stayed the same price", but we have two fewer home games (20 vs. 22) for the coming season.

Comment

Working...
                                X