Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

sigh.

They were totally unprepared to play this game. Lucky to get to OT, and really don't deserve to be in the tournament with that play.

How you go from amazing hockey one weekend to that is beyond me.

One wonders what will happen during the off season.

So anyone else going to the FF anyway? If so, we'll see you in Philly.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      How you go from amazing hockey one weekend to that is beyond me.
      I haven't seen Michigan play much this year but they looked so fast & confident last weekend against MN I was shocked when I watched today's game. Did MI have a tendency to mimic its opponents style or was the game today an anomaly?

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
      And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
      Twenty red lights in his honor
      Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
        I haven't seen Michigan play much this year but they looked so fast & confident last weekend against MN I was shocked when I watched today's game. Did MI have a tendency to mimic its opponents style or was the game today an anomaly?
        All season long. MSU beat us twice, PSU three times. Very frustrating to see the team not be consistently at the high level we've seen. That BC game to open the season really put the expectations really high.

Comment

Embarrassing and painful. But, mostly I'm angry. Angry that for two years now the team's intensity level mostly ranged from lackadaisical at best to pathetic at worst. Angry that the team showed how well it could play against Boston College, UNH and Minnesota but couldn't be troubled to play like that most nights. Angry that no coach or captain could seem to do anything to get this team ready to play games. Angry that the team has really fallen off since Mel Pearson left. Angry that there's been very little improvement in individual players performances for a couple years and clear regression in others. Furious that with the NCAA Tourney on the line, this team couldn't be fired up to beat a glorified club team (no offense PSU).

Red Berenson is Michigan hockey - from an all-American player to the coach that rebuilt a dead program and made it the best program in college hockey for two decades. But it looks like it's time and hopefully Red sees it and will retire. If not, I'd give him one more year but replace Wiseman. He might be a good coach, but the drop off since Pearson left is staggering and no Tourney in 2 years means some change needs to be made.

Comment

So, has anyone figured out which teams we need to cheer for in the conference tourneys this weekend to aid Michigan's pairwise chances?
            Still anticipating the all-CCHA Frozen Four

Comment

Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine View Post
              So, has anyone figured out which teams we need to cheer for in the conference tourneys this weekend to aid Michigan's pairwise chances?
              From the Bracketology thread

It seems to me like this: Michigan still survives if any one of five things happens, but not 2 of them (there are some exceptions to this, but it's a general guide).
              Cornell winning at least one game
              Colgate winning at least one game
              New Hampshire winning the HEA title
              North Dakota not winning the NCHC title and still winning one game
              Mankato winning one game, and Anchorage winning the WCHA (BG defeating Mankato drops Mankato below Michigan)

So, root for these teams tomorrow:
              Providence (takes UNH out)
              Miami (takes NoDak out)
              Union and Q-pac (out go Colgate and Cornell)
              Anchorage (takes out Mankato)

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post

It seems to me like this: Michigan still survives if any one of five things happens, but not 2 of them (there are some exceptions to this, but it's a general guide).
                Mankato winning one game, and Anchorage winning the WCHA (BG defeating Mankato drops Mankato below Michigan)

Miami (takes NoDak out)
                Thanks! Go FriarHawkDutchBobWolves!

(I hope you don't mind, but I'll have the same question again tomorrow.)
                Still anticipating the all-CCHA Frozen Four

Comment

IMO, you just watched the last game coached by Red.

He said he was set to retire last year and then the late run happened.

Should've retired after the championship game in 2011, regardless of result. One great year in the last 5. Not one, not two, but three losses to a team that has been playing hockey for two years.
                  ---
                  National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                  Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                  19 Conference Championships
                  10 Conference Tournament Championships
                  2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Well, so much for this season... last fall they played with heart and effort, and since the GLI the effort just wasn't there. Too many players not moving their feet, waiting for someone else to make something happen.

I'm going to miss Bennett. One of very few that never took a shift off.

Comment

Unless something wierd happens in the off season, I expect to see Copp as the team's captain.

I know he will have his own thing that he wants to do, but I would love to suggest to him to call Kevin Porter and find out what he did to take a team that lost a lot of talent but had serious chemistry problems and took that team to the frozen four.

Comment

Michigan sure was Jekyll and Hyde this season. Wow.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                          All season long. MSU beat us twice, PSU three times. Very frustrating to see the team not be consistently at the high level we've seen. That BC game to open the season really put the expectations really high.
                          So the Gophers during Woogers last few years. I get your frustration.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                          And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                          Twenty red lights in his honor
                          Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

If you are still clinging to the hopes of Michigan making the tourney, and not out buying torches and pitchforks... Union just beat Cornell, which moved us up one spot in the PWR. Also PSU lost, so that eliminates one upset potential in the B1G. I also believe a UM-L win over ND is beneficial, and they are up at the moment. I'm no expert, and this certainly doesn't mean we are in, but no further nails have been put in the coffin so far today.

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post

Miami (takes NoDak out)

Michigan would finish 15th if all the top seeds win their tourneys, including UND, and if UNH gets to the championship game and loses. (We are helped by their winning until the championship game) this was a simulation I ran yesterday. We'd be last team in.

Comment

Now that effing minnesota state is in the WCHA Final, Ferris State, please.

Help.

Can you imagine if there is a twist of fate and MICHIGAN sneaks in like Yale did last year at our expense and Michigan goes on to win the whole thing? They have the talent. They just have to find the will and the chemistry.
                                ---
                                National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                                Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                                19 Conference Championships
                                10 Conference Tournament Championships
                                2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X