Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

    Originally posted by bluevox View Post
    I didn't necessarily mean you or even this thread. My comment was more about the games thread that the Michigan posters have boycotted. I think some of your Gopher friends feel like Michigan didn't win the game, Minnesota let them win.

    The difference in the game on Saturday was goaltending. Nagelvoort made some tremendous saves in the first to keep Michigan in the game. Shibrowski was not able to make the same types of saves in the second period. Things got away from the Gophers from that point. Would Wilcox have been able to make those saves, I don't know. Would it have made a difference if he had played, yes. Would Michigan have won the game, I think so, but we don't know.

    I do agree that watching the games between these two teams are fun and fast paced. Good luck in the tournament.
    Sorry but I have to but in here as well. I think mnstate0fhockey said it correctly. The Gophers did mix up several lines when they didn't necessarily need to. Warning is a big part of that and the chemistry of the top of the lineup that has developped this year. So if Lucia was going to do that anyways, he should have gone even further and sat a few more players who may have been a bit hung over from winning the title. Get our scratches like R. Riley and Michaelson some more ice time. Guys that have more to prove and might give that extra effort that sure looked like may have been lacking. Not on purpose, but just a natural let down in that game.

    Also do you guys really think that we all believe that we let you win the game? Yes, it comes off that way but we are playing up the stereotype of the tArrogance that we've always been accused of having. We have fought it for a while and realize that is how people see us no matter what, so we just embraced it. Don't take it so seriously and boycot the thread. To me, that's the fun part of being here. Mixing it up with other fan bases. If we didn't want to do that, we'd just stick to our own team's board. You guys don't want to participate, I guess that's your choice. We were obviously disappointed no one wanted to engage with us, but please don't complain about it.

    That's all. Good luck and maybe see you again.

    Comment


    • Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

      FWIW, the "boycotting" of the thread for me was 100% about the lack of actual hockey talk.

      I was hoping to learn about your team some, but signal to noise ratio made it impossible.

      tArrogace isn't a big deal- we are accused of it all the time- heck, I got a nice negative rep from my little rant in the game thread. Which I was confused about- since I thought I was pointing out the pointlessness of the bantering and wanting more hockey talk. I really don't care if you hate us- just another in a long line of haters.

      I also was taken aback with some reference to being a rival. I never thought we were rivals, in the real sense of it. Very strong competitors, sure. Other schools seem to take offense that we don't consider them rivals. IMHO, our real hockey rival is MSU- and even there we try to make it more fun. The fans do recognize the quality of hockey that Minnesota brings to Yost, and that's really cool.

      Comment


      • Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

        Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        I also was taken aback with some reference to being a rival. I never thought we were rivals, in the real sense of it. Very strong competitors, sure. Other schools seem to take offense that we don't consider them rivals. IMHO, our real hockey rival is MSU- and even there we try to make it more fun. The fans do recognize the quality of hockey that Minnesota brings to Yost, and that's really cool.
        Not even with the Showcase? They were an annual event and always very spirited games. The expectation is that we would quickly become rivals and I expect that is happening and will continue to grow. Obviously our rival, if we were only allowed one is WI. But I expect MI to gain to a UND type level soon.

        Comment


        • Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

          Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
          Not even with the Showcase? They were an annual event and always very spirited games. The expectation is that we would quickly become rivals and I expect that is happening and will continue to grow. Obviously our rival, if we were only allowed one is WI. But I expect MI to gain to a UND type level soon.
          No, not even with the showcase. I don't see that many players that were cross recruited between out two schools- which happend in all sports with MSU and a lot with OSU. If it's just about playing a lot- every CCHA team would be our rival. And they are not, in spite of the attempts by their fans.

          I don't anticipate having a brawl with Minnesota, or a ton of cheap penalties, etc. I barely recall many penalties for both the weekends we played. If it goes down the UND path, that would suck, I think. I've seen too much of the history between you and them- that's not fun, just mean.

          I do anticipate a lot of hard competetive play, much like we had with Lake State in the early-mid 90's. That was a great series with a lot of hard play, and a lot of respect, and fun. And I know the fans will enjoy the game a lot.

          But rival? nah.
          Last edited by alfablue; 03-20-2014, 01:13 PM.

          Comment


          • Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

            So, an hour from face off.

            I still think Nagelvoort will start. Hopefully, Gups will be fully out of whatever funk he had back against Penn State- his play certainly has gotten better.

            It would sure be nice if some of the sophomores start scoring like they did as freshman. Nieves- mostly you. The speed you have is awesome. Just harness that....

            Oh, for the minny fans, substitute 35 for Nagelvoort, 27 for Gups, and 12 for Nieves, and the post may make more sense.

            Comment


            • Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

              Originally posted by alfablue View Post
              FWIW, the "boycotting" of the thread for me was 100% about the lack of actual hockey talk.

              I was hoping to learn about your team some, but signal to noise ratio made it impossible.

              tArrogace isn't a big deal- we are accused of it all the time- heck, I got a nice negative rep from my little rant in the game thread. Which I was confused about- since I thought I was pointing out the pointlessness of the bantering and wanting more hockey talk. I really don't care if you hate us- just another in a long line of haters.

              I also was taken aback with some reference to being a rival. I never thought we were rivals, in the real sense of it. Very strong competitors, sure. Other schools seem to take offense that we don't consider them rivals. IMHO, our real hockey rival is MSU- and even there we try to make it more fun. The fans do recognize the quality of hockey that Minnesota brings to Yost, and that's really cool.
              When I was growing up the 70's and early 80's Minnesota's big rivals were Wisconsin, North Dakota and Michigan. IMO, the best part Minnesota won more than it lost against the big three.
              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

              Comment


              • Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

                Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                When I was growing up the 70's and early 80's Minnesota's big rivals were Wisconsin, North Dakota and Michigan. IMO, the best part Minnesota won more than it lost against the big three.
                30 years is a long gap. I started watching Michigan in 1990, and never through that Minnesota was an actual rival. Wanted to win, for sure. But not much more than that....

                Again, I very much look forward to playing Minnesota, for sure. But it's not as if I'm focused on you losing every game.

                Comment


                • Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

                  Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                  30 years is a long gap. I started watching Michigan in 1990, and never through that Minnesota was an actual rival. Wanted to win, for sure. But not much more than that....

                  Again, I very much look forward to playing Minnesota, for sure. But it's not as if I'm focused on you losing every game.
                  Today I really don't think of Michigan as a rival anymore but since the Big Ten started up in a short time that will change.
                  Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                  dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                  wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

                  Comment


                  • Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

                    Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                    Today I really don't think of Michigan as a rival anymore but since the Big Ten started up in a short time that will change.
                    How about rival vs. arch rival? eveyrone in a conference is a rival you want to win against.

                    But I think only state I want to see lose non conference games. I would root for minnesota against all HE teams.

                    Comment


                    • Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

                      Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                      No, not even with the showcase. I don't see that many players that were cross recruited between out two schools- which happend in all sports with MSU and a lot with OSU. If it's just about playing a lot- every CCHA team would be our rival. And they are not, in spite of the attempts by their fans.
                      Yeah, can totally relate there. Just ask Jan.

                      I don't anticipate having a brawl with Minnesota, or a ton of cheap penalties, etc. I barely recall many penalties for both the weekends we played. If it goes down the UND path, that would suck, I think. I've seen too much of the history between you and them- that's not fun, just mean.
                      So Downing must be out for this weekend?

                      I do anticipate a lot of hard competetive play, much like we had with Lake State in the early-mid 90's. That was a great series with a lot of hard play, and a lot of respect, and fun. And I know the fans will enjoy the game a lot.

                      But rival? nah.[/QUOTE]

                      Seems like you have a pretty rigid definition of a rival. But as I said, I expect this one to grow.

                      Comment


                      • Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

                        How in the world do we come out flat like that?

                        We fly last weekend, and should be able to extend that, plus against a team that has beaten us twice where we played like crap.

                        Where is the leadership for this team? do you not realize that the season will probably be over if we lose?

                        Comment


                        • Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

                          Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                          How in the world do we come out flat like that?

                          We fly last weekend, and should be able to extend that, plus against a team that has beaten us twice where we played like crap.

                          Where is the leadership for this team? do you not realize that the season will probably be over if we lose?
                          Teams have a tendency to play to their competition. Playing a high flying team brings it out more in your team as well. Playing a dull shut down defense team can slow everything down.

                          Comment


                          • Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

                            Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
                            Teams have a tendency to play to their competition. Playing a high flying team brings it out more in your team as well. Playing a dull shut down defense team can slow everything down.
                            Penn State has been up and down the ice so far. Shots were 13-11 PSU in the first. They are not playing a boring style.

                            So this should be right in Michigan's wheel house.
                            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                            Steam Profile

                            Sports Allegiance
                            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

                            Comment


                            • Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

                              Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                              Penn State has been up and down the ice so far. Shots were 13-11 PSU in the first. They are not playing a boring style.

                              So this should be right in Michigan's wheel house.
                              Exactly. Michigan should be flying out there, but are letting Penn State dictate the game.

                              Comment


                              • Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

                                Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                                Penn State has been up and down the ice so far. Shots were 13-11 PSU in the first. They are not playing a boring style.

                                So this should be right in Michigan's wheel house.
                                Wasn't watching the game before posting that. My bad since I thought it was a pretty same assumption to make about PSU.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X