Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    It's Thursday, and we are stuck talking hockey here. Thanks to the lack of actual discussion, i have no idea who anyone on the other team is... oh, well.
    Wilcox is a sieve. And that's the extent of my ability to name gopher players.

One can hope to talk hockey on a hockey board.

So, who do we think is between the pipes this weekend? Neither goalie is making a big statement anymore that it's their net....
    That's a good question. I hate those huge rebounds Racine gives up, especially when our D isn't there to clear them. I'm still a fan of Nagelvort, but the team does seem to do better offensively in front of Racine.
    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
    7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

it would be interesting to understand the team's mental state when Hunwick first went into a game, and how that played out for the tournament play.

That was a pretty amazing transformation- the team really tightened down on good D, but also scored goals. Shawn was good, but not amazing great- a lot of his wins were very much due to the defensive team play.

Which was 100% different than the team play in front of Sauer.

Both Racine and Nagelvoort are good enough to get good play in front of them, but the team plays a little better with Racine. Well, did. whatever happened last weekend is a mystery.

If I could harness that mental attitude from Shawn's days, I also still beleive that Nagelvoort is the better goalie.

You know, I wonder if it's hype, and if they hype got to the player heads, which affected the play around them. Hunwick had no hype, just worred fans- perhaps his confidence projected in a way that the team calmed down. But the confidence that Zach and Steve have isn't matching some of the hype, and the cracks in their psyche does the same for the team. It seems to take one bad goal, and the team just falls down.

One thing that I just don't understand about sports...

Comment

Both Racine and Nagelvoort are good enough to get good play in front of them, but the team plays a little better with Racine. Well, did. whatever happened last weekend is a mystery.
        It has to be Nagelvoort Friday night. I agree with you, and for no apparent reason, that the team seems to play a little better with Racine. But, Racine had his chance against Minnesota and gave up 9 goals (5 and 4) with an .852 save percentage. You have to try the other guy against those numbers.

Comment

It's Thursday, and we are stuck talking hockey here. Thanks to the lack of actual discussion, i have no idea who anyone on the other team is... oh, well.
          Here to help. Minnesota's play style has always been about puck control. The team isn't at ease until it has the puck and will give ground to retain control. Its always been a fast forward team. By that I mean that its defense plays a huge part at MN...we actually get more high defensive draft picks as a percent than offensive draft picks. So watch for a 5 player effort all the time.

Last year's superstars of Bjugstad and Haula left some holes...but they really did a good job of acclimating the rest of the team. It left a core that was quite solid. The shorter Rau, Warning and to a lesser extent Condon have all progressed to the point where they are among the best in the BI6. Warning perhaps the top playmaker is injured and is doubtful. But 2 other factors for the forwards have made this team what it is today...the third line and the freshmen. Seth Amboz came in as a big guy with a lot of accolades but starting his final year at the USHL...he underachieved. This year he came into his own...as did Travis Boyd. So its not so much that the first or second line is the best...its that they are great and the third line is on par with them. Also, freshmen include the top two scorers and teammates from last year's USHL...Cammarata and the previous year's Mr Hockey Kloos (both almost reached 100 points in the USHL). Hudson Fasching came from the USNTPD...and as with Ambroz underachieved. This year the guy is on fire...and even though he went in the fourth...could well have been a first rounder based on play so far.

Lastly and possibly most importantly, the defense is also strong. They are not technically any more sound in regards to defensive play. They just integrate into play better via passing than any other team I've seen nationally (MN's D is either #1 or #2 in the country in points). We've had a stellar qback in Ben Marshall (although he can slip up periodically). But possibly outside of Wilcox, the top superstar on this team at any position (if that can be said) is Mike Reilly #5. He emerged this year and blew Marshall out of the water. Reilly can take over a game, which is a rare thing to say for a defensemen...and is not really too far from hobey material. And Wilcox has kept the team in games where the team has gone soft...and yes, he is up for the hobey.

On paper, the individuals on this team are going to be hard to beat even at Yost. But paper is...well...made of paper.
          Last edited by 5mn_Major; 03-14-2014, 09:18 AM.
          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
            Here to help. Minnesota's play style has always been about puck control. The team isn't at ease until it has the puck and will give ground to retain control. Its always been a fast forward team. By that I mean that its defense plays a huge part at MN...we actually get more high defensive draft picks as a percent than offensive draft picks. So watch for a 5 player effort all the time.

Last year's superstars of Bjugstad and Haula left some holes...but they really did a good job of acclimating the rest of the team. It left a core that was quite solid. The shorter Rau, Warning and to a lesser extent Condon have all progressed to the point where they are among the best in the BI6. Warning perhaps the top playmaker is injured and is doubtful. But 2 other factors for the forwards have made this team what it is today...the third line and the freshmen. Seth Amboz came in as a big guy with a lot of accolades but starting his final year at the USHL...he underachieved. This year he came into his own...as did Travis Boyd. So its not so much that the first or second line is the best...its that they are great and the third line is on par with them. Also, freshmen include the top two scorers and teammates from last year's USHL...Cammarata and the previous year's Mr Hockey Kloos (both almost reached 100 points in the USHL). Hudson Fasching came from the USNTPD...and as with Ambroz underachieved. This year the guy is on fire...and even though he went in the fourth...could well have been a first rounder based on play so far.

Lastly and possibly most importantly, the defense is also strong. They are not technically any more sound in regards to defensive play. They just integrate into play better via passing than any other team I've seen nationally (MN's D is either #1 or #2 in the country in points). We've had a stellar qback in Ben Marshall (although he can slip up periodically). But possibly outside of Wilcox, the top superstar on this team at any position (if that can be said) is Mike Reilly #5. He emerged this year and blew Marshall out of the water. Reilly can take over a game, which is a rare thing to say for a defensemen...and is not really too far from hobey material. And Wilcox has kept the team in games where the team has gone soft...and yes, he is up for the hobey.

On paper, the individuals on this team are going to be hard to beat even at Yost. But paper is...well...made of paper.
            Interesting comments about defense. What I noticed last month, our forwards were not only regularly getting the puck off the boards, they were also able to get it into a good shooting lane pretty darned often. Which then exposes one of our key weaknesses- we have no real shooters. The real pretty shots are rare, but they come every once in a while- most of the goals are more of the "garbage" kind- where you are picking up after someone else. Heck, 3 or 4 of the goals against MSU were tip ins by their players last Friday. Our D (outside of last Friday) are not really contributing to the offense- not sure why- but they just are not.

Which is not a problem Minnesota has- your offense was doing the same thing, and found the back of the net. And your defensemen are doing the same thing. So given a pretty evenly played pair of games, your team won both of them pretty handily. Unless we find some magic in our defensive play, or we can match the scoring, the results should be the same this weekend. shoulda, woulda, coulda- that's why we play the game.

What's been frustrating as fans- we know some of these guys can really snipe the puck. We've seen it happen. So why we can't get good shots is a complete mystery.

The other issue that we've been talking about is the goalies- both are pretty good, both have had their bad games, technically- it seems that the fresman Nagelvoort is a better goalie, but realistically- up until last Saturday, the team has played just a little better in front of sophomore Racine. At this point, it's a total toss up who or what we get in goal, or how the team responds.

Comment

The trick is to get the opponent out of position. Otherwise it requires just vastly superior one-on-one efforts which usually doesn't happen (and resulting garbage goals). It would help if MI got some more passing to get our D and Wilcox out of position. A team's own defense helps with that...as its easier to move the puck around when its back out of play. Puck control is all about getting the opponent out of position.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

I don't know if it would have been worse to get blown out or lose the way we did last night. That was crushing. Hopefully, the team comes out tonight and can rally.
                Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

We left for a concert at 15:00 of the second and they played well, yet still showed the issues: a casual dump out of the zone didn't make it and the dump toward the net was a goal, and the beginning of the second had a bunch of good shooting chances.

On the other hand, Copps goal was really great.

And zach looked good outside of the first goal.

Now we need to win next weekend to get in, right?

Comment

We left for a concert at 15:00 of the second and they played well, yet still showed the issues: a casual dump out of the zone didn't make it and the dump toward the net was a goal, and the beginning of the second had a bunch of good shooting chances.

On the other hand, Copps goal was really great.

And zach looked good outside of the first goal.

Now we need to win next weekend to get in, right?
                    I think the team played one of the best games of the season but couldn't find that 3rd goal they needed. They played too cautious and late in the 2nd it cost them. Kloos' goal was a result of speed allowed through the neutral zone that pushed the defense back, without any backcheck support. It was a great shot.

Some other idle partisan views:

The officiating seems to be targeting Downing. He is looking around now every time he hits an opponent and got another penalty (for charging) on what was a legitimate hit. Coasted into the guy and never left his feet.

McInchak and Hunt swallowed their whistles the entire 3rd period, allowing both teams to get away with interference and other minor infractions, then has the gonads to make that hooking call in OT. Berenson admitted that the PK broke down on the coverage, but he was saying something else as he walked off the ice. He was offering daggers at McInchak. I had added my own .02 to Piotrowski after the game. Both teams deserved something out of this game and IMO, that was denied on a cheap call.

So yes, Eric, we need to win tonight, hope for a couple wins in the tourney and see where we stand in the PWR. If we don't win tonight, they have to run the table next weekend.

Comment

Good luck tonight. Despite the rivalry, I'd like to see UMi make the tourney yet I don't want to see the Gophers lose. Hope it's entertaining either way and it should be based upon the series so far. You were very close to winning last night I'm sure the effort will be all out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                        Good luck tonight. Despite the rivalry, I'd like to see UMi make the tourney yet I don't want to see the Gophers lose. Hope it's entertaining either way and it should be based upon the series so far. You were very close to winning last night I'm sure the effort will be all out.
                        Agreed. My hatred for the Wolverines is of the respected rival variety. I'd like to see Michigan make the Tourney too, as I think it's good for college hockey.
                        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          As long as each team keeps doing what they are doing, it's VERY entertaining. While I would love to have seen us net the third goal, but in spite of that, and the loss- the game was what I was hoping for back when I saw what we could do against BC. It's rare that I will say that games are entertaining when we lose, but dang, I really can't say that.

Frustrating that they make mistakes that they have shown many time that they don't do that, and frustrating that they just can bury the puck.

But very, very entertaining. This new B1G stuff is great. And I'd like to think that the combination of our two teams really forced that style in the conference.

In the end, since we saw two cames of that on your rink, I don't expect to see anthing different tonight. It's just not in the DNA of either team.

Comment

• Rumor has it that student ticket prices are coming way down for next year. Down to $150 from $215 this year.
                            Originally posted by alfablue
                            Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                            Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                            I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Again, that kind of hockey is fun. Ebb and flow, both teams getting time in each other's zone, controlling the play- and enough movement that you can get lots of play in both ends without whistles. If that's the future of the B1G, I'm 100% in.

Very nice win- I know it was the senior goalie, but it was the same team in front of him. The team should belive that they can skate and play with anyone, and not let the other team dictate the game. Playing offense with the win is a great defensive strategy.

Now lets hope that keeps going next weekend.

Comment

Very nice win- I know it was the senior goalie, but it was the same team in front of him.
                                Not really. They tweaked lines more than usual (I can't figure that one out), held out their 2nd leading scorer for precautionary reasons, etc. The Gophers basically threw the towel in on that game before it even started. I'm not happy about it either.
                                University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X