Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

For some odd reason I seem to recall Wiseman talking about another Goalie recruit for next year. Is that my imagination or has anyone else heard that? Any names?
    Originally posted by alfablue
    Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
    Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
    I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      someone has to start a weekend thread. wT I'm sure thinks I should not. But, geez- it's MSU for crying out loud. They are the #1 hockey rival for us.
      I started one and deleted it 'cause I found someone else started one. I'll go post and try to bring it up to the first page. This is the second week in a row where I was scanning thread titles for "Michigan" and didn't see it, thus thinking we didn't have a series thread.

Edit: found it. look for the "spring break" title
      Last edited by wolverineTrumpet; 03-05-2014, 07:08 AM.
      Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
      wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
      7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
        For some odd reason I seem to recall Wiseman talking about another Goalie recruit for next year. Is that my imagination or has anyone else heard that? Any names?

I know there is one and he has been deferred considering Zach and Steve's progress. I'll look it up. I think he may be a 2015 now.

Comment

someone has to start a weekend thread. wT I'm sure thinks I should not. But, geez- it's MSU for crying out loud. They are the #1 hockey rival for us.

It would be nice if we saw the shooters from the Sunday games this weekend, but who knows.

streaker- your view on Nagelvoort relative to what you think Red wants makes my wife happy- she's a HUGE fan of Zach. I'd like to see the team play better in front of him, though. Why they change so much- that would be good to figure out.
          My theory is that his early play gave the team an enormous amount of confidence. I don't think they play any worse in front of him, though. His goals lately have been a tad soft.

Racine, remember, started the season in net when the team was paying closer attention to defense, especially against BC, UNH, BU etc. Our defense has regressed in lieu of trying to score goals. Teams have also keyed on certain patterns. Our PP, short of the game Sunday, is defensed really aggressively because we don't have a Trouba or Merrill back there keeping the opponent honest. That is why Red changed it up. Having Clare and Chiasson on the points don't strike much fear and having four forwards out there has cost us.

Comment

Nice win last night- amazing to see a defenseman get a hat trick considering how much they have (not) scored from the blue line.

We also got more than our share of tip ins from MSU players.

Still- that PK in the first period was scary- that first kill, they never really got the puck out of the zone. The second led to State's only goal. Somehow we came out of the first with a lead, and the ice really slanted in our direction the rest of the night.

We've had issues this year scoring a lot one night only to be shut out the next. It will be nice if they can manage to get over that hump tonight.

Comment

Nice win last night- amazing to see a defenseman get a hat trick considering how much they have (not) scored from the blue line.

We also got more than our share of tip ins from MSU players.

Still- that PK in the first period was scary- that first kill, they never really got the puck out of the zone. The second led to State's only goal. Somehow we came out of the first with a lead, and the ice really slanted in our direction the rest of the night.

We've had issues this year scoring a lot one night only to be shut out the next. It will be nice if they can manage to get over that hump tonight.
              Sinelli is a forward afterall But, it just seems that MSU was passive on their PK. They let guys find the open lanes for shots.

Sinelli's 2nd goal was a laser 5x3. Otherwise, does Clare scare you offensively? Downing is the only other legit shot back there with Mac out.

Our PK has been above 87% in the 2nd half of the season, believe it or not. 82.5% overall is average, meaning it really sucked early this year.

I am hoping we jump on them early again and break Hildbrand's confidence. Otherwise, you may be right. Of course, then they won't have to goon it up.

Comment

Pretty random question, but is Carl Hagelin Michigan's all-time leader in games played? I think he played in 171.

Comment

So we get 4 periods out of 6 where we score. Too bad we let the other team get some and win the second game.

I know sparty played a lot better tonight, but how can we let the other team control like that? geez.

Comment

Good series. Not much to say, you guys deserved the sweep, we were just able to play two good periods after looking like a high school team for the first four. Best case scenario for both teams we see each other in the finals in St. Paul.
                    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

So we get 4 periods out of 6 where we score. Too bad we let the other team get some and win the second game.

I know sparty played a lot better tonight, but how can we let the other team control like that? geez.
                      Losing 4 games to PSU and MSU this season may be the reason this team is out of the NCAA tourney. Just dropped a giant turd.

Comment

So anyone hear any hockey news?

now I see why game threads are not so popular- the one we have for this weekend is just posting for postings sake, and no real information.

I very much wonder what team we will get this weekend- having thought that the team was better in front of Racine and seeing that 2nd and 3rd period tells me that it's not the goalie that makes them play poorly. Both can equally have poor games at exactly the wrong time.

What is bugging me is that the team just let MSU right back into the game and take it away. From 3 great periods to 2 really poor ones. So what does Red do? What more can be done to open some eyes?

If come to the game Friday, it will only be a little while- have a UMS event to go to. At this point, we will finish 3rd (probably), and will need some impressive play this and next weekend to make it to the NCAA's. I would not be shocked to see this team have a non qualify streak.... :/

Comment

So anyone hear any hockey news?

now I see why game threads are not so popular- the one we have for this weekend is just posting for postings sake, and no real information.
                          Not the way I would have those threads...but they're the way the wcha always was. UND, UW, SCSU, and yes even Gopher fans have a tendency to talk a lot of smack.

I would talk about hockey topics here and hope serious posters from other teams wander in. Wes is right though. You should see hockey talk pop up later on Thursday on the game threads.
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

At this point, we will finish 3rd (probably), and will need some impressive play this and next weekend to make it to the NCAA's. I would not be shocked to see this team have a non qualify streak.... :/
                            Not probably, we will finish 3rd. 7 points behind Wisconsin and 6 points ahead of aOSU, but we have more B1G conference wins (9 to OSU's current 5, which is the first tie breaker).

I think a win vs. Mn could jump us back up in the PWR, but then we'd need to play well in the B1G tournament too. My biggest fear is that there may only be 3 games left for this team, considering we're 2-2 against our first round B1G opponent, PSU. Just as we have clenched 3rd, PSU has clenched 6th, so that match up is known. Hopefully we won't overlook them or stop playing defense with a few minutes (or 5 seconds) left in the game.

I was at the State game Saturday night, and after that 1st period, it felt like we had the game won. Looks like we have yet another Michigan team that doesn't play the full 60 minutes. Has anyone else noticed that this team is particularly bad when they try to play 'protect the lead' hockey?
                            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                            7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                              I was at the State game Saturday night, and after that 1st period, it felt like we had the game won. Looks like we have yet another Michigan team that doesn't play the full 60 minutes. Has anyone else noticed that this team is particularly bad when they try to play 'protect the lead' hockey?
                              And I'm not sure what they are trying to do when they are protecting the lead. A few years ago, the team was able to put a tight middle rink coverage on teams, and suffocated them. These guys are not able to do that. And the more they don't play agressive in the offensive zone, the more they dump the puck- trying to get it out of the zone. And this always leads to bad turn overs (which is what my D-complaint does better than the rest). Which leads to panic, and flailing all over the place- and often goals. I've seen Copp's line do that, and it's really confusing. They should just run agressive break outs all game long- and play a pressing offense all the time- they have the speed to come back. What I see that does it burn the other team's line, so that they are the one forced to cycle the lines due to time and not be able to set themselves up.

Why the coaches let them get into that kind of defensive play is odd. By now, we know they can't do that, but CAN back check after wearing out the other team. Play like that. It works. And the defense still works well that way.

Comment

It's Thursday, and we are stuck talking hockey here. Thanks to the lack of actual discussion, i have no idea who anyone on the other team is... oh, well.

One can hope to talk hockey on a hockey board.

So, who do we think is between the pipes this weekend? Neither goalie is making a big statement anymore that it's their net....

Comment

Working...
                                X