Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

Good luck to Merrill. A change of scenery should benefit him and test his game. A very strong freshman year, and some major bumps in the road after that.

Comment

I'm just glad we had him for as long as we did. His career arc didn't wind up quite the way we hoped, but then, not much this year did.

That he had serious issues his second year, did stuff right to get back, and still came back for his junior year says a lot about his character, and I'm glad we had him.
      Jesus Saves

Comment

Originally posted by Caustic Undertow View Post
        I'm just glad we had him for as long as we did. His career arc didn't wind up quite the way we hoped, but then, not much this year did.

That he had serious issues his second year, did stuff right to get back, and still came back for his junior year says a lot about his character, and I'm glad we had him.
        Player movement creates a domino effect. If Merrill only played two years, maybe Connor Carrick ends up at Michigan for 3+ years instead of taking his game to Plymouth of the OHL. Could be a lot of freshman D on the 2013-14 edition of the team.

Comment

Originally posted by billmich88888 View Post
          He played disinterested on Sunday for long stretches
          He played his baguettes off on Saturday and Sunday and took a HFB on Saturday that really rocked him. Shoulda been a call. The guy was worn out after Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
            My money is on Mac (with a safety bet of Clare).
            Clare is most likely not coming back, just an opinion.

Comment

Not even a week into the off-season and already at three pages? Wow.

I would have loved to see Merrill stay for another year, but he has to do what he thinks is best for himself. Hopefully, he won't regret his decision.
              Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

Originally posted by bluevox View Post
                Not even a week into the off-season and already at three pages? Wow.

I would have loved to see Merrill stay for another year, but he has to do what he thinks is best for himself. Hopefully, he won't regret his decision.
                More talk when it's over than during games. odd.

It would have been great to see Jon play more, but it's not as if he's not had a pretty rollercoaster carreer here. At this point, given the last two years of drama just for him- this does seem like the better choice. Get some money while you can- I think that injury early this year would make anyone pause. So close to a nigthmare.

He tried hard once he came back- it took a few weeks to him to get fully in it, but once he did- it was what we all expected. (I also thought he really busted his rear Sunday- it was that overwhelming. State has done that to us before with that frustrating of results)

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                  More talk when it's over than during games. odd.

It would have been great to see Jon play more, but it's not as if he's not had a pretty rollercoaster carreer here. At this point, given the last two years of drama just for him- this does seem like the better choice. Get some money while you can- I think that injury early this year would make anyone pause. So close to a nigthmare.

He tried hard once he came back- it took a few weeks to him to get fully in it, but once he did- it was what we all expected. (I also thought he really busted his rear Sunday- it was that overwhelming. State has done that to us before with that frustrating of results)
                  If you go back and look at my posts, most of them are usually in the offseason. I'm completely zoned in during the season. And when basketball starts and we have the trifecta of Football, Basketball and Hockey? Forget about it. I'm lucky if I'm able to get a productive day of work during that point of the athletic season.
                  ---
                  National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                  Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                  19 Conference Championships
                  10 Conference Tournament Championships
                  2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

streaker gets credit for breaking this. He posted it on last years thread in response to the wastern fan...

http://www.michigandaily.com/sports/...-sign-winnipeg

Oh boy, Michigan Hockey summers are back. not that this was a shock. Hopefully it doesn't extend to August though.
                    Originally posted by alfablue
                    Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                    Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                    I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                      streaker gets credit for breaking this. He posted it on last years thread in response to the wastern fan...

http://www.michigandaily.com/sports/...-sign-winnipeg

Oh boy, Michigan Hockey summers are back. not that this was a shock. Hopefully it doesn't extend to August though.
                      A mistake. Merrill, I can understand. Trouba, he's not ready. Another year and he will be, but he's not ready. He does some brilliant things but also makes too many bad mistakes. He needs time at a lower level to iron out the wrinkles in his game.

Comment

I'd like to take credit for this, but the writing was on the wall. Not a hard call.

Trouba is going to make mistakes, no doubt, but the Jets can live with them. His shot and size have them salivating.

Staying one more year would be optimal, but anymore, getting any 5 star NHL talent to stay on a college roster is hard. The appeal of a degree and the college experience just doesn't trump the $$$ and prestige of playing in the NHL, especially for a Canadian kid. Trouba is probably one of the best Michigan-born NHL talents produced (arguably guys like Ken Morrrow or Merrill can argue that) and basically had it in his mind that he wanted to play in the NHL as soon as he could. He did say that he enjoyed his time at Michigan more than he thought he would, but it wasn't enough to stay.

Comment

As with every Michigan Hockey summer (except for last year, maybe that's why this past season was so horrible) this does not come as much of a suprise. True, I thought/hoped that Trouba would stay one more year but I am not in with the team any more (I moved away a while ago and only recently returned, plus I do not expect nor plan on ever hanging out with the team again). He left, oh well, guess we have to move on.

In other news what do people think about Gwozdecky? Do you think that he could end up at Michigan if Coach Berenson has another year next year like this past one and decides to call it quits? Or is it still a forgone conclusion that Mel will come home?
                          I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Saw this on the Yale thread. Kinda funny...

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...97582191_n.jpg

Comment

Here is a question: Why won't Berenson schedule a non-conference game away from home? I can assure you the dump in Ann Arbor (Yeast Arena) isn't as inviting as he thinks. He is an arrogant guy if he thinks almighty Michigan is so desirable to play when he won't do home and homes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sioux_fan View Post
                                Here is a question: Why won't Berenson schedule a non-conference game away from home? I can assure you the dump in Ann Arbor (Yeast Arena) isn't as inviting as he thinks. He is an arrogant guy if he thinks almighty Michigan is so desirable to play when he won't do home and homes.
                                And you wonder why people despise NoDak fans...

IIRC we have tried in the past but you wouldn't come here. That an there is the financial aspect. I believe that we have both BC and BU scheduled for next year. Try again sue...

Comment

Working...
                                X