Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
    Hope you guys are having more fun in the B1G than we're having in Hockey East. My posting has dwindled to nearly nothing lately because finding HEA posters who aren't complete ******s is difficult, to say the least. Nothing like many of the CCHA teams where a lot of the posters seemed to be actual normal people who knew how to have intelligent conversation. And most of you Michigan folk were at the top of that list. Good luck the rest of the way.
    Unfortunately, many of the more normal Hockey East posters have discovered the same thing and try to avoid the D1 part of the board.
    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
    7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Just when you get the idea that we can score, we lay a solid egg like that. Good think I couldn't see that- would drive me crazy.

Wisconsin gifted us with a way to gain a TON on Minnesota, and we give it away by playing like that.

One wonders what teams are going to show up in Minneapolis next weekend, since both didn't exactly have great weekends.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        Just when you get the idea that we can score, we lay a solid egg like that. Good think I couldn't see that- would drive me crazy.

Wisconsin gifted us with a way to gain a TON on Minnesota, and we give it away by playing like that.

One wonders what teams are going to show up in Minneapolis next weekend, since both didn't exactly have great weekends.
        Nagelvoort has yielded 6 goals in 2 games, many of the weak variety. He has been dynamite most of the season, but was awful this weekend. I don't lay this loss on the offense- PSU's net minder was pretty good. They had a ton of chances and he was better. Hard to dig out of a 3 goal hole when they are trapping and playing patient hockey.

Seems like forever since we played at home for more than one weekend at a time. Still, losing to a (previous) 4 win team is demoralizing.

I wonder who Red will start in net next weekend. Minnesota could destroy the freshman's confidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post

I watched it and yes it was frustrating. Poor wT had to watch it in person (I "think" that i saw her on TV too).
          Originally posted by alfablue
          Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
          Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
          I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
            I watched it and yes it was frustrating. Poor wT had to watch it in person (I "think" that i saw her on TV too).
            I'm told I was seen during 2nd intermission, on my phone. I believe I was posting on USCHO at that time.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, there was so much going on around me during the game Saturday, I didn't pay as close attention to the game as I'd like to. It was still a fun trip. Very demoralizing to lose like that to a team that previously had zero conference wins. They are a dangerous team, even our win Friday could have been a very different story. Michigan up 2-0, then Penn State puts 3 in, in a very short period of time. The 3rd one gets called off, and it remains a tie game.

In my opinion, Michigan's lack of offensive defensman is what prevented goals on Saturday. Penn State gave the blue line and to some extent the perimeter, but really clogged everything in front of the net.

Arenas visited:
            7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

In case any of you are interested, LSSU is auctioning off the 4' x 4' team signs from the former CCHA teams. These are the signs that hung in the Laker's hockey arena. Proceeds to benefit Laker Hockey, but it's your chance to own a B1G ol sign of your block M with a bit of CCHA history tied to it.. Auction runs until March 1, details at the link attached:

http://www.lssu.edu/foundation/events/cchaauction.php

Now back to your B1G-ger and better things..

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                I'm told I was seen during 2nd intermission, on my phone. I believe I was posting on USCHO at that time.
                Yea, you were on your phone, if that was you. Actually I have never knowingly seen you (your privacy is still in tact for the most part). However, being in Slappy Valley, wearing a Michigan Hockey jersey, being the only female in a group of guys, and looking the correct age I took a shot.

How was Penn State? It looked nice, it better have been seeing how it is new and all. For a newish team their seemed to be a large crowd there too. How was their student section?

In my opinion, Michigan's lack of offensive defensman is what prevented goals on Saturday. Penn State gave the blue line and to some extent the perimeter, but really clogged everything in front of the net.
                I've noticed that too, we have no real shot from the blu-line. Mac tries but he is not JJ, Merrill (who got his first NHL goal the other night), Mitera, Matt Hunwick, etc. I think, and have thought this for a while, that Michigan needs some more big Forwards down by the net to clear so shooting lanes.
                I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

While is Guptill out tonight?

Comment

Well, sadly, that turned out kind of expected. Our defensive play just isnt' strong enough, nor is our focus. Their 3rd goal was totally unacceptable, and the 5ht should not have happend, since we had a guy with the puck and no stick trying to clear the zone. Can someone say help?

I missed the first half of the game, but the highlights made me think that Racine was a little rusty, but for the not great goals, he did have some great saves. So that bodes well.

The super tough part was that we had a TON of great offensive chances that ended up pretty weak. The larger surface let them really pester the Gohper D, made them turn it over a lot, but once we got it, the shots were not all that hot. Compher's top shelf was sweet, and Hyman's goal was gutsy as hell. The movement the offense got seemed to really drive their D nuts, it just didn't result in much. Or at least enough.

Still fun to watch. That kind of ebb and flow, the passing, the speed, I can dig that.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                      While is Guptill out tonight?
                      I think it's a shoulder injury. He took a huge hit at Penn State Saturday during the 2nd, I think he didn't play the 3rd period of that game.

Honestly, losing always sucks, but that game showed promise. Racine looked rusty. It seemed like we couldn't stay out of the box the first period. The third period looked good. I'm hopeful for the win tonight.

Arenas visited:

Comment

I think it's a shoulder injury. He took a huge hit at Penn State Saturday during the 2nd, I think he didn't play the 3rd period of that game.

Honestly, losing always sucks, but that game showed promise. Racine looked rusty. It seemed like we couldn't stay out of the box the first period. The third period looked good. I'm hopeful for the win tonight.
                        Right on both accounts. Guptill could be a shoulder or collar bone. Miss his size and offense, don't miss his defensive liability.

Racine was a bit nervous, back to overcommitting his side to side. He looked like a fish out of water flopping around. He made some key saves, but some of those five hole goals were not good.

Comment

Originally posted by SmartAxe View Post
                          In case any of you are interested, LSSU is auctioning off the 4' x 4' team signs from the former CCHA teams. These are the signs that hung in the Laker's hockey arena. Proceeds to benefit Laker Hockey, but it's your chance to own a B1G ol sign of your block M with a bit of CCHA history tied to it.. Auction runs until March 1, details at the link attached:

http://www.lssu.edu/foundation/events/cchaauction.php

Now back to your B1G-ger and better things..
                          At one point, there had to be a UNO sign, too.

I wonder what happened to it? I'd have been interested in that.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                            At one point, there had to be a UNO sign, too.

I wonder what happened to it? I'd have been interested in that.
                            Knowing Lake State they probably burned it when you abandoned the conference...

Comment

Nice experiment with Steve. But by now the rust should be gone. 5 hole seems to have gotten bigger. Granted, the D aint exactly helping out, but come on.

I think Zach should start the rest of the way.

Comment

Pretty stupid penalty by Sinelli. Must not think there's a chance we will win, or why else would you cross check someone in the face right in front of the ref with 5 min left in the game. geez.

I'm beginning to think that our shooting problems is really effecting our defense, since they are trying to score.

Comment

Working...
                                X