Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

Geez, what's up with this team now???

Copp means that much? Or are wit now playing like last year.

Comment

Yes they are playing like crap, but I'm not worried. Typically Michigan struggles the first half of the year and then turns it on in January. This year they started out like a house on fire, now they are struggling. I'm hoping/guessing that they will hit their stride around The B1G TEN HOCKEY tournament. Of course I hope they play well during Jan.-Feb. but we'll see.

Of course last year I just want to forget about and that doesn't mesh with my philosophy but you see where I'm going.
      Originally posted by alfablue
      Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
      Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
      I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Kinda OT as it is a slight blast from the past but remember this guy? He's doing well suddenly...

http://www.grandforksherald.com/even...cle/id/281330/
        I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Ok, I'm rather distraught over our GLI performance but hey, better for a let-down now than during conference play...

What does everyone think? Did we seriously miss one player (Copp) that much?

Comment

Fridays game is on BTN, we all get that. However Saturdays game is on FSW, I live in Michigan and therefore do not have access to it. Does anyone know if FSD will pick it up or of any internet feed?

Comment

BTN2Go.com is what I have been watching most Badger games on. Good feed and free!

Comment

So...umm...hockey tomorrow.

Since I wasn't at the GLI, I'm going to pretend those games didn't happen.

I'm still getting used to this B1G conference thing. It's January and we are about to play our 3rd and 4th conference games?

I was considering making the trip out to Madison because I haven't been to the Kohl center in awhile, and that was back during the Showcase, so I feel like with Thanksgiving break, I didn't get the real college hockey experience. I'm glad I'm not going this weekend, since reading the Badger thread I see that students are still on break.

I'm surprised there isn't a series thread at this point, but I guess there isn't enough interest on either side to start one. I'm not sure what to think of either team at the moment.
                Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

There really haven't been series threads on anything.

But based on the number of posters, the only weekends I bet we will see one is Minnesota.

I sure hope they pull their collective heads out of each others.....

Comment

The Badger fans can't be too happy with their results either. They have a veteran roster with a good group of talented players that should be blowing teams away. BUT, they have not played well in their red letter games- so far are 2-5-1 against ranked teams (LSSU, BC, BU, Minnesota, Miami). They can claim winning 7 of their past 8, but that included CC, UAH, PSU and Alaska Anchorage, whom they split with at home last week. Prior to that, they swept NMU. If I didn't think the polls were political crap, I would guess that they shouldn't even be ranked where they are at- they are 14th-considering how Michigan dumped out 7 spots for losing to WMU and MSU-their worst run of the season. So, take it for what it is worth- the Badgers are good, but haven't proven it against real good teams consistently and are living on reputation more than performance.

That said, playing up there is always an adventure. It's been awhile, too, since 2010 when Hunwick & co blew a lead three times to settle for a tie. At least we don't have to complain about WCHA officiating anymore- we can commiserate about the equally poor amalgomation of the W and CCHA officials.

Badgers will be missing two guys worth noting though- Little- a special teams guy and Kerdiles- a real talent that Copp played with at WJT. Both are injured.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                      I'm surprised there isn't a series thread at this point, but I guess there isn't enough interest on either side to start one. I'm not sure what to think of either team at the moment.
                      UW fans generally don't start series threads, we just chat about the series in the season thread. I was kinda hoping for a series thread so we could all get to know eachother. I know Alpha from the Open Wheel Racing thread, but that's it. I have low expectations for the weekend, Eaves has juggled all 3 d pairs and all 4 lines with Kerdiles and Little hurt. Last Friday juggled forward lines produced a loss to UAA and a narrow win Sat. It sounds like UM is also in a little funk as well. It's a bummer the students are on break yet.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Anyone know why Boo isn't playing?
                        The certainties of life...Death, Taxes and bad B1G Referees.

Comment

Originally posted by umichjim View Post
                          Anyone know why Boo isn't playing?
                          He's sick, no idea with what or how severe? The dreaded H1N1 concerns me as he was around the team....

Comment

Despite losing 5-2 I don't think Michigan played that bad. Don't get me wrong, they did not play well but let's look at the Wisky goals. Goal #1 was totally on Nagelvoort as a soft shot was wristed "in the direction of the goal" and it was clearly going wide. However, Voort tried to catch it with his glove and accidentally knocked it into the goal. Goals #2 & #3 went in off of skates, kinda hard to fault him for that. Goals #4 & #5 were empty net goals, you can't fault him for those. The Michigan offense was, as has become typical for this season, non-existent. We scored our two goals late in the third period. We're not good and we know that but we're still not bad. I think that as long as we aren't slumping too bad for the majority of the season we "should" be able to begin a new streak this year. Hopefully we can take Saturday night in Madison.

Comment

Yes, but...

While some of the goals were fluky, you do also have to admit that Wisconsin missed on some rather amazing defensive breakdowns. I could not bear to watch most of the game, but I did see some great chances they had that they missed on. Our D still needs a lot of work. Nagelvoort did a great job keeing it as close as it was- last year we would have lost 5-2 or 5-1 WITHOUT pulling the goalie.

Offensively, the problem clearly is shooting- by the entire team. Would it help if we parked someone big in front of the net? Perhaps- at least that would take a blocker out of the equation. But nobody is shooting well. To control the play like they did in the first and have that result in a 1-0 deficit is hard to take.

Comment

I know, they did totally dominate the game the first 17 minutes or so and to come out of that period down 2-0 was a killer. For years I have been clamoring for a presence in front of the net but who could do it this year? Rolphs could have done it in '03-'06, Lebler in '07-'09, but in 2010/2011/2012/2013 there really isn't a prototype big guy (who isn't more valuable in other places). That is the only thing that I can see to criticize Coach Berenson about, and I don't even feel like I can say anything. The man farts more hockey knowledge than I have in my entire body.

Comment

Working...
                                X