Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Good game. The first period was Ferris...primarily just from a scoring chances standpoint. It was funny the announcers didn't seem to feel the Ferris had the upper hand until they saw the shots on goal. Then all they could talk about was how dominating Ferris was in the first.

Michigan held the second...although Ferris still had some quality chances. IMO in the game overall, MI carried the puck a bit more and Ferris overall had the better of the chances. It will be interesting to see how Ferris fairs at Mariucci in the upcoming weeks...MI and MN have different play styles although both are full on aggressive.
    Our defensemen don't know how to headman the puck quickly. No confidence except for Bennett and Downing and they got burned a couple times. They live and die by the reverse and reset in the d-zone and then they get pinned in. Either that or they try that long stretch pass that either ends up as a turnover or an icing.

Will be interesting to see how the Gophers handle the press forecheck and neutral zone trap- if they end up playing Ferris. I wouldn't look past RPI and Colgate. The big ice may give the Gophers more room to use their speed and negate the aggressive forecheck.

Minnesota is a bigger team, also- can skate with anyone and basically can grind you down on the cycle, too. I see that as one of the biggest differences between our teams.

Comment

My, "I was asleep" take on the Ferris game:

The second period was fun. Good pressure. Motte (the older) is a really good goalie.
      Third period was going ok, then I fell asleep, then with 2 minutes left I woke up to find that we had yet again given up a 3rd period lead.

Then overtime happened and there was a pointless shoot-out.

The end.
      Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
      wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
      7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
        My, "I was asleep" take on the Ferris game:

The second period was fun. Good pressure. Motte (the older) is a really good goalie.
        Third period was going ok, then I fell asleep, then with 2 minutes left I woke up to find that we had yet again given up a 3rd period lead.

Then overtime happened and there was a pointless shoot-out.

The end.
        they let you sleep in the COY area? wow.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
          No. I let me sleep on my couch. I felt awful that day and came home from work sick. I was able to sell my ticket to a friend who took my stuffed animals to throw at the game, and I "watched" on tv.

I had actually gotten home at 2 and set my alarm for 5, thinking maybe I could still go to the game. 3 hours of sleep was not enough.

No in person hockey for me until next year.

Arenas visited:
          7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
            Our defensemen don't know how to headman the puck quickly. No confidence except for Bennett and Downing and they got burned a couple times. They live and die by the reverse and reset in the d-zone and then they get pinned in. Either that or they try that long stretch pass that either ends up as a turnover or an icing.

Will be interesting to see how the Gophers handle the press forecheck and neutral zone trap- if they end up playing Ferris. I wouldn't look past RPI and Colgate. The big ice may give the Gophers more room to use their speed and negate the aggressive forecheck.

Minnesota is a bigger team, also- can skate with anyone and basically can grind you down on the cycle, too. I see that as one of the biggest differences between our teams.
            Does MI often have that issue? It seems to me that MI has always been loaded with talent but ends up playing (from my point of view) a very chaotic game that relies heavily (and gets) great individual efforts. MN's style is much more of an organized fast forward puck control style with the defense playing an integral part of the game. That is indicated I think in points put up by defensemen. MN's top 3 defensemen have about double the points of those of MI (25 vs. 13) and has more than BC, the top scoring team in the country. Regarding Colgate/RPI...I'm not too worried. I'm always nervous about overlooking an opponent...this MN team has not done that yet. And regarding Ferris, a number of core teams in the WCHA (especially Bucky) have designs based on the trap just because of the rivalry with us. Again, WI should be a handful by the time they're on your schedule.

Having said that, I'm hoping MI do well in the second half...the B1G needs to establish itself.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

Does MI often have that issue? It seems to me that MI has always been loaded with talent but ends up playing (from my point of view) a very chaotic game that relies heavily (and gets) great individual efforts. MN's style is much more of an organized fast forward puck control style with the defense playing an integral part of the game. That is indicated I think in points put up by defensemen. MN's top 3 defensemen have about double the points of those of MI (25 vs. 13) and has more than BC, the top scoring team in the country. Regarding Colgate/RPI...I'm not too worried. I'm always nervous about overlooking an opponent...this MN team has not done that yet. And regarding Ferris, a number of core teams in the WCHA (especially Bucky) have designs based on the trap just because of the rivalry with us. Again, WI should be a handful by the time they're on your schedule.

Having said that, I'm hoping MI do well in the second half...the B1G needs to establish itself.
              Well, we getto go to Bucky on 1/10-11 so we'll see them right after the holidays. Our next home game is 1/31- vs. Bucky.

As far as our defense- in the past it used to be predicated on a couple of NHL draftees and high end talents... with terrific puck handling skills and a dangerous shot. Huntzicker,Jillson, Komiserek, Johnson, Merrill, Trouba... yet the teams that have had the most success in the NCAA tourneys have been a nondescript group that, although talented, have flown under the radar. This is the type of defensemen that won in 1996 and 1998- even though Bubba Berenzweig and company never really made a splash in the Big Show. The teams in 2008 and 2011 also had the no-name type blueliners that were solid, had good offensive sense, and were sprinkled with a couple NHL draftees.

The only guy on the current squad that fits that bill is Mac Bennett (Canadiens.) Bennett is a smooth skater, decent nose fo the net, but won't wow you with his shot. He is a bit undersized, too. Brennan Serville is also a draftee (Winnipeg) and has finally started to use his size. One of our better stay at home types. Other than that, he doesn't bring exceptional skating or offensive skills. Clare is a big body, but since his days in the USNDT, he has regressed. He led the team in (-) last season and also had some run-ins within the program combined with injury. Mike Chiasson is the son of former NHLer Steve Chiasson, who was a star in major juniors before the Wings drafted him. (He had an okay career, moved on to Calgary and tragically died in an alcohol related wreck.) Mike, on the other hand, has certain offensive skills, but is a defensive liability at this level.

The other guys in the rotation are freshmen: Mike Downing, who like Bennett, is a smooth skater and is typically a reliable defender. He has a good shot that he hasn't displayed as much as we need him to. Kevin Lohan is a bit of an unknown quantity... but is a big kid, not real mobile, but is a heavy hitter and plays solid positional hockey. He hurt his knee earlier this season and probably won't be back this season. Nolan De Jong appears to also be a good skater but hasn't shown a good deal of offensive skills. Two reserves haven't seen the ice this season and Red has used a junior fourth line forward on the blueline to give it some depth.
              Losing Merrill (who would have been a senior), and Trouba (who would have been a sophomore)really hurt- as well as a decommitment from (would be sophomore) Connor Carrick who decided to play major junior and got called up with the Devils. Add another de-commit from a 2014 blue chip d-man recruit has left another hole.

This year's team doesn't rely as much on one or two guys like in the past when they had a Comrie or Cammalari or Hensick etc. to carry them. Guptill, Moffatt and Phil DiGiuseppe were *expected* to carry the offensive torch this season and for the most part have contributed. Copp has been a huge surprise and the freshmen- Compher, Motte, Allen and Nagelvoort have made major impacts. The Ferris game was a bit of an anomaly since they seemed so disjointed in the first period. (It is typically both team's strongest.)I don't think they lean on individual play as much as maybe relying on groups- like the PP- to help their offense. The defense isn't going to contribute much offensively- it just isn't in their make up- so when the forwards are shut down, Michigan is in trouble. When the defense activates it usually is at a high risk of counterattack. It worked against Ohio State, but otherwise Michigan is content with one goal, tight games.

Appreciate the good wishes. We, too would like to see the B1G ten teams achieve as much as they can and attain some respect.

Comment

To follow up on what streaker just posted, the team just came off of a season where it relied on talent to win the day over plays. So I think we can expect times where they go back to that kind of thinking. It takes some work to really get over that, I think- and without a player like Porter, we don't have a forward to lean on while the rest of the team remembers what it means to be a team.

They are doing that, certainly. More and more every game. Or, given the right opponent- the entire game (see BC).

The whole team has displayed enough that I'm sure we can beat anyone, but the part about putting that all together for 60 min, or at least enough time to keep the opposing opportunities down is another question.

It is a lot more fun to watch, this season, that's for sure.

Comment

a number of core teams in the WCHA (especially Bucky) have designs based on the trap just because of the rivalry with us.
                  Bucky's not in the WCHA of course, but I get what you're on about. As far as the other bit, tArrogance is on maximum overdrive there. Might have a bit more to do with Eaves having played and coached his system in the pros, rather than installing anything "just because of the rivalry with us." But no worries. As I understand it, they're making the kool-aid extra strong over in the Empire these days.

Watched the Ferris St./UM game and my take isn't much different than anybody else's. Poor puck handling and mistakes early left Michigan very lucky to be in it after one, but handled it the rest of the way much better. I just think you see in Ferris State a more experienced team that is exceptionally good at sticking to their systems vs. a Michigan team with superior individual talent, but less disciplined in execution. As the season unfolds I expect Michigan to continue to put longer and longer stretches of good play together.

With our wacky schedule this year, we have six more games before Michigan comes into Madison in which we will hopefully continue to get better. I think I'm glad you guys only have the GLI between now and then.
                  Originally posted by WiscTJK
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                  Originally posted by Timothy A
                  Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                    Bucky's not in the WCHA of course, but I get what you're on about. As far as the other bit, tArrogance is on maximum overdrive there. Might have a bit more to do with Eaves having played and coached his system in the pros, rather than installing anything "just because of the rivalry with us." But no worries. As I understand it, they're making the kool-aid extra strong over in the Empire these days.
                    I think the same can be said about Bob Daniels who learned his system at MSU under Mason. Funny how the Ferris fan criticism has diminished since Daniels has been able to secure better and better talent, especially on the back line. His system has to be bought into and enhances a roster that may not brag of so many NHL draftees. Goaltending, like anything, is a great equalizer, too. The other thing, being a long time observer... FSU's discipline has turned 180 degrees. They used to be as competitive but spent too much time gooning which took them out of games.

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                    Watched the Ferris St./UM game and my take isn't much different than anybody else's. Poor puck handling and mistakes early left Michigan very lucky to be in it after one, but handled it the rest of the way much better. I just think you see in Ferris State a more experienced team that is exceptionally good at sticking to their systems vs. a Michigan team with superior individual talent, but less disciplined in execution. As the season unfolds I expect Michigan to continue to put longer and longer stretches of good play together.

With our wacky schedule this year, we have six more games before Michigan comes into Madison in which we will hopefully continue to get better. I think I'm glad you guys only have the GLI between now and then.
                    Ferris at last glance has 12 upperclassmen (who may not all contribute on the ice), so yes, they have a ton of experience and know-how with the system. I think another thing is, they have tasted success at the national level, so they know they can compete with the elite programs. That confidence shows in their play. They can walk into any building now and win, something that their predecessors were only aiming to do.

Michigan is probably too young (only four regular seniors in the lineup) to sustain any kind of system that Red employs. I don't even know if he has a set "team" system, other than for O-zone breakouts, d-zone reverses,PP's, PK's etc. I'm sure they have patterns for forechecking and backchecking, but they adjust it based on the lines on the ice. The bottom line with Michigan and Berenson- he pushes tempo, especially if he has the talent to do it. In game adjustments are made, so playing trapping style teams requires an adjustment to all the above patterns. Ferris, in other words, was better at what they were doing than the younger Michigan kids were to adjusting to what beats that system.

I think alfablue was correct in his assessment that we saw better cohesion earlier in the season because Michigan had to defend against what were bigger and faster teams from HEA. BC was an exceptionally interesting game, chock full of mistakes- but also full of wonderfully ( and equally young) and talented kids. The BU, UNH and UML games were all against bigger, more experienced kids and Michigan showed pretty well. Since then they have drifted away from that mentality to focus on their defensive game first and showcase their individual talents. That wasn't a disrespect to Ferris, just a change in their habits since the start of the season when they were raw and uncertain.

It is more fun to watch, but also frustrating at the same time since the errors they are making are mostly unforced.

Comment

I think the same can be said about Bob Daniels who learned his system at MSU under Mason. Funny how the Ferris fan criticism has diminished since Daniels has been able to secure better and better talent, especially on the back line. His system has to be bought into and enhances a roster that may not brag of so many NHL draftees. Goaltending, like anything, is a great equalizer, too. The other thing, being a long time observer... FSU's discipline has turned 180 degrees. They used to be as competitive but spent too much time gooning which took them out of games.
                      I don't disagree with this at all. And after two national coach of the year awards in Big Rapids, Daniels will receive very little criticism. I do think a lot of the defensive systems have come from assistant coach Mark Kaufman who played with Daniels at MSU and also learned from Mason.

Kaufman bio: http://www.ferris.edu/sports/hockey/...es/kaufman.htm

My other hope as far as recruiting goes, is that when Ferris alumn Jeff Blashill becomes coach of the Red Wings potential Ferris recruits might see a brighter path to the NHL.
                      "What I get paid for are the practices, I would play the games for nothing."
                      - Tim Horton

Ferris State University
                      CCHA Champions 2003 & 2012

Comment

I remember the goon teams from Ferris. The discipline of their recent teams is quite the contrast.

It was interesting to have a 3 vs. 4 match-up where both coaches have voiced this season that their teams are ranked higher than they should be. Michigan has played a lot of close games that could have gone either way, so it is hard to judge if this Ferris team is a serious national contender based on Wednesday's game. I think they will be the team to beat in the WCHA.

Arenas visited:

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                          I remember the goon teams from Ferris. The discipline of their recent teams is quite the contrast.

It was interesting to have a 3 vs. 4 match-up where both coaches have voiced this season that their teams are ranked higher than they should be. Michigan has played a lot of close games that could have gone either way, so it is hard to judge if this Ferris team is a serious national contender based on Wednesday's game. I think they will be the team to beat in the WCHA.
                          I alluded to that a little when I said I didn't know what kind of team Ferris really was coming in- mostly based on their schedule- but now we have a pretty good idea. (I actually had some troller baiting me in the blog comments because I was skeptical about FSU's SoS, which, surprisingly is on par with Michigan's SoS. Couldn't figure out what he hated more- Michigan, The Big Ten or life in general.) There is nothing wrong with leaning on their goaltending and they appear to have some dangerous wingers like Thompson and Schempp. Czarnowczan and Binkley are two outstanding d-men. Not a bad base to build from. I think I'd grab a favorite beverage and watch them play Minnesota or a HEA team like BC or UML to see how they stand up. I bet they'd stay right there with them- and that wouldn't be such a bad thing for Michigan. We've played a fair cross section of good to better teams in the first half and survived. I don't really see how one team in the country really stands out miles above anyone else. Minnesota and SCSU are really good and haven't played a soft schedule, so if we are in the same conversation along with a few of the east teams and Ferris... that is not a bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                            Funny, my initial reaction was that she was passed out from too much pre-gaming...

On retrospect all she would have to do would be go down to the north end of that sideline. It's quiet down there with plenty of room to stretch out...

***A side-note: A couple of Field Hockey players decided to sit by me (there were a couple of empty seats next to me and I was at center ice so I'm positive that I had nothing to do with that decision). We started talking and it came out that they were students to which I replied "Really? When I was a student I never would have sat anywhere other than with the students, it's too much fun over there." But I also rationalized that the current "student section" is a shell of the former "student sideline" when I was in school. I know this has been discussed ad nausea here but the ticket prices have a lot to do with that they said. It's over $20 a ticket now, It was $10.50 a game for me (and people were complaining about that).

streaker- I'm considering joining you in disliking AD Brandon solely for his money-grubbing ways... The ticket prices hurt the team as it majorly impacts what was once a terrific home-ice advantage.
                            Originally posted by alfablue
                            Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                            Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                            I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                              streaker- I'm considering joining you in disliking AD Brandon solely for his money-grubbing ways... The ticket prices hurt the team as it majorly impacts what was once a terrific home-ice advantage.
                              I don't know Dave Brandon personally, so you can't say that I dislike him. What I dislike is the policies he has put in place, making the Michigan brand about $ and not about the experience. What I dislike even further is the exploitation of the Michigan reputation, using it to promote something (such as all the bravado around the football program) when it isn't backed up by the product on the field. I am really slogan-ed out. Using Bo's "the team" to promote his marketing gimmicks and his effort to raise $ for infrastructure improvements. Sooner or later the fanbase isn't going to accept it without results. The students have rightfully recognized it- although the reasons for their departure at Yost may be a little different.

Comment

I don't know Dave Brandon personally, so you can't say that I dislike him. What I dislike is the policies he has put in place, making the Michigan brand about $ and not about the experience. What I dislike even further is the exploitation of the Michigan reputation, using it to promote something (such as all the bravado around the football program) when it isn't backed up by the product on the field. I am really slogan-ed out. Using Bo's "the team" to promote his marketing gimmicks and his effort to raise $ for infrastructure improvements. Sooner or later the fanbase isn't going to accept it without results. The students have rightfully recognized it- although the reasons for their departure at Yost may be a little different.
                                IMHO, the Yost deal has a lot to do with the product. Students are also displeased with the anti-profanity policy, I think that the students stance on that is wrong but that's just me. Finally, just like football the students have realized that they can stay home, watch the game on TV, get drunk, and "maybe" get laid so why spend over $400? Yes, the ticket prices need to come down to get the students back. A better product would help too, I mean look at bouncy-ball. Bouncy-ball over-sold student tickets and the reason for the abnormally high demand was the Final Four run (read a good team). The football team has been a major disappointment and that has reflected in student attendance, I'm sure that the price increases played a role in that too. He's done a fantastic job of upgrading the facilities but at the cost of ruining the college experience for many. I'm not calling for his head yet but if this keeps up...
                                Originally posted by alfablue
                                Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                                Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                                I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Working...
                                X