Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

    Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
    Also a home game with BC.
    Correct. It is 1 with both BC and BU instead of 2 with BU.

    Comment


    • #32
      Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

      -sigh-

      I guess in my fantasy world, Michigan hockey fans could root for the team, share disappointments, and agree to disagree when disagreements happen. And even maybe forbear when we don't like how someone responds. We follow a great program and we have a great fan base, but it's mot like there are a lot of us.

      My remark above hadn't been intended as a rebuke of anyone on this board or off, and if it came out that way I apologize. My main point was actually that its remarkable how many people in the mainstream M hockey blogosphere (and twittersphere) cut their teeth here. I like to think that's good. Despite being out of Michigan for 8 years it is comforting to consider that I've actually met and befriended many of the people who are now the major bloggers. It's like visiting home when the hockey team is in the spotlight.

      It's the personal stuff that bugs me, going both ways. I think there are good opinions being voiced about evaluating the season on several sides, but some of the sharp personal stuff is crossing the line. (Ironically, I was going to use the adjective "caustic," but thought better of it given my handle). I suspect there's some arrogance in at least one direction and some jealousy in the other, too. But then, we are human, that's going to happen.

      Thing is, I admire anyone who puts their neck on the line and blogs about the hockey team. It takes a lot of effort and you can get a lot of pushback and the rewards in such a niche sport are slim. And this year there wasn't a lot of fun stuff to write about for a long time. Those of you who have been here for a while know I can get long-winded about the team and sport when I am so inspired, but unlike others I've never made the commitment or taken the risk to start my own blog. I'm not even a regular here anymore. Those who have done so are better men than me in this area, and I benefit from their efforts. And, in many cases, particularly here, their friendships.

      I just wish that when things were difficult, we could say that we disagree without suggesting that the one we disagree with is an idiot. Someday we're going to see that 10th championship, it will be nice to celebrate together.
      Jesus Saves

      Comment


      • #33
        Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

        Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        Hows the message board over at gbmwolverine? Before I register, I want to make sure it's useful.

        Then again, I kind of like the low key nature of here and the Yost post.
        Message board is fine. We need more hockey discussion, thus I need more people to jump in. Most is centered around football but all major sports are discussed. We also have a Monday night chat room on occasion that is live with all the board writers- you have to be a member to jump in. Free is free, come and go as you will unlike some pay sites. Also, the moderation is pretty square, as long as posters don't become d-bags they won't get in trouble. We have a good group of people that are opinionated but stay within the boudaries of good taste.

        Comment


        • #34
          Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

          Originally posted by Caustic Undertow View Post
          -sigh-

          I guess in my fantasy world, Michigan hockey fans could root for the team, share disappointments, and agree to disagree when disagreements happen. And even maybe forbear when we don't like how someone responds. We follow a great program and we have a great fan base, but it's mot like there are a lot of us.

          My remark above hadn't been intended as a rebuke of anyone on this board or off, and if it came out that way I apologize. My main point was actually that its remarkable how many people in the mainstream M hockey blogosphere (and twittersphere) cut their teeth here. I like to think that's good. Despite being out of Michigan for 8 years it is comforting to consider that I've actually met and befriended many of the people who are now the major bloggers. It's like visiting home when the hockey team is in the spotlight.

          It's the personal stuff that bugs me, going both ways. I think there are good opinions being voiced about evaluating the season on several sides, but some of the sharp personal stuff is crossing the line. (Ironically, I was going to use the adjective "caustic," but thought better of it given my handle). I suspect there's some arrogance in at least one direction and some jealousy in the other, too. But then, we are human, that's going to happen.

          Thing is, I admire anyone who puts their neck on the line and blogs about the hockey team. It takes a lot of effort and you can get a lot of pushback and the rewards in such a niche sport are slim. And this year there wasn't a lot of fun stuff to write about for a long time. Those of you who have been here for a while know I can get long-winded about the team and sport when I am so inspired, but unlike others I've never made the commitment or taken the risk to start my own blog. I'm not even a regular here anymore. Those who have done so are better men than me in this area, and I benefit from their efforts. And, in many cases, particularly here, their friendships.

          I just wish that when things were difficult, we could say that we disagree without suggesting that the one we disagree with is an idiot. Someday we're going to see that 10th championship, it will be nice to celebrate together.
          I don't have an opinion that really matters to the coaches or players. BUT, they do read this stuff and they are student-athletes, not pro players that take a check and with that, the criticisms that come with it.

          That said... I have a cordial relationship with the coaching staff. I have relationships with some of the guys. Not all of them want to talk, but others recognize the fact that, unlike the media, (that's not a slam, but their role is obviously more "official"-even though some of us get pressbox credentials) we are there to support them as fans and have a high degree of emotional investment as ticket holders/alums/fans. They appreciate what we do and they do read what we post. Therefore, we have to temper our praise as well as our criticisms. I personally enjoy talking to the guys and learn about who they are, not just as Michigan hockey players. They appreciate that, especially those guys that may not be the high profile stars with an NHL career in their future. If you don't think for one minute that Berenson and his staff do not monitor what is being said in social media and the blogosphere, you're ignorant. There is a reason why most players assume an "us against them" attitude when times are rough. They know fans are fickle and put a bunch of nonsense out there.

          I want to think that by supporting the program and keeping the dirt in house is a much better approach then the pillage and burn approach. It certainly hasn't hurt my access, as somewhat limited as it is.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by streaker View Post
            As far as the C & A's- yes, it would be Bennett and I wouldn't be surprised if Copp wore one, but it may not be next year.

            Keep in mind that some of the most talented players could also have been the most disruptive. I think this will go a long way in deciding who is wearing the leadership next Fall.
            My guess on leadership: Bennett, DeBlois and Copp. Sure seems like the last few classes have had many low key personalities, less mature than many other teams.

            Disruptive? These guys (most or all)?
            https://mobile.twitter.com/alexguptill/media/grid?idx=19&tid=263452502882668546

            Apparently too much lingering drama and BS this year to fix things in a timely manner. Team could afford one slump in November, but not another one in January. While the CCHA sked was relatively challenging with 4x ND, WMU and FSU, the out of conference sked was very weak with no NCAA teams. In terms of the four classes, I wonder how cohesive the junior class is amongst themselves, along with the sophomore class by itself too.

            We'll see who returns next year, and if the team has the talent and work ethic to avoid the month-long slumps that have occurred in 3 of the past 4 seasons.

            Comment


            • #36
              Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

              Originally posted by streaker View Post
              I don't have an opinion that really matters to the coaches or players. BUT, they do read this stuff and they are student-athletes, not pro players that take a check and with that, the criticisms that come with it.

              That said... I have a cordial relationship with the coaching staff. I have relationships with some of the guys. Not all of them want to talk, but others recognize the fact that, unlike the media, (that's not a slam, but their role is obviously more "official"-even though some of us get pressbox credentials) we are there to support them as fans and have a high degree of emotional investment as ticket holders/alums/fans. They appreciate what we do and they do read what we post. Therefore, we have to temper our praise as well as our criticisms. I personally enjoy talking to the guys and learn about who they are, not just as Michigan hockey players. They appreciate that, especially those guys that may not be the high profile stars with an NHL career in their future. If you don't think for one minute that Berenson and his staff do not monitor what is being said in social media and the blogosphere, you're ignorant. There is a reason why most players assume an "us against them" attitude when times are rough. They know fans are fickle and put a bunch of nonsense out there.

              I want to think that by supporting the program and keeping the dirt in house is a much better approach then the pillage and burn approach. It certainly hasn't hurt my access, as somewhat limited as it is.
              Your observation about the players reading criticism is astute. A lot of people on the internet say things in tones and language that no respectable person would ever use in person.

              To tell the truth, this is the first time I can remember mentally fighting off strong words of critique directed toward college players. But I did fight them off--I've always believed that it is inappropriate to flame college players, and still do. I was, for example, a vigorous defender of John Navarre when he endured criticism that is still the harshest ever directed at a Michigan player. I don't think he deserved to be held responsible for what was done.

              Anyway, I think your point is well-made. I think some of us (by which I mean me) are growing crankier in our old age, though, and perhaps it is good to be aware of that.
              Jesus Saves

              Comment


              • #37
                Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

                Originally posted by streaker View Post
                Mac Bennett (Sr.) Merrill (Sr.) DeBlois (Sr.) Clare (Sr.) (If he returns from injury) Janecyk (Sr.) Luke Moffatt (Sr.)- so who will wear the C?
                My money is on Mac (with a safety bet of Clare).
                Originally posted by alfablue
                Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

                  MGoBlue- Thanks for starting next season's thread, we definitely need to get the taste of 2012-2013 out of our mouths. This is an odd feeling, being finished before the tournament has even started. Oh well, anyway I also wanted to point out that you forgot to put an icon in the thread title to make it easier to locate the thread. I'm not sure if you can or not but can you edit your orinal post to put an icon in it, if possible?
                  Originally posted by alfablue
                  Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                  Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                  I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

                    Originally posted by billmich88888 View Post
                    I suggest they schedule a non=conference weekend in Alaska....always good for bonding
                    Good point, and if you go to Alaska you get that extra weekend right? Something to consider...
                    Originally posted by alfablue
                    Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                    Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                    I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

                      Very good article in the Daily about Merrill, Trouba, and the schedule:

                      http://www.michigandaily.com/node/71893
                      Originally posted by alfablue
                      Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                      Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                      I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

                        At least this season didn't end in OT

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

                          Jon Merrill has officially left school and will be signing with the New Jersey Devils.
                          ---
                          National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                          Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                          19 Conference Championships
                          10 Conference Tournament Championships
                          2 Hobey Baker Winners


                          @UMichWD on Twitter

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

                            He played disinterested on Sunday for long stretches

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

                              Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
                              Jon Merrill has officially left school and will be signing with the New Jersey Devils.
                              http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=662377

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

                                Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
                                Jon Merrill has officially left school and will be signing with the New Jersey Devils.
                                I know some people saw that coming. There were times during the first part of the season where I wondered how much play would improve if Merrill hadn't gotten injured in that exhibition game before the season started.


                                Now we wait for news of who the next departure is.
                                Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                                wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.



                                Arenas visited:
                                7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X