Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

Originally posted by streaker View Post
    Outside of the fact that no one on the bench gave a crap about this game, here are the compelling reasons why they lost:

1. Berenson put Dwyer in to finish the game in the last 5-10 minutes. He wasn't getting much help, but he wasn't good, either.
    2. Michigan spent the last half of the 3rd period on the pk.
    3. Mac Bennett and Derek DeBlois didn't play.
    4. See above.

I wouldn't waste much sleep on it since it was a glorified practice.
    This. In the 3rd period you could see the U-18 team was playing hard, and Michigan was treating it like an exhibition/practice. Unfortunately, that lazy, we've got a good lead hockey has been seen in games that count as well.

Not too concerned with a "loss" since it is exhibition and clearly the U-18 team wanted it more.

I feel awful for Luke Dwyer. To go from the excitment of getting to play, to the dissapointment of allowing 3 goals on 4? shots. The team went crazy when he went in, so it's good to see them all behind him. Here's the quote from Guptill about Dwyer playing
    ...for Dwyer to get in at the end, he earned that opportunity. He's been the hardest worker here for two and a half years, and he has nothing to show for it. That's why everyone was begging to get him in there at the end, and I've got a sick feeling in my stomach right now for us to blow that lead for him, it's pretty bad. Dwyer is the definition of a Michigan Man; he's worked out really hard and earned every opportunity out there. We're really happy for him, and hopefully he looks back at this someday and laughs, but it was pretty fun to get him in there.
    I liked that Red started last year's U-18 for the game (Motte, Compher, Allen).
    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
    7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by bluevox View Post
      "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to wolverineTrumpet again."
      I've been getting that for everyone for the last several weeks, not just wT but streaker, alfa, vox, and a few other people on the Minny threads. I don't know what is up with that? If no none else says anything intelligent what are we supposed to do, give out participation reputation?
      Originally posted by alfablue
      Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
      Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
      I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        Leave halfway through the 3rd period with a two goal lead, and just as we walk in the house, we see that we lost in overtime.

so if anyone wonders why this thread does not consider us a top 5 team, there you go.

Michigan looked ok through the game, but were playing very sloppy at times. Could have gone up by a couple of more, based on some great chances, but instead, they gave the U18 team better chances and 3 more goals. Ugh.

One more game before the GLI, and one wonders if this team has what it needs to get through a conference schedule or not.
        I always pretty much knew that we weren't Top 5 team, Top 10 is more like it but that fact that it was an exhibition and the players didn't really care was the main factor. However, this is two years in a row now. That hole in east landfill won't be very kind when we have t go over there (those two games will also be the only time(s) that anyone is there).
        I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

I wouldn't waste much sleep on it since it was a glorified practice.
          This! But I still hate losing...

Comment

Ferris State comes calling this Wednesday... important? I'd say yes for the following reasons:

1. They are currently leading the WCHA and probably are in a good position to win it.
            2. They are neck and neck with Michigan as far as win %, SoS and RPI. This is a solid resume building game for the PWR / NCAA tourney.
            3. This is the last game at Yost until January, so it essentially the last game of the 1st half of the season (not counting the GLI.)
            4. Former conference foe and in-state rival.
            5. The Motte Factor.
            6. Teddy Bear Toss time.

Comment

Ferris State comes calling this Wednesday... important? I'd say yes for the following reasons:

1. They are currently leading the WCHA and probably are in a good position to win it.
              2. They are neck and neck with Michigan as far as win %, SoS and RPI. This is a solid resume building game for the PWR / NCAA tourney.
              3. This is the last game at Yost until January, so it essentially the last game of the 1st half of the season (not counting the GLI.)
              5. The Motte Factor.
              6. Teddy Bear Toss time.
              A very important game for the PWR, hopefully the team has regrouped and is focused after p!ssing away third period leads in 5 of its last 6 games as Michigan has lost 3 one-goal leads (UNO, UNO, OSU), one 2-goal lead (USNTDP) and one 3-goal lead (OSU). A nasty trend that has developed as the team starting scoring more goals relative to the low scoring games from October.

Comment

Originally posted by alnike View Post
                A very important game for the PWR, hopefully the team has regrouped and is focused after p!ssing away third period leads in 5 of its last 6 games as Michigan has lost 3 one-goal leads (UNO, UNO, OSU), one 2-goal lead (USNTDP) and one 3-goal lead (OSU). A nasty trend that has developed as the team starting scoring more goals relative to the low scoring games from October.
                Which is why I think a rededication by the forwards to backcheck better and to forecheck harder. The opponent's are having too easy of a time navigating through the neutral zone and entering our zone. Couple that with our blue line injuries and it is a strong case to push the offense harder, I guess. At least we'll get Serville back into the lineup and field 6 regular d-men.

The other trend: our penalty killing has stunk lately. 80% is unacceptable.

Comment

5. The Motte Factor.
                  6. Teddy Bear Toss time.
                  Probable common opponent with the gophers.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                    Great point, but I wouldn't look past RPI.

Comment

I agree with streaker, but it is a possible common opponent.

Comment

I'm really loving BTN2GO. Its got replays on everything...I'm hoping the MI/Ferris game is on. I have to think MI will be motivated for this one.
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

I'm really loving BTN2GO. Its got replays on everything...I'm hoping the MI/Ferris game is on. I have to think MI will be motivated for this one.
                          It's suppose to be on BTN2Go. My only concern is that it's blacked out in MI due to Fox Sports Detroit's broadcast. I hope it isn't.
                          "What I get paid for are the practices, I would play the games for nothing."
                          - Tim Horton

Ferris State University
                          CCHA Champions 2003 & 2012

Comment

M better be motivated... Ferris 13 game unbeaten streak is made up of the WCHA, Mercyhurst, Colgate and St. Lawrence. Not a compelling argument for their lofty ranking- even with a top 15 SoS rank right now-so Ferris will be motivated to prove they can beat top 10 teams, especially on the road.

Comment

Not a compelling argument for their lofty ranking- even with a top 15 SoS rank right now-so Ferris will be motivated to prove they can beat top 10 teams, especially on the road.
                              Then what is Michigan's compelling argument for their lofty ranking, having played almost exactly as difficult a schedule as Ferris State?
                              Originally posted by dicaslover
                              Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                              Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                                Then what is Michigan's compelling argument for their lofty ranking, having played almost exactly as difficult a schedule as Ferris State?
                                BC, BU, UNH, UML, UNO, etc > FSU's schedule no matter how whacked out the SoS gods cut it. Doesn't make sense at all and changes every game. Weakest opponent: Niagara. FSU's weakest opponent: UAH. It doesn't pass the eyeball test.

Comment

Working...
                                X