X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

Originally posted by JoeZ View Post
    Don't even get me started.

The day Brandon leaves (forced out?) will be the happiest day of my life!

The way he treated long time basketball season ticket holders when he instituted the season ticket extortion fee is CRIMINAL!
    I don't like the student treatment, but fer god sakes, support your team anyway. I have a personal $$ limit in my mind that I won't cross. Once it is breeched, the Michigan brand can be supported at home. That's why they are making the B1G tv bucks, right?

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
      At least he's getting stuff done and renovating everything. Unlike the last twit who let facilities rot for years.

http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/ot-thoug...omment-2312046
      I beg to differ. Mr. Martin was bad at most thing related to the athletic dept., but he wasn't cheap when it came to the renovations- he actually raised more ticket prices than Brandon. And, as much as a snake oil salesman Don Canham was rumored to be, he was the one who laid the foundation for modern marketing and renovation of the Michigan brand- without piddling people off.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
        I beg to differ. Mr. Martin was bad at most thing related to the athletic dept., but he wasn't cheap when it came to the renovations- he actually raised more ticket prices than Brandon. And, as much as a snake oil salesman Don Canham was rumored to be, he was the one who laid the foundation for modern marketing and renovation of the Michigan brand- without piddling people off.
        I agree, as far as I've heard Canham was crafty...

Of course most of what I know about Canham comes from Bacon so take it for what it's worth.

Yes Martin raised ticket prices but for what? Both Crisler and Yost became serious holes in the wall. Yes he ponied up big bucks for the football renovations but look at the money that is bringing in now (imagine if we were good). Brandon has improved the venues for hockey, bouncy-ball, softball, baseball, field hockey, soccer, and pretty much everything else.

Crisler was a dark dungeon and Yost, as much as we loved it, was an old drafty barn...
        Originally posted by alfablue
        Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
        Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
        I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
          I agree, as far as I've heard Canham was crafty...

Of course most of what I know about Canham comes from Bacon so take it for what it's worth.

Yes Martin raised ticket prices but for what? Both Crisler and Yost became serious holes in the wall. Yes he ponied up big bucks for the football renovations but look at the money that is bringing in now (imagine if we were good). Brandon has improved the venues for hockey, bouncy-ball, softball, baseball, field hockey, soccer, and pretty much everything else.

Crisler was a dark dungeon and Yost, as much as we loved it, was an old drafty barn...
          Those plans were already in place, discussed by the board of regents... Brandon executed them once the financing was approved. IIRC, the new football practice facility was financed by a wealthy donor (which it is named after) and the athletic study hall was in play before Brandon, too.

You are correct about the other venues and his continued campus vision.

Comment

The cosmetic renovations has nothing to do with anything except maybe higher costs. Today's students have a different mindset, IMO.
            I disagree to some extent. The Yost renovation that took out the seats on the glass in the student section have destroyed some of the intimidation factor. I know I've said it before, but I also hate the way that empty space looks on tv. You used to have fans right on top of the action and I miss that.

Originally posted by JoeZ View Post
            Don't even get me started.

The day Brandon leaves (forced out?) will be the happiest day of my life!

The way he treated long time basketball season ticket holders when he instituted the season ticket extortion fee is CRIMINAL!
            I will be a happy girl when Brandon is gone. What do you think of the basketball atmosphere these days? I've only been to one game this season, but the amount of advertising and crap during each break of play was really getting to me. It felt more like an NBA game than a college game, and I am a fan of college sports mostly because I prefer the atmosphere, tradition, bands, and loyalty of a college program.

There has been some discussion in the Yost student section of making a sign that reads "This cheer brought to you by ________" and filling it in for every chant we do with a rival of whatever sponsor. So maybe the C-ya chant will be brought to you by Ford.

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
            Agreed on the Crisler and Yost renovations (with the exception of what I stated above). Crisler especially went from an outdated hole to something more respectable.

In hockey news, the jailbait visits Yost tonight. I tend to not pay attention to recruiting, are there any Michigan commits to keep an eye out for?
            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
            7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
              In hockey news, the jailbait visits Yost tonight. I tend to not pay attention to recruiting, are there any Michigan commits to keep an eye out for?
              Center Dylan Larkin

Comment

There has been some discussion in the Yost student section of making a sign that reads "This cheer brought to you by ________" and filling it in for every chant we do with a rival of whatever sponsor. So maybe the C-ya chant will be brought to you by Ford.
                "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to wolverineTrumpet again."
                Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

Leave halfway through the 3rd period with a two goal lead, and just as we walk in the house, we see that we lost in overtime.

so if anyone wonders why this thread does not consider us a top 5 team, there you go.

Michigan looked ok through the game, but were playing very sloppy at times. Could have gone up by a couple of more, based on some great chances, but instead, they gave the U18 team better chances and 3 more goals. Ugh.

One more game before the GLI, and one wonders if this team has what it needs to get through a conference schedule or not.

Comment

Originally posted by bluevox View Post
                    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to wolverineTrumpet again."
                    +1

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                      Leave halfway through the 3rd period with a two goal lead, and just as we walk in the house, we see that we lost in overtime.

so if anyone wonders why this thread does not consider us a top 5 team, there you go.

Michigan looked ok through the game, but were playing very sloppy at times. Could have gone up by a couple of more, based on some great chances, but instead, they gave the U18 team better chances and 3 more goals. Ugh.

One more game before the GLI, and one wonders if this team has what it needs to get through a conference schedule or not.
                      Watch out for Wisconsin. They were picked to win the B1G for a reason...and they're getting their game back.
                      Go Gophers!

Comment

Outside of the fact that no one on the bench gave a crap about this game, here are the compelling reasons why they lost:

1. Berenson put Dwyer in to finish the game in the last 5-10 minutes. He wasn't getting much help, but he wasn't good, either.
                        2. Michigan spent the last half of the 3rd period on the pk.
                        3. Mac Bennett and Derek DeBlois didn't play.
                        4. See above.

I wouldn't waste much sleep on it since it was a glorified practice.

Comment

I disagree to some extent. The Yost renovation that took out the seats on the glass in the student section have destroyed some of the intimidation factor. I know I've said it before, but I also hate the way that empty space looks on tv. You used to have fans right on top of the action and I miss that.

It's a valid point, but what kind of intimidation are you referring to? The kind with 1.5 sections of students or the kind with the whole eastern sideline filled? That area that got taken out only affects a couple of sections on each end. Besides, the administration had enough of the vulgar act- the students were warned- so now the program acted (band plays over it, reconfigured seating, higher tix prices) and the students go away in droves. Problem solved without tossing multitudes of students out each game that can't align with more clever chants (see your suggestion on "this chant brought to you by Toyota" for instance). Brandon doesn't have to answer hundreds of complaints, still has butts in the seats and makes his $.

Just my observations.

Comment

Outside of the fact that no one on the bench gave a crap about this game, here are the compelling reasons why they lost:

1. Berenson put Dwyer in to finish the game in the last 5-10 minutes. He wasn't getting much help, but he wasn't good, either.
                            2. Michigan spent the last half of the 3rd period on the pk.
                            3. Mac Bennett and Derek DeBlois didn't play.
                            4. See above.

I wouldn't waste much sleep on it since it was a glorified practice.
                            Not going to lose sleep over it, but I would at least think they know how to at least defend a lead.

I KNOW this team can beat anyone. Seeing the BC game show the ability. The question is if they can consistently put it together. And right now, the big question is just the 3rd period, let alone an entire weekend.

Comment

Not going to lose sleep over it, but I would at least think they know how to at least defend a lead.

I KNOW this team can beat anyone. Seeing the BC game show the ability. The question is if they can consistently put it together. And right now, the big question is just the 3rd period, let alone an entire weekend.
                              Like I said, Dwyer was caught out of position with a little over a minute to go- and the USA team made a good play on the PPG, 4-3.

Then, the boys fell asleep and couldn't clear the zone 6x5 and they tied it with :32 on a wrap around effort with Dwyer way out of his crease and got tied up with his own d-man scrambling back.

In OT, the USNDT boys just wanted it more. Dwyer was beaten on a partial screen shot directly in front of him from about 25 feet out. Should have had it.

I understand the concern because it becomes a mental issue after awhile, but I guarantee you that it is different this season. Bennett, DeBlois and Copp will get it straightened out.

Comment

It's a valid point, but what kind of intimidation are you referring to? The kind with 1.5 sections of students or the kind with the whole eastern sideline filled? That area that got taken out only affects a couple of sections on each end. Besides, the administration had enough of the vulgar act- the students were warned- so now the program acted (band plays over it, reconfigured seating, higher tix prices) and the students go away in droves. Problem solved without tossing multitudes of students out each game that can't align with more clever chants (see your suggestion on "this chant brought to you by Toyota" for instance). Brandon doesn't have to answer hundreds of complaints, still has butts in the seats and makes his $.

Just my observations.
                                Not to mention the fact that there seem to be two student sections: The small group of people next to the band who are doing one thing, and the larger group not next to the band who are doing something else (read: what the student section used to do) because the smaller group makes no effort to include them and seems to have their own, new things they want to do instead. You can see it happening from the other side of the rink.

Comment

Working...
                                X