Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

Thoughts on Friday nights game:

I would have rather had a 3-2 win without the gift turnover to tie the game and subsequent overtime heroics.

OSU was better than I had expected. Veteran forward group and Fritz was the most dangerous player in my eyes. Also, Davis was their 3rd string goalie entering the season and he played well.

I thought both goalies would like to have the first goal back.

I like the renovated look of Yost, but the atmosphere now feels like a Pistons game with the introductions, sponsorships, giving food away in the crowd, etc.

Compher, Guptill and Copp were the top Michigan players, and it showed on the score sheet. All were dangerous and did not convert on other quality chances too.

To say Guptill plays well against OSU is an understatement. So far, he has 12 (8-4) points in 7 games vs. the Buckeyes.

Although Zach Hyman has not scored a goal in about 20 games, I see why he still plays with his hard work and hustle.

4th line freshman Kile and Allen do struggle on the defensive end, and I would expect Selman to replace one of them tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
      I thought 2 of the 3 were own goals. I know the 2nd one went off us. My friend claimed aOSU's 1st goal went in off Michigan.

I expected the team to be a little more dominant against the **ckeyes. I still don't know if this is a good team or an average team that somehow pulls off the 1 goal win.

Monday night college hockey is weird. I almost forgot there will be a game to watch tonight. Go Blue!
      On the first goal, Zach was late sliding across. He had clear vision of the shot (from the top of the circle) and muffed it.

On the 2nd goal, if you look at the highlights, it is clear that the Buck forward wasn't tied up, got a stick on the puck and it slid five hole. Zach was protecting the near post. I don't fault him at all, the guy should have been covered. Al Randall mentioned in his broadcast that it hit one of our guys, but I don't think that is what the video shows.

Comment

Originally posted by alnike View Post
        Thoughts on Friday nights game:

I would have rather had a 3-2 win without the gift turnover to tie the game and subsequent overtime heroics.

OSU was better than I had expected. Veteran forward group and Fritz was the most dangerous player in my eyes. Also, Davis was their 3rd string goalie entering the season and he played well.

I thought both goalies would like to have the first goal back.
        Agree on all points. OSU's biggest criticism is that they have played a soft nc schedule and have played most of their games at home. Even Buck fans don't know what they have.

I like the renovated look of Yost, but the atmosphere now feels like a Pistons game with the introductions, sponsorships, giving food away in the crowd, etc.
        There is a strong undercurrent that Brandon has changed the atmosphere with his marketing tactics and emphasizes it over winning. There isn't the same intimidation factor at Yost, the student section has dwindled to a section and a half from the entire eastern sideline. The renovations are mostly cosmetic and keeps the amateur feel of a university arena over the posh, spoiled surrounds with individual padded seats that most professional arenas have (or our fellow B1G rivals.) I haven't felt the changes in the pocket book yet as much, but it is coming.

Compher, Guptill and Copp were the top Michigan players, and it showed on the score sheet. All were dangerous and did not convert on other quality chances too.

To say Guptill plays well against OSU is an understatement. So far, he has 12 (8-4) points in 7 games vs. the Buckeyes.

Although Zach Hyman has not scored a goal in about 20 games, I see why he still plays with his hard work and hustle.

4th line freshman Kile and Allen do struggle on the defensive end, and I would expect Selman to replace one of them tonight.
        On your first point, I have been highly critical of #27 since his little late summer fall-out of grace and suspension. He dogged it the first few games he was back and wasn't clicking (like last season) with his former linemate, Nieves. Gups finally emerged against Niagara and carried it over against OSU- as he said, he wishes he played them every game. Since scoring his first goal, Compher has been on fire. He drives the net hard (just like Copp) and is a plus on defense. Copp didn't have a memorable game against OSU, but came through when it mattered- like a leader does. I felt he was frustrated all game and was getting manhandled by the bigger Bucks.

Hyman does work real hard, doesn't dog it at all. I wish he could get off the scheind, but his work in the corners is noticable. His speed is what helps him, too.

Kile, Allen and Selman are all similar players, although Allen has more offensive upside- but is smaller. I guess who gets in is a Red decision, based on practice and tendencies.
        I also thought that Sinelli held his own on the blueline since Lohan is lost for the season probably and Serville has what is thought to be a concussion in practice. I can't believe that Szuma hasn't been given a chance, or Bus Hyman, but it was poiinted out on twitter that Sinelli provides a RH shot versus the rest of the d-men who are a LH shot (or vice versa.)

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
          On the first goal, Zach was late sliding across. He had clear vision of the shot (from the top of the circle) and muffed it.

On the 2nd goal, if you look at the highlights, it is clear that the Buck forward wasn't tied up, got a stick on the puck and it slid five hole. Zach was protecting the near post. I don't fault him at all, the guy should have been covered. Al Randall mentioned in his broadcast that it hit one of our guys, but I don't think that is what the video shows.
          You are correct Max got his stick on it and deflected it.

Comment

Agree on all points. OSU's biggest criticism is that they have played a soft nc schedule and have played most of their games at home. Even Buck fans don't know what they have.
            I totally agree with you i dont know what Ohio State has i am excited to see how they come out tonight and then in Jan i cant wait to see the rest of the Big Ten.

Comment

Well, that was interesting. Build a 4-1 lead, play well defensively and then get lazy with penalties and backchecking. Boom, tie game. Thank the stars that OSU fell asleep and let probably our best two offensive d-men sneak in and beat them. Not that the last 1:30 didn't have its moments.

40+ shots? Again? is that generous OSU shot padding or really what happened? I thought we had that many on Davis....

I'd like to take credit for getting Hyman off the Schneid... thank you very much... and at the same time take the blame for Sinelli's faux pas as well.

Oh well, 10-2-1 and a date with the USNDT this week. Next Wednesday, the WCHA leading Ferris State team invades Yost.

Nothing like a sweep sandwich.... unfortunately the bread is filled with the crap left over from Saturday.

Comment

Well, that was interesting. Build a 4-1 lead, play well defensively and then get lazy with penalties and backchecking. Boom, tie game. Thank the stars that OSU fell asleep and let probably our best two offensive d-men sneak in and beat them. Not that the last 1:30 didn't have its moments.

40+ shots? Again? is that generous OSU shot padding or really what happened? I thought we had that many on Davis....

I'd like to take credit for getting Hyman off the Schneid... thank you very much... and at the same time take the blame for Sinelli's faux pas as well.

Oh well, 10-2-1 and a date with the USNDT this week. Next Wednesday, the WCHA leading Ferris State team invades Yost.

Nothing like a sweep sandwich.... unfortunately the bread is filled with the crap left over from Saturday.
                Very entertaining hockey game. I come away very impressed with your hockey team. Good Luck until February

Comment

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/big-...real-canadiens

Taking a look at the pro potential of Mac Bennett
                  https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                  Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Another game where you take the result and move on, but only liked the play for 1 of 3 periods.

Becoming a pattern with these third period leads on the road (OSU, UNO) disappearing quickly.

In all 13 games this year, Michigan has either had a third period lead or been tied at one point in all games.

Hyman finally rewarded for his efforts on the score sheet, and now its time for the one true underperforming forward to contribute, Boo Nieves. Perhaps he will have a chance over the GLI if players like Compher and Copp are away competing at the WJC. Guptill added to his OSU point total. Compher is now through his adjustment period and is making an impact each night now.

Racine - didn't have much help and he guessed wrong on the 3rd goal and poked the rebound to the shooter on the 4th goal. Like Zach as the #1.

Let's get through the USNTDP game, and take a key PWR game vs. Ferris State before the Holidays.

Comment

Another game where you take the result and move on, but only liked the play for 1 of 3 periods.

Becoming a pattern with these third period leads on the road (OSU, UNO) disappearing quickly.

In all 13 games this year, Michigan has either had a third period lead or been tied at one point in all games.

Hyman finally rewarded for his efforts on the score sheet, and now its time for the one true underperforming forward to contribute, Boo Nieves. Perhaps he will have a chance over the GLI if players like Compher and Copp are away competing at the WJC. Guptill added to his OSU point total. Compher is now through his adjustment period and is making an impact each night now.

Racine - didn't have much help and he guessed wrong on the 3rd goal and poked the rebound to the shooter on the 4th goal. Like Zach as the #1.

Let's get through the USNTDP game, and take a key PWR game vs. Ferris State before the Holidays.
                      Agree on all points, although Nieves did have the key pass to Hyman (IIRC) for his goal. He is racking up the assists, just not finishing his goal chances.

I like how our defense finally activated. Saw many times where the play was kept into the zone by the d-men and rushes up the ice as the third man (Clare, De Jong, Chiasson) which ultimately resulted in the GWG by Bennett. Downing absolutely drilled a laser, too.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                        Very entertaining hockey game. I come away very impressed with your hockey team. Good Luck until February
                        You guys will do fine if they continue to play for 60 minutes. No quit.

Comment

There is a strong undercurrent that Brandon has changed the atmosphere with his marketing tactics and emphasizes it over winning. There isn't the same intimidation factor at Yost, the student section has dwindled to a section and a half from the entire eastern sideline. The renovations are mostly cosmetic and keeps the amateur feel of a university arena over the posh, spoiled surrounds with individual padded seats that most professional arenas have (or our fellow B1G rivals.) I haven't felt the changes in the pocket book yet as much, but it is coming.
                          Yea, the Student section is a shell of what it used to be, I attribute that to both last seasons absolute collapse (at the beginning of the year, they ended well but not quite good enough), the teeam not being as good (there is no Morrison, Turco, or Porter on this team), and ticket prices (they're not astronomically high yet but even the small increases are felt by many students). I know that I'm not alone when I say that I miss the old wooden bleachers but it was time. Yost just doesn't have that feel or even the roasted almond smell anymore. All in all the renovations had to be done even though Yost lost something. If Michigan makes a Frozen Four run this year (which is not guaranteed by any means) more students will buy tickets. I don't see it ever getting back to the good ole' days though. I remember one year that I didn't get my student tickets until the last minute. I was stuck in section 1 (the west-side line) and there were about 10 other students there with me. We would look at the entire east sideline except the first few rows behind the players benches packed with students. Those were the days...
                          Originally posted by alfablue
                          Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                          Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                          I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                            Yea, the Student section is a shell of what it used to be, I attribute that to both last seasons absolute collapse (at the beginning of the year, they ended well but not quite good enough), the teeam not being as good (there is no Morrison, Turco, or Porter on this team), and ticket prices (they're not astronomically high yet but even the small increases are felt by many students). I know that I'm not alone when I say that I miss the old wooden bleachers but it was time. Yost just doesn't have that feel or even the roasted almond smell anymore. All in all the renovations had to be done even though Yost lost something. If Michigan makes a Frozen Four run this year (which is not guaranteed by any means) more students will buy tickets. I don't see it ever getting back to the good ole' days though. I remember one year that I didn't get my student tickets until the last minute. I was stuck in section 1 (the west-side line) and there were about 10 other students there with me. We would look at the entire east sideline except the first few rows behind the players benches packed with students. Those were the days...
                            The cosmetic renovations has nothing to do with anything except maybe higher costs. Today's students have a different mindset, IMO. Show up late or not at all at the football games; don't buy hockey tix; fill Crisler though, because... well... that is the flavor of the month. I don't feel the loyalty, either. Turn on their teams, coaches etc. very quickly. Brandon is a marketing man and there is an undercurrent amongst students and some long time ticket holders/alums that he is only interested in the $ and not the atmosphere. Students do not like him and other blogger/former student/public figures are making noise about Brandon, his practices etc.

Comment

Brandon is a marketing man and there is an undercurrent amongst students and some long time ticket holders/alums that he is only interested in the $ and not the atmosphere.
                              Don't even get me started.

The day Brandon leaves (forced out?) will be the happiest day of my life!

The way he treated long time basketball season ticket holders when he instituted the season ticket extortion fee is CRIMINAL!
                              Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
                              Row 1
                              Seats 6 & 7
                              Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

Originally posted by JoeZ View Post
                                Don't even get me started.

The day Brandon leaves (forced out?) will be the happiest day of my life!

The way he treated long time basketball season ticket holders when he instituted the season ticket extortion fee is CRIMINAL!
                                At least he's getting stuff done and renovating everything. Unlike the last twit who let facilities rot for years.

http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/ot-thoug...omment-2312046
                                ---
                                National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                                Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                                19 Conference Championships
                                10 Conference Tournament Championships
                                2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X