Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
    Yea, I was shocked that they counted Copp's goal. Why did they even review it? The goal light didn't even go on. The net became dislodged a good second or two before the puck crossed the line. Or have I confused the college vs. NHL rules again? I thought that it was college that had the rule that the exact second the net becomes dislodged the play is dead. I saw that in real time and then it was confirmed from the replay. How a goal was awarded there I'll never know but it's better for Michigan (although that wasn't a deciding factor in the game) so I'll take it.
    It's a new rule that red explained in his post game comments. If a d-man takes out a forward and sends him into the net then it is the discretion of the official to count a shot that is unimpeded to the net. It was clear that Copp would have had a half empty net to score in otherwise. I just thought we'd get "Aaron-ed" again.

Comment

• Originally posted by streaker View Post
      It's a new rule that red explained in his post game comments. If a d-man takes out a forward and sends him into the net then it is the discretion of the official to count a shot that is unimpeded to the net. It was clear that Copp would have had a half empty net to score in otherwise. I just thought we'd get "Aaron-ed" again.
      Lol!!!!!!!!
      Originally posted by alfablue
      Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
      Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
      I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
        My friends and I have been calling it the Michigan State rule. I think it was their regional game against Union (2012?) where they had a goal called off because the net was dislodged. The rule changed the following year (2012-2013 season).
        I'm still not sure about the call on Friday. Had Copp even gotten the shot off before the net came off? I'll take the goal in favor of the team I cheer for, but it seems questionable.

Good to have a team like Niagara to come in so we can score a few goals. Can that offensive production translate into the B1G season? Probably not, except maybe against State. Wow, they seem even more dreadful this year. Looking forward to hockey against aOSU this weekend. At least we stand a chance on the ice rinks. I'm going to the football game too, but I'm not optimistic about that one.
        Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
        wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
        7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
          My friends and I have been calling it the Michigan State rule. I think it was their regional game against Union (2012?) where they had a goal called off because the net was dislodged. The rule changed the following year (2012-2013 season).
          I'm still not sure about the call on Friday. Had Copp even gotten the shot off before the net came off? I'll take the goal in favor of the team I cheer for, but it seems questionable.
          Based on the replays I saw, Copp hadn't shot the puck yet. The spirit of the new rule takes that in effect since the probability that he would have a good chance to score would be high. I'm not sure this is the best path to take on a rule, I'd prefer to have either an automatic delay of game penalty assessed or a penalty shot awarded if the goal is not awarded. If by some chance the shooter misses the net or the netminder miraculously stops the shot, there should be some punishment for the defensive team.

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
          Good to have a team like Niagara to come in so we can score a few goals. Can that offensive production translate into the B1G season? Probably not, except maybe against State. Wow, they seem even more dreadful this year. Looking forward to hockey against aOSU this weekend. At least we stand a chance on the ice rinks. I'm going to the football game too, but I'm not optimistic about that one.
          I don't like to rip opposing teams after they get their tails handed to them, but Niagara is pretty young and it showed. They get high marks for working hard, but they are getting run out of just about every building they visit outside of their own league. But, I have to be critical of Michigan's performance Friday- they gave up too many grade A chances and way too many shots on goal. It has become a distressing pattern that better B1G teams- and I mean like Wisconsin and Minnesota- will pounce on. Ohio State has experienced talent that would love to get opportunities like that next weekend- and even MSU and PSU will score given enough opportunities. I'd rather win 3-0 and only give up a couple chances and 19 shots on goal than what is going on lately. The team played so much better against BC, UNH, BU and UML in that regard, even though those teams still produced a good number of chances.

I think our team is going to suffer offensively because we aren't generating anything from the blueline. The defense has 12 points (all assists) this season. That's alot of pressure on the forwards, especially since they have to focus on defensive responsibilities also. I saw Bennett and De Jong rush up ice pretty well last game, but that's it. If that is the case, then tighten the defense up and make that our focus. We have talented forwards that like to skate, but when the puck isn't going in against the better teams, the better path is to be patient and play good defense first. Niagara and RIT were the offensive outliars this season, and after seeing both teams, I can see why.

Comment

Ohio State week I. Let's hope the hockey team starts the weekend off correctly and finishes it correctly (Monday night.)

I don't know if OSU has faced a team with the type of defensive emphasis that we have this season. By the numbers, they can score goals... but they have also played six games against the AHC (and I don't mean AFA either.) In other words, their offense may be skewed a bit high (although they did average 3 GPG against Miami and split with BG and UMD.) The defense on the other hand is what troubles them, as well as their special teams. Sounds like they have a couple solid freshmen goaltenders that, if in the groove, can stone anyone. I think if Michigan gets the lead, OSU opens it up and that might be trouble for them. I expect a couple of close games nonetheless, well... just because. And, for kicks, OSU swept us the last trip into Yost two years ago. We returned the favor down in the pit the last two years, so 5 of the last 8 games would have been played down there after this series is over.

Comment

Ohio State week I. Let's hope the hockey team starts the weekend off correctly and finishes it correctly (Monday night.)

I don't know if OSU has faced a team with the type of defensive emphasis that we have this season. By the numbers, they can score goals... but they have also played six games against the AHC (and I don't mean AFA either.) In other words, their offense may be skewed a bit high (although they did average 3 GPG against Miami and split with BG and UMD.) The defense on the other hand is what troubles them, as well as their special teams. Sounds like they have a couple solid freshmen goaltenders that, if in the groove, can stone anyone. I think if Michigan gets the lead, OSU opens it up and that might be trouble for them. I expect a couple of close games nonetheless, well... just because. And, for kicks, OSU swept us the last trip into Yost two years ago. We returned the favor down in the pit the last two years, so 5 of the last 8 games would have been played down there after this series is over.
              You are pretty much right on all fronts here. The goal stats really were padded the last 2 series they played Niagara and Canisius they have scored 16 goals in those 4 games. The PK has been a real problem especially early on they had given up a PP goal in the first 7 games but have killed off 22 straight beginning with the 2nd game against Duluth. I am interested in seeing how well Tomkins plays(if he does play) after being off since the 8th of November with injury. They havent played a really solid team other than Duluth. This series will show them how far they have come and how far they have to go to be a good team. I have watched Michigan play on TV and have been really impressed with them.

Comment

Hey there. Happy Thanksgiving folks. Anyone have suggestions on a reasonable approach to procuring a ticket for the game at Yost tomorrow? Does Jerry at Coach and 4 still hang them in his window?
                Engelwood jack, that's the way.

Comment

are we going to be able to park in the Crisler Center lot tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                    are we going to be able to park in the Crisler Center lot tomorrow?

No, they are playing Coppin State at 3 pm.

Comment

Very good game played tonight. Nice win for your team looking forward to the rematch on monday night.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                        Very good game played tonight. Nice win for your team looking forward to the rematch on monday night.
                        Tough to be critical after a win against your archrival, but too many shots on goals, too many quality chances and what a set of giveaways tonight by our defense. This is becoming a dangerous pattern. The good news: JT Compher is starting to emerge and Alex Guptill nets another one. Nagelvoort let a poor one go by, but overall was decent. OSU is big and physical and worked hard with the forecheck. It didn't help having another d-man out (Serville) meaning we had a forward on the blueline. (I don't know how Sinelli is better than Szuma, coaches decision.) That was Copp's second OT winner this season, 3-0 in OT overall.

Comment

Nagelvoort let a poor one go by, but overall was decent.
                          I actually thought that 2 of the 3 goals from ohio were poor goals that voort should have stopped. I was thinking that was a poor game by Zach, but hey, we won. ohio is no pushover, I'm guessing that they'll come in at 4th place in the league this year (3rd is their ceiling though).

1.) Minny
                          2.) Michigan
                          3.) Wisconsin
                          4.) ohio
                          5.) sparty
                          6.) PSU

I can see Wisconsin and ohio changing places and maybe sparty and Penn State but that's the jist of it. I don't see Michigan getting bye Minny, I hope I'm wrong but yea...
                          Originally posted by alfablue
                          Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                          Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                          I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Don't underestimate the Buckeyes. They have a veteran team and use their size and experience well. Their goaltending is their question mark. They can score goals. They played pretty well last night.

As far as Nagelvoort- he was slow to position himself on the first goal and should have had that. The second goal was a deflection through his legs. Our d-man didn't tie McCormick's stick up. The third goal was set up on a silver platter by a poor reverse by Clare, and Downing was slow to pick the cutting forward in the slot. He buried it- I don't see where Zach had a chance there.

Overall, the team looked really sluggish and got outskated at key points. This season is razor close to being the opposite: 6-2 in one goal games, 3-0 in OT plus a tie. I don't think they are playing with the same defensive edge they came out with early on- but missing Lohan and Serville in the lineup may have something to do with that.

I thought Compher and Guptill had jump all night.

Comment

Don't underestimate the Buckeyes. They have a veteran team and use their size and experience well. Their goaltending is their question mark. They can score goals. They played pretty well last night.

As far as Nagelvoort- he was slow to position himself on the first goal and should have had that. The second goal was a deflection through his legs. Our d-man didn't tie McCormick's stick up. The third goal was set up on a silver platter by a poor reverse by Clare, and Downing was slow to pick the cutting forward in the slot. He buried it- I don't see where Zach had a chance there.

Overall, the team looked really sluggish and got outskated at key points. This season is razor close to being the opposite: 6-2 in one goal games, 3-0 in OT plus a tie. I don't think they are playing with the same defensive edge they came out with early on- but missing Lohan and Serville in the lineup may have something to do with that.

I thought Compher and Guptill had jump all night.
                              I was very impressed with Compher he was all over the place and Guptil well he has killed the Buckeyes in the last 3 games now.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                                I actually thought that 2 of the 3 goals from ohio were poor goals that voort should have stopped.
                                I thought 2 of the 3 were own goals. I know the 2nd one went off us. My friend claimed aOSU's 1st goal went in off Michigan.

I expected the team to be a little more dominant against the **ckeyes. I still don't know if this is a good team or an average team that somehow pulls off the 1 goal win.

Monday night college hockey is weird. I almost forgot there will be a game to watch tonight. Go Blue!
                                Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                                wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                                7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Working...
                                X