Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
    As the Babcock to Michigan rumors are flying on MGoBlog, I have been told by my brother who works in the athletic department that MB is very interested in the job and has met with Dave Brandon about it.
    Babcock has a daughter at Michigan which gives him a reason to be on campus hobknobbing with Brandon. He was a frequent visitor to Yost last season. Berenson is not near a decision to leave and is invigorated by this season's start. The top candidate IMO is still the guy coaching the visiting team that was in town last weekend.

MgoBlog is a nice site, but hardly as reliable or responsible as Spath's site.

Comment

• Originally posted by streaker View Post
      But, I read it on the internet. It has to be true.
      Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

Originally posted by bluevox View Post
        But, I read it on the internet. It has to be true.
        Well, it is if it came from my site...

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
          It's an open posting board that has become a big dog, thus attracting much traffic. Naturally random message board stuff will prove to be of questionable accuracy, as I said there. Just because some random, non-regular commenter posts something on a message board doesn't mean it has any basis in reality. I mean, just look at the garbage I post.

I don't see any realistic scenario where Babcock leaves the League, where he is considered one of the top coaches, to work for less money in small arenas for not-that-many-fewer hours. I suspect any rumors surrounding him are just "game of telephone" rumors where somebody says, "wow, that's Mike Babcock... I wonder if he's interested in coaching here?" and people run with it. The rumors weren't exactly "flying on mgoblog" so much as a thread came up and one or two people posted unfounded theories about it.

Mel hasn't made Tech a conference power or anything, but he has produced some good games there and won a GLI; I'm not sure anybody could really build a consistent NCAA tournament team there anymore. It helps his case that there aren't many obvious choices out there that are natural fits. My theory is that Red encouraged him to take the job for the sake of his career, hinting that it would give him a better shot at replacing Red than being the next-man-up assistant.
          Jesus Saves

Comment

By the way, I'm really grateful that the hockey team is good right now, because... er...
            Jesus Saves

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
              As the Babcock to Michigan rumors are flying on MGoBlog, I have been told by my brother who works in the athletic department that MB is very interested in the job and has met with Dave Brandon about it.
              Not again! His daughter goes to The U., it's really the only time he gets to see her (at Yost).
              Originally posted by alfablue
              Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
              Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
              I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Okay Michigan fans... grab your overalls, it's "Children of the Corn" week. Let's see what we are made of since our last visit to Aromaha.

Comment

okay michigan fans... Grab your overalls, it's "children of the corn" week. Let's see what we are made of since our last visit to aromaha.
                  lol...
                  I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Okay Michigan fans... grab your overalls, it's "Children of the Corn" week. Let's see what we are made of since our last visit to Aromaha.
                    Lolz. Since not being in our conference have the Nomaha fans forgotten their hatred of us? Or are they all to busy posting on their message board and leaving the differing opinions of USCHO behind them?

The Babcock rumors came up at our tailgate Saturday. The response by one individual was, "that rumor comes up on occassion. Why would he leave NHL where he is a top coach for college? Next time you hear someone spread that rumor, kick them in the shins". Which then became a joke all night. Along with Sparty losing to Tech (I was following the hockey score). The running jokes of the night were Tom Anastos, better commissioner or better coach? And Babcock coming to Michigan.

With nothing to do this weekend, I'm somewhat considering driving to Omaha. I haven't been to a game there in about 10 years.
                    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                    7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                      Lolz. Since not being in our conference have the Nomaha fans forgotten their hatred of us? Or are they all to busy posting on their message board and leaving the differing opinions of USCHO behind them?
                      Now, wT, you know that those fans are like elephants. They're still ragging about the call in OT two years ago as some battle cry for this weekend. For the most part, the wild bovine fans have abandoned USCHO for either Mavpuck or Mavmania where they can spin their revisionist stories and roll around in their feverish hatred for Michigoon- minus anyone that dare stands up as a visitor and calls them out on it. Even the remnants of fans left here can't resist it. And of course, I can't resist poking at them for it too.

The Babcock rumors came up at our tailgate Saturday. The response by one individual was, "that rumor comes up on occassion. Why would he leave NHL where he is a top coach for college? Next time you hear someone spread that rumor, kick them in the shins". Which then became a joke all night. Along with Sparty losing to Tech (I was following the hockey score). The running jokes of the night were Tom Anastos, better commissioner or better coach? And Babcock coming to Michigan.
                      The said individual was correct in his evaluation. And I'll kick anyone in the shins myself that suggests that the Spartans actually look for a new hockey coach. Not that they really care, considering they "own" us in the two most important sports on campus.

With nothing to do this weekend, I'm somewhat considering driving to Omaha. I haven't been to a game there in about 10 years.
                      I will also give credit where credit is due. Get with the right crowd out there and they will treat you really well. Funny how a dark room and a computer changes some people...
                      The new arena sounds interesting and the fans do support the team so those are pluses. The 800 mile drive.. not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                        The word from reporters is that Racine has not lost his job, and once he is healthy, he will be back in net. Figure next weekend at UNO.
                        Steve "should" start Saturday night. He's fully healthy now and Zach, who definitely wasn't liable for Friday nights loss, looks like he needs a day off (after a bye-week so that's odd). Zach played OK Friday night at the "Children of the Corn-cob" but he didn't steal anything (credit to streaker for reminding me of that name).

Comment

Tough loss- it lookes like Red's adjustments may have helped the offense a little, but spending that much time on the penalty kill really stopped all of that. It was great to see us get the lead going into the second break, but it looked like the team was tired in the thrid period, based on UNO's speed.

Their third goal was pretty (I missed the tying goal). Hard to see the D just get burned by that easily, but it happened. Zach then seemed to commit early, which left a nice open net.

Oh, well. I'm with Red in thinking that this team ins't quite a #2 team in the nation. The B1G as a whole looks not so strong, too....

Comment

We've had a lot of 1 goal games and I think we are overrated. Most of the games so far this season could have gone either way.

The penalty box parade in the 2nd didn't help, but it was good to see them get past that adversity and take the lead by the end of the 2nd.

Here's hoping we can come away with a split for the weekend.
                            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                            7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Thought that was a pretty evenly matched game last night. I fully expect the Wolverines to come back strong this evening and earn the split - possibly in an ugly blowout. Far and above the best defensive performance the Mavs have played this season. I wouldn't expect that to happen again tonight. Minus the over-generalizing insults to an entire fan base, I happen to like the Michigan following. The history, the championships, the tradition - your fan base has earned the right to have pride. I hope if any of you Wolverines make it down to Omaha or are down here this weekend, that you feel treated well by the local fans. We try to pride ourselves on that - though there are always a few jackballs that ruin it. Hoping for another good game tonight. Good luck Wolverines.
                              If we could extend Blais' contract, that'd be greeeaaatttt

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                                Oh, well. I'm with Red in thinking that this team ins't quite a #2 team in the nation. The B1G as a whole looks not so strong, too....
                                Minnesota and Michigan are the only teams that have done anything. Wisconsin has been brutal, Michigan state is bad and Ohio state is getting exactly what they deserve for firing osiecki

Comment

Working...
                                X