• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Good luck guys. Big pairwise game.
    Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    Good luck from me too. #B1G
    I see what you are trying to do- thinking that if we win, then your PRW will look better... hmm... Can't put that BS past me- I'm a Michigan grad.

Thanks, though. Not sure what really to expect on Thursday. I think the only thing I don't expect is snow on the ground. Other than that- could be a blow out (in either direction), could be super close, no idea. I think it will be a surprise. I do hope (and expect) that Yost will be totally filled- teams like BC always fill the arena. As I expect they will when Minnesota comes in March. Wait, March!?!?!? Why do we have to wait that long? For a team that we have such a historic rivalry with, to wait until the last weekend of the season for our home game pair... ugh.

Comment

Team needs to have some recruiting classes to start panning out.

Since the great class of Pacioretty, Hagelin, Palushaj, Caporusso, etc. of 2007-08, seems like all of the recent ones have been average or below average with fewer players stepping up as leaders.

08-09 - Wohlberg, Czarnik
      09-10 - Treais, K Lynch
      10-11 - Moffatt, Merrill, Bennett
      11-12 - PDG, Guptill, Hyman, Serville
      12-13 - Trouba (1-year), Nieves

The era of 15 and 16 year old commits and greater competition from the OHL has not worked out well for Michigan's offense the last few years. Michigan no longer has players to rely on to go out and score a key goal, the 90's had Felsner/Roberts/Morrison/Mucklat/Comrie, the 2000's had Cammalleri, Hilbert, Tambellini, Hensick, Porter, Palushaj, Hagelin. The 2011-12 and 2012-13 teams did not have go-to-guys, we will see if someone emerges this year. Too many "full" scholarship guys playing 3rd and 4th line roles.

Comment

Originally posted by alnike View Post
        Team needs to have some recruiting classes to start panning out.

Since the great class of Pacioretty, Hagelin, Palushaj, Caporusso, etc. of 2007-08, seems like all of the recent ones have been average or below average with fewer players stepping up as leaders.

08-09 - Wohlberg, Czarnik
        09-10 - Treais, K Lynch
        10-11 - Moffatt, Merrill, Bennett
        11-12 - PDG, Guptill, Hyman, Serville
        12-13 - Trouba (1-year), Nieves

The era of 15 and 16 year old commits and greater competition from the OHL has not worked out well for Michigan's offense the last few years. Michigan no longer has players to rely on to go out and score a key goal, the 90's had Felsner/Roberts/Morrison/Mucklat/Comrie, the 2000's had Cammalleri, Hilbert, Tambellini, Hensick, Porter, Palushaj, Hagelin. The 2011-12 and 2012-13 teams did not have go-to-guys, we will see if someone emerges this year. Too many "full" scholarship guys playing 3rd and 4th line roles.
        Well, can't dispute that too much.

But, I think guys like PDG, Moffatt, Guptill and Hyman WERE brought in for their junior scoring history... and of those guys, only Guptill has emerged. (And because of his constant desire to push Red's buttons, he is sitting.)
        Nieves and Copp look to have emerged as sophomores, both being NHL draftees.
        Now we have the expectations for the USNDT trio (Compher, Allen, Motte) with the other freshmen as TBD.

The rest of the forwards are grinders or as you mentioned, 3-4th line types. Combine that with losing Trouba and Merrill's offense, we are going to have to win more 3-2/ 2-1 games than Michigan fans are accustomed to winning, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
          I see what you are trying to do- thinking that if we win, then your PRW will look better... hmm... Can't put that BS past me- I'm a Michigan grad.

Thanks, though. Not sure what really to expect on Thursday. I think the only thing I don't expect is snow on the ground. Other than that- could be a blow out (in either direction), could be super close, no idea. I think it will be a surprise. I do hope (and expect) that Yost will be totally filled- teams like BC always fill the arena. As I expect they will when Minnesota comes in March. Wait, March!?!?!? Why do we have to wait that long? For a team that we have such a historic rivalry with, to wait until the last weekend of the season for our home game pair... ugh.
          I am a MN fan first...and B1G fan second. Conference PWR gains are a win/win for me. In fact, this is probably the first time I've felt this way about a MI game (and we'll see how long it lasts ). I also wonder about waiting until march. I would have guessed BTN would have preferred a game in early January to kick off the second half. But when late February comes, we should have a pretty intense month or so.
          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
            I am a MN fan first...and B1G fan second. Conference PWR gains are a win/win for me. In fact, this is probably the first time I've felt this way about a MI game (and we'll see how long it lasts ). I also wonder about waiting until march. I would have guessed BTN would have preferred a game in early January to kick off the second half. But when late February comes, we should have a pretty intense month or so.
            I didn't even notice that your games hosting us are not even until February. hmm (edit)- actually, the first game between Michgian and Minnesota isn't until all 4 games with Wisconsin are done with Michigan. hm.

Our normal home-JLA game with State is at it's normal time of Jan, but I do see that they've moved the other home-home weekend from the beginning of the season (in the CCHA) to the end- with that weekend just prior to the home Minny weekend. Kind of loading up the end of the season with hockey rivalries. could work out well. Odd, too, that we have so few home games. Go from over 20 to 18 with a cost increase is going to take some getting used to. Much like the sponsorship for power plays.

Comment

Oh, couple of more notes- we have a new "Head Stenght and Conditioning Coach"- it's odd that he has "Head Coach" as part of the title,
              I believe he's the new coach of "Head-Strength and Conditioning." I guess the team just wasn't headstrong enough.

Comment

So does Michigan usually stream games live online? Because I don't see any links...

If not, are one of you folks technologically advanced enough to stream that random Comcast Channel 900 thing on Justin.TV or something??
                Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Racine let in both goals in the first half of the game, whereas rookie Nagalvoot (sp?) managed to not let any in.
                  Nagelvoort

He looked HUGE but is listed at 6-2, 208

His grandfather is Dr. Paul Gikas, U-M professor emeritus of pathology and former faculty representative (1982-88) for the Athletic Dept.
                  Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
                  Row 1
                  Seats 6 & 7
                  Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

Unfortunately, no streaming of games. I believe it has something to do with the contracts governing broadcast rights. That might all change this year with the B1G Ten network. I think they streamed the exhibition vs. Waterloo on Sunday. Check around on BTN.com.
                    Row 1
                    Seats 6 & 7

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                      But, I think guys like PDG, Moffatt, Guptill and Hyman WERE brought in for their junior scoring history... and of those guys, only Guptill has emerged.
                      I'm going to quibble slightly over that. His freshman season PDG looked awesome. At least until February. On that basis I was looking for a lot more out of him last year than what he delivered.
                      Row 1
                      Seats 6 & 7

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeZ View Post
                        Unfortunately, no streaming of games. I believe it has something to do with the contracts governing broadcast rights. That might all change this year with the B1G Ten network. I think they streamed the exhibition vs. Waterloo on Sunday. Check around on BTN.com.
                        That is incredibly weak... Come on, you guys went to a good school, can't inner if you figure out how to put the tv stream up on Justin.TV?
                        Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                        Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                        Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                          That is incredibly weak... Come on, you guys went to a good school, can't inner if you figure out how to put the tv stream up on Justin.TV?
                          Apparently you went to a school that failed to teach you the difference between "Ability" and "Desire"!
                          Row 1
                          Seats 6 & 7

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                            Tryinh to fill the fringe sections that were continuously empty the past couple years. Hard to say at this point what attendance will look like.
                            Looking across the ice on Sunday I was amazed at the three sections or so that formerly were student seats occupied by people who were obviously not students. There were only two sections at the south end that WERE occupied by students.
                            Row 1
                            Seats 6 & 7

Comment

Originally posted by JoeZ View Post
                              I'm going to quibble slightly over that. His freshman season PDG looked awesome. At least until February. On that basis I was looking for a lot more out of him last year than what he delivered.
                              Quibble away. Last season was a disaster- he was gripping the stick too tight and completely abandoned his defensive responsibilities. He hit the wall the year before after being cut from the Canadian Juniors tryout. Teams scouted him pretty well, take him with the body, not very strong on his skates.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeZ View Post
                                Looking across the ice on Sunday I was amazed at the three sections or so that formerly were student seats occupied by people who were obviously not students. There were only two sections at the south end that WERE occupied by students.

Yeah, well.. it was WATERLOO for an EXHIBITION, Joe. You are talking about a generation of students that arrive late when they decide to come to any sporting event that isn't basketball and, if they show up during the game, they are wearing their PJ's and bringing their pillows- save for a hearty group that always supports the band and are a true representation of the COY. (rant over)

In their only defense, I think the athletic dept has taken the stance that if they don't accept the price for tickets (even as students), all bets are off and they will sell them to any comer.
                                Last edited by streaker; 10-09-2013, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X