Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

Basketball has had the "Big Ten - ACC Challenge" for several years. Now Hockey does it with a "B1G - Hockey East Challenge"!

http://mihockeynow.com/2013/09/big-t...challenge-cup/

Out of the 13 games, Michigan will be playing in four of them.

sparty also gets four, Minnesota gets two, Wisconsin gets two and Penn State gets one.
    From the other side, BC & BU get three. U-Mass, Mass-Lowell and New Hampshire get two each and Vermont gets one.
    Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
    Row 1
    Seats 6 & 7
    Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

Originally posted by JoeZ View Post
      I haven't heard about the total sold as season but they are selling "Pick 6" packages and singles so that tells me they are still down from where they were a few years ago.
      Tryinh to fill the fringe sections that were continuously empty the past couple years. Hard to say at this point what attendance will look like.

Comment

Streaker, do you have an extra ticket for the BU game on 10/25?
        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Guptill suspended? Sorry if this is old news...

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            Guptill suspended? Sorry if this is old news...
            "Off ice issue over the summer"
            "For a game or two"

http://michigan.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1556111
            Row 1
            Seats 6 & 7

Comment

How many rookies score a goal in their very first NHL game?

Jacob Trouba did it last night! A goal AND an assist!

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=684984
              Row 1
              Seats 6 & 7

Comment

Originally posted by JoeZ View Post
                How many rookies score a goal in their very first NHL game?

Jacob Trouba did it last night! A goal AND an assist!

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=684984
                I was watching and that shot was a rocket.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                  I was watching and that shot was a rocket.
                  For your viewing pleasure:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0seKBXXZHPo
                  Last edited by JoeZ; 10-03-2013, 12:01 PM.
                  Row 1
                  Seats 6 & 7

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                    Streaker, do you have an extra ticket for the BU game on 10/25?
                    I can see if the guy next of me can yield one of his- he is usually looking to peddle his extras alot. I am only buying one ticket these days.

As far as Guptill: Another immature move for a guy that should know better by now. Losing him vs. BC is a big blow, but this kid needs to understand. Between him and Clare, the locker room has had enough of the malcontents. Clare seems to be in the good graces again- if he is in a top six blueline position.

Comment

Good thing that the game doesn't count, because that kind of sucked to watch. Not sure what to make of it- normally with the poor passing and shooting, the team still managed to score a few against the Canadian kids. Alas, we just got one, that really wasn't even a shot.

Racine let in both goals in the first half of the game, whereas rookie Nagalvoot (sp?) managed to not let any in. Naturally, sloppy puck handling- it is the first game.

Nobody stood out at all. Copp had a few chances to, but only got the odd deflection in.

So BC will be very iteresting to see on Thursday, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                        Nobody stood out at all. Copp had a few chances to, but only got the odd deflection in.
                        There were times it looked like Bennett was trying to carry the team. At least we know in Copp and Bennett we have leaders that give it there all every shift.

I don't know what to think yet. We'll have to see how all our freshman develop over the season. Was anyone else frightened to see a penalty kill unit of Clare and 3 freshman? They did ok though.

Also, who else was annoyed by the power play sponsorship ad? I guess that's not as bad as the goal horn that is played over the fight song.
                        Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                        wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                        7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Good luck guys. Big pairwise game.
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                            There were times it looked like Bennett was trying to carry the team. At least we know in Copp and Bennett we have leaders that give it there all every shift.

I don't know what to think yet. We'll have to see how all our freshman develop over the season. Was anyone else frightened to see a penalty kill unit of Clare and 3 freshman? They did ok though.
                            Yea, can't really think too much yet- kind of confusing- lots of speed and effort, which was good. Lots of puck slop which isn't, but is typical for this time of year. Clare doesn't bother me as much on the PK as much as he does on the PP. His #1 problem is puck handling- as in he had no idea what to do with it- slow and light passes, odd decisions, etc. By now, one would think he would have figured that out.

Also, who else was annoyed by the power play sponsorship ad? I guess that's not as bad as the goal horn that is played over the fight song.
                            Very much so. Both. Why we need an announced sponsor for PP's is totally beyond me- geez- don't we get enough money from the B1G Network?

Anyway, there's a lot of potential. Again. Wonder if we get to see it all.

Oh, couple of more notes- we have a new "Head Stenght and Conditioning Coach"- it's odd that he has "Head Coach" as part of the title, but our usher mentioned to us that the team were very serious in doing a ton of pre-game exercises. Hmm.... Interesting to see where that one leads us.

Also- DeBlois- you are a senior, right? I'd figure by now you would know which penalty box is for the home team....

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                              Good luck guys. Big pairwise game.
                              Good luck from me too. #B1G
                              @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                              On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                              High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Bennett took the rap on the first goal- "lost his man". The 2nd goal was a 4x2 rush and De Jong didn't tie up the kid who popped the rebound in. Racine and Nagelvoort seemed sharp, although Racine has the same rebound issues he had last season.

Overall, it was a good game to take a nap to since I didn't venture out to Yost. I see our old CCHA crew did the game, although it was good to see Tony Molina back.

Sounds like most of the freshmen got ice time except for Spence Hyman. Clare, DeJong, Bennett, Downing, Lohan and Chiasson got most of the blue line time. I didn't hear Szuma or Serville's name called.

Up front, the only guy I didn't identify with too much ice time was Max Shuart. I didn't see Sinelli on the ice and Guptill is suspended.

Hmmm, 35 shots... plenty of chances but not good chances. No second chance rebounds since Waterloo clogged the middle and forced everything outside. The power play will need work and the PK seemed to be effective.

My first thoughts are, Thursday could be real ugly, especially if the forwards don't work the transition to defense effectively.

Edit: Oh, and as far as the new strength and conditioning coach: I don't know what they did with Jim Plocki, but the new guy is full time who they got from Yale. He does drills on the ice at practice with the team, something Plocki couldn't do. Hopefully it will aid against injuries (groin for one) and stamina.
                                Last edited by streaker; 10-07-2013, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X