Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2013-14 Season Thread: The B1G Time

Any word on Kevin Clare yet? Is he still suspended? If not, any news on his injury?
    Cornell '92, Michigan '97 - Go Red! Go Blue!
    I flex a real hard juice card.

Comment

Alumni game this year?
      Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

Zach Hyman and his brother Spence (incoming freshman D-Man) are playing for Team Canada at the Maccabiah Games in Israel. Josh Richelew is working with Team USA and has posted a lot of photos on his Facebook page. The link to the Team Canada site is

http://www.maccabihockey.com/leagues...leagueID=20665
        The certainties of life...Death, Taxes and bad B1G Referees.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluevox View Post
          Alumni game this year?
          Actually I just bumped into both Jack Johnson and Chris Summers at The Brown Jug. Jack says that the Hockey Showcase is next weekend.
          Originally posted by alfablue
          Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
          Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
          I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Will Compher and Motte play in top 6 to start????

Comment

Reminder to renew your tickets. They are due next wed on the 14th

Comment

Hey there. Anyone know if AJ Treais is playing this year (the Coast, for example)? Thanks.

-Arpod
                Engelwood jack, that's the way.

Comment

Big roster this year - 4 goalies, 9 defensemen and 15 forwards. Gonna be crowded in that area where the players who are not dressed for the game sit . Should make for good competition for playing time and depth for injuries/world jr tourney, etc. Deker Picnic is this Sunday. Looking forward to meeting the new guys.
                  The certainties of life...Death, Taxes and bad B1G Referees.

Comment

Originally posted by umichjim View Post
                    Big roster this year - 4 goalies, 9 defensemen and 15 forwards. Gonna be crowded in that area where the players who are not dressed for the game sit . Should make for good competition for playing time and depth for injuries/world jr tourney, etc. Deker Picnic is this Sunday. Looking forward to meeting the new guys.
                    This weekend? Wow, that comes up fast. I suspect that we will miss yet another- a lot of other things are also this weekend. Not counting that thing in the big stadium on Saturday.

Comment

Wolverines ranked 8th in the one publication's pre-season poll, with UML#1, Miami 2. BC, UND, Irish, Wisconsin and Minnesota also in top 10. Michigan plays BC & UML at Yost this season. The GLI will also feature an all-Michigan team tourney for the next four seasons, with WMU (2013, 16), Ferris and NMU as the 4th invitee.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                        Wolverines ranked 8th in the one publication's pre-season poll, with UML#1, Miami 2. BC, UND, Irish, Wisconsin and Minnesota also in top 10. Michigan plays BC & UML at Yost this season. The GLI will also feature an all-Michigan team tourney for the next four seasons, with WMU (2013, 16), Ferris and NMU as the 4th invitee.
                        Generous considering last year and all of the questions for this season.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                          Generous considering last year and all of the questions for this season.
                          Yes, considering that our defense has lost its best defensive d-man and offensive d-man. Downing is suppose to be a can't miss impact player, but he won't be NHL ready like Trouba- but still can be Merrill effective. It is the rest of the blueliners, less Bennett, that will have to improve (Or in Clare's case, not be a distraction) or play beyond being a freshman. It is still our weak link, unless the goaltending reverts back to last season's first half woes (Racine is the assumed starter with Rutledge gone and a freshman newcomer set to serve as back-up.)

The forwards may be as good or better than the team that actually had the 7th best offense in the country (until it played Notre Dame.) I'm interested in who the odd guys out will be since it sounds like Red is convinced that most of the freshmen will play right away. I'm guessing we'll have a little more offensive pop in our bottom two lines.

My first blush impression with the schedule is that we'll struggle to win 20 games and will still be looking up at Wisconsin and Minnesota this season. (That just gave me acid reflux.)

Comment

• Originally posted by streaker View Post
                            Yes, considering that our defense has lost its best defensive d-man and offensive d-man. Downing is suppose to be a can't miss impact player, but he won't be NHL ready like Trouba- but still can be Merrill effective. It is the rest of the blueliners, less Bennett, that will have to improve (Or in Clare's case, not be a distraction) or play beyond being a freshman. It is still our weak link, unless the goaltending reverts back to last season's first half woes (Racine is the assumed starter with Rutledge gone and a freshman newcomer set to serve as back-up.)

The forwards may be as good or better than the team that actually had the 7th best offense in the country (until it played Notre Dame.) I'm interested in who the odd guys out will be since it sounds like Red is convinced that most of the freshmen will play right away. I'm guessing we'll have a little more offensive pop in our bottom two lines.

My first blush impression with the schedule is that we'll struggle to win 20 games and will still be looking up at Wisconsin and Minnesota this season. (That just gave me acid reflux.)
                            You guys have a pretty impressive freshman class coming in. We're kind of in the same boat (with departures). I think the beginning of the season we'll see some inconsistent play from both our squads, but I think both will be fairly dangerous teams by the end of the year.
                            @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                            On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                            High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                              You guys have a pretty impressive freshman class coming in. We're kind of in the same boat (with departures). I think the beginning of the season we'll see some inconsistent play from both our squads, but I think both will be fairly dangerous teams by the end of the year.
                              Minnesota did lose a ton of junior talent, but has a stable defense and goaltending. That is enough to offset losses up front.

Wisconsin has 22/26 returning, two solid goaltenders and a heralded freshman forward (from Minny) coming in.

Either way, Michigan's problems shouldn't be scoring- I am more concerned about the other end of the ice, especially in a leaguewhere some teams have equal or better talent as they do.

I like the fact that the B1G Ten teams all have tough nc schedules to compliment the conference slate- at least that is my thought at first glance.

Comment

• Originally posted by streaker View Post
                                Minnesota did lose a ton of junior talent, but has a stable defense and goaltending. That is enough to offset losses up front.

Wisconsin has 22/26 returning, two solid goaltenders and a heralded freshman forward (from Minny) coming in.

Either way, Michigan's problems shouldn't be scoring- I am more concerned about the other end of the ice, especially in a leaguewhere some teams have equal or better talent as they do.

I like the fact that the B1G Ten teams all have tough nc schedules to compliment the conference slate- at least that is my thought at first glance.
                                Wisconsin has a lot coming back, but they were 33rd in scoring in the NCAA last year. They got hot at the end of the year (thanks to being healthy but also in large part because they had a cake second half schedule). I'm not 100% sold that they will be any better offensively than Minnesota or Michigan this year. No doubt they will be improved though.

Minnesota and Michigan (like you said) both had some key losses, but both bring in pretty talented freshman classes. Key will be how quickly the young guys adapt and start producing. Looks like Minnesota just lost an incoming freshman defender today, so there is that.

It's going to be a fun and interesting year. I think these three teams will be batteling it out this year and I can't wait!
                                @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                                On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                                High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Working...
                                X