X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

Originally posted by seawolfpunk View Post
    Sounds like the new coaching staff will have to find one more foward as Michael Stenerson has changed his commitment to Vermont according to Heisenberg.
    Dang, that's a big loss. But in the light of all that is happening I can't say I blame him. I think better days are ahead for UAA though.

Edit: Where are you seeing that? It's not on Heisenberg's website yet:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...jMi1PS2c&gid=1
    Last edited by Suze; 04-25-2013, 07:11 PM.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
      Dang, that's a big loss. But in the light of all that is happening I can't say I blame him. I think better days are ahead for UAA though.
      I agree, Anyone who rescinds there commitment after a coach doesn't return never surprises me. Happens in College Football all the time.
      Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

I believe that Stenerson was originally scheduled to come to UAA for the 12/13 season. He was recruited fairly early and had decent numbers for a 1st year junior player but after securing the commitment he barely put up bigger numbers his 2nd season. I imagine Shyiak et al asked him to stay in juniors another year for development after they'd brought in Sam Mellor as an 18 year old and kinda got bitten by that in terms of the player's readiness for D1. So then after waiting the extra season and improving his production dramatically (playing with stud Adam Tambellini) and Shyiak departing ... yeah, he's going looking for greener pastures. He couldn't be sure under a new coach if he'd get whatever Shyiak promised him in terms of scholarship money.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
          I believe that Stenerson was originally scheduled to come to UAA for the 12/13 season. He was recruited fairly early and had decent numbers for a 1st year junior player but after securing the commitment he barely put up bigger numbers his 2nd season. I imagine Shyiak et al asked him to stay in juniors another year for development after they'd brought in Sam Mellor as an 18 year old and kinda got bitten by that in terms of the player's readiness for D1. So then after waiting the extra season and improving his production dramatically (playing with stud Adam Tambellini) and Shyiak departing ... yeah, he's going looking for greener pastures. He couldn't be sure under a new coach if he'd get whatever Shyiak promised him in terms of scholarship money.
          But Vermont? They've had their own coaching dramas in the past year as well, with high a profile player decommitting from their program.
          I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
            But it can get 100 million for a "Museum" who's main attraction is the "sound of the northern lights"? Or it can get another 100 million for an ocean research vessel while it's 400 miles from the nearest ocean? UAF may be the "Land Grant" institution and hence get all the research and science money but the truth is it is slowly becoming the little sister in the system after being the big sister for decades. Deal with it. More students are always going to go to UAA and so from this point forward more money is going to have to be spent there to accommodate the needs of the public ... 40 percent of which lives within 10 miles of it.

Maybe it's because a University with it's own power plant is an anachronism? Throwing good money away on something like that in this day and age would be the height of stupidity. Join the 21st century and connect to the modern power grid along with the rest of the modern world.
            You left out "Space Grant" and "Sea Grant".
            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
              And UAA should get the next $2,500,000,000.00 just to get even. Kind of hard not to approve money already given to you, even, if you are ****ed about it (Alaska Airlines Center).
              It' was your turn buy cheapskate ........ yep they don't want another Chena blamed on them.
              I figured Cobb would just name it after himself.
              “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                You left out "Space Grant" and "Sea Grant".
                don't forget the Electric bus and "Tator Ridge"
                Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

that's a _airbanks thing...........
                  Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                  UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Any of you have an inkling re: which candidate interviewed best? Haven't heard a thing down here yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                      Any of you have an inkling re: which candidate interviewed best? Haven't heard a thing down here yet.
                      Hey Fishman! From here and the ADN, sounds like Corbett is the favorite so far. One things for sure, people haven't talked so much about UAA hockey in a very long time. Is that good or bad?

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

It's good! People are talking about UAA.

I'd probably go for Corbett, too. He has had D-1 success at a school that is severely hamstrung as far as recruiting goes. Maybe he can do the same in Anchorage.

Looks like the best fit to me.
                        Last edited by Fishman'81; 04-26-2013, 02:34 AM.

Comment

An excerpt from this ....

"I’ll see you all next season at the brand new Steve Cobb Memorial Arena and I’ll be hoping (along with 18,000 of you guys) that Coach Glencross can bring what will be another very young team to it’s best potential. My old *** will be right there at center-ice (my new season tickets came in the mail today!).
                          Cheers,

Donald
                          April 9th, 2036"

Comment

Chancellor Case weighs in ...

"I have confidence in Steve Cobb,'' Case said. "What doesn't resonate as well with some hockey people is we're a Division II school and our Division II sports are in the top four percent in the nation.

"That's something I don't take lightly. That says a lot. I was talking to (Great Northwest Athletic Conference commissioner) Dave Haglund recently, and he told me it was OK to share this: In his experience, Steve is probably the best athletic director in the conference.

"That's not compelling to our hockey fans, maybe, but it is to me.''

Still, Case said, he understands hockey, despite faltering attendance, carries a much higher profile than the school's Division II sports.

"I do recognize hockey has a special role,'' he said. "It's part of the culture in Alaska.''

"This is the same way we've hired our other coaches,'' Case said. "We've used robust public forums like we are now, and we've reached out to alumni and the community.''

Case said he has received numerous emails and phone calls critical of Cobb and the process for hiring a new coach, and that he has answered many. He said he has scheduled meetings next week with some former Seawolves hockey players.

"We are trying, and we are listening, and we'll see how things develop,'' Case said. "We've got a lot of positive support for Steve too, and some negative, the majority from the hockey community. We're reaching out, we're hoping people with concerns will continue to attend the forums.''

Case said he believes UAA's administration and its hockey community share a common goal of elevating a moribund hockey program.

"I think we (all) want a vibrant Seawolf hockey program,'' Case said. "We want to be successful, we want a winning team, we want to pack Sullivan Arena.

"How do we get there? The first way is to hire a great coach.''
                            So ...

Comment

Apparently he tweeted it...here's a link to a Vermont site.
                              http://blogs.burlingtonfreepress.com...ey-catamounts/

Comment

Heisenberg's Twitter
                                Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Working...
                                X