X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
    Because the name I'm using on this thread has not been around for thousands of posts, it makes my comments less valid? Sounds to me like you're taking a classic bully position. Bully and negativity many times go hand in hand. If length of time supporting the program stands for validity, I don't recall seeing you at the quanset hut. My guess (only a guess) you don't even know how the quanset hut would figure in the Seawolf program history. But I digress. How about we just ignore the past and try to promote the program going forward? And I don't care if someone joins up halfway through the next season or has promoted the program from its infancy, if you're a UAA fan I'm with you.
    If you're talking about the Quanset Hut on Arctic (I think it's an office supply store now), yes I know what you are referring to.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Suze, I sent an email to your yahoo address. And yes, I'm back in Denver.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
        Suze, I sent an email to your yahoo address. And yes, I'm back in Denver.
        Got it Dave, thanks for the note. I hope you have good memories of your time in Alaska, even if it was more remote than most of us experience.
        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

looks like shyiak isn't the only one gone, sounds like campbell blair is out too. Both coaches bios have been removed from the goseawolves.com website
          Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Originally posted by seawolfpunk View Post
            looks like shyiak isn't the only one gone, sounds like campbell blair is out too. Both coaches bios have been removed from the goseawolves.com website
            That's too bad. Maybe he's going back to Maine? I know those fans sorely want him to come back. Lots of changes, that's not necessarily a bad thing. A new coach may want to bring his own assistant(s) with him, and if Campbell is gone that gives them a chance to do so.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Below are the relevant text sectons from the now listed job opening:

"Duties":
              Responsible for the total organization and administration of the intercollegiate Division I Men's Ice Hockey program. Duties include but are not limited to budget preparation and expenditures, team travel arrangements and practice schedules. Develop and prepare the competition, tournament and travel schedules for the team. Plan, conduct and coach practices, competitions and tournaments, provide technical analysis and instruction; evaluate individual performances during practice and competitions, provide feedback. Insure compliance with all rules and regulations of the NCAA, Western Collegiate Hockey Association (WCHA), and the University.

Direct the search, selection, recruitment and retention of academically and athletically prepared student athletes who will meet academic and athletic expectations of the NCAA, WCHA, the Department of Athletics and the University. Provide a positive atmosphere conducive to the moral, academic and athletic growth of each student athlete. Serve as a mentor to the student athlete to promote success as a student and athlete. Meet with the student athlete on a regular basis to evaluate progress and provide direction. Maintain contact with prospective student athletes via email, telephone, letter.

Hire, train, supervise, and evaluate men's ice hockey coaching staff including assistant coach(es), graduate assistant(s), volunteer assistants and team manager(s).

Oversee and manage fundraising activities, community outreach programs and club activities to promote men's ice hockey as an integral part of the University's goals and the community. Develop and foster effective relationships with the hockey community, Blueliners Booster Club, UAA faculty and staff as well as the print and electronic media. Participate in booster sponsored fundraising activities.

Assist with other duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics.
              "Qualifications":
              Interpersonal; budget; supervisory; diplomacy; fund raising; counseling; motivation; recruiting. In depth knowledge of technical aspects and theory of coaching hockey. In depth knowledge of NCAA and Conference rules and regulations. Knowledge of University requirements and procedures for admission, progress and graduation. Ability to counsel/advise and motivate student athletes to succeed in academics and sports. Knowledge of university personnel, travel and accounting procedures. Substantial coaching theory and expertise in given field. Ability to assess the athletic and academic ability of prospective student athletes. Ability to work evenings, weekends, occasional holidays. Must be able to travel on a regular basis during competitive season and travel less frequently during off-season to recruit.

Bachelor's degree is required, preferably in Physical Education or related field, along with 5 years progressive experience as an NCAA ice hockey coach a majority of which must be at the Division I level. Bachelor's degree is the minimum requirement and standard for all collegiate coaches at the NCAA Division I level.

Master's degree is strongly preferred.

5 years progressive experience as an NCAA ice hockey coach; a majority of which must be at the Division I level. Experience working with budgets. Supervisory experience. Experience with fund raising. Recruiting experience. Experience counseling/advising and motivating student athletes in academics and sports.

Head Coaching experience is preferred.

Comment

Also the deadline for submitting an application is April 12 @ 5pm (Alaska Time)

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                  Also the deadline for submitting an application is April 12 @ 5pm (Alaska Time)
                  Wow, that's only 2 weeks away. Hopefully we'll hear good news sooner rather than later.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

When the Alaska playoff format was changed so the 2 Alaska schools did not automatically have to play each other in the playoffs I read on what i thought was a reliable internet site (if there is such a thing) that to get the change each Alaska school agreed to pay travel expenses for the visiting team. Alabama got tossed into the same boat. Can't remember where I read it however while trying to refind it I came across this:

http://mankatofreepress.com/sports/x...playoff-format

this article does not have as much detail as what I originally read. I believe the original article read "all" travel expenses which I interpreted to mean including meals and hotel, bus to the venue, etc.
                    Anybody else have any info on this?

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      And how many of the juniors and seniors at Minnesota are Hill's recruits? Plenty of guys not coaching anywhere right now that are good coaches. I know of one with five NCAA appearances. Betcha he's got his resume on Cobb's desk right now. Wonder if you can afford the salaries he'd want for himself and his assistants.
                      Craig Dahl?
                      Originally posted by SJHovey
                      Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                      Originally posted by Brenthoven
                      We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

When the Alaska playoff format was changed so the 2 Alaska schools did not automatically have to play each other in the playoffs I read on what i thought was a reliable internet site (if there is such a thing) that to get the change each Alaska school agreed to pay travel expenses for the visiting team. Alabama got tossed into the same boat. Can't remember where I read it however while trying to refind it I came across this:

http://mankatofreepress.com/sports/x...playoff-format

this article does not have as much detail as what I originally read. I believe the original article read "all" travel expenses which I interpreted to mean including meals and hotel, bus to the venue, etc.
                        Anybody else have any info on this?
                        Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...ason_plans.php

Although the conference tournament will retain the Final Five name, its format will change. Only the top 8 schools will play in the first round with the 4 best-of-three winners advancing to the Final Five. The “Alaska Plan,” in which the two Alaska schools were to play each other regardless of where they finished, is no longer an option. Rather, those two and Alabama-Huntsville will pay for first-round travel costs home or away.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Thanks for the link Suze. Not sure if it was this one but my memory being what it is I have to back off the "all" expense thing. I guess if you want to play in their sandbox you have to pay.

Comment

Thanks for the link Suze. Not sure if it was this one but my memory being what it is I have to back off the "all" expense thing. I guess if you want to play in their sandbox you have to pay.
                            What Commissioner Bruce McLeod says is that the Alaskas and Huntsville pay the amount above the other schools most expensive trip. So if a trip to Bowling Green costs a school $10,000 and the trip to Fairbanks costs $30,000, then UAF will pay that school $20,000. Please note, I am just using these numbers for examples and they are not actual figures or estimates.
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

So it looks like George Gwozdecky is looking for a job now....
                              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                              Originally posted by Quizmire
                              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                                So it looks like George Gwozdecky is looking for a job now....
                                Can UAA afford him?

Comment

Working...
                                X