X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University season thread 4: Where BC comes to talk hockey

Originally posted by yuber View Post
    Yes....and then BC couldn't beat the Badgers. But hey, that was a good thing!
    That? That was OK.

What I remember most from that Wisconsin-Colgate game was how I'd never seen a team block so many shots. Those stinkin Badgers were getting in front of EVERYthing.

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    (And can we get some skating cheerleaders . Thanks!)
    And don't use those massive pompons like the Minnesota cheerleaders use; use the little ones like the Q. Less obscuring. Better views.

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
    I frequently wonder why more women don't post here
    No idea.

Bugs Bunny - 96
    Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

On Yale's website it says,

"Keith Allain, the Malcolm G. Chace Head Coach of Men's Ice Hockey, . . . "

That cracked me up. Perfect for an Ivy League school to have an endowed hockey coach position. Named Malcom G. Chace no less! Seems like the coach should be introducing Masterpiece Theater. "Hello, good evening. I'm Keith Allain, the Malcolm G. Chace Head Coach of Men's Ice Hockey at Yale University." //puffs pipe// "Tonight we have something very special for you . . . "
      Bugs Bunny - 96
      Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Originally posted by bantam75 View Post
        > 1977 ECAC Semis vs #1 Clarkson (and York coaching with Tim Taylor). BU scores 3 goals in last 4 minutes of game to win 7-6. Eruzione, Ricky M and Silk go ballistic on the Golden Knights to steal the game and the ECAC title (over UNH 8-6 next night).
        One of the best nights ever! And guess who the coach of that Clarkson team was? And their superstar, Dave Taylor. Also, don't forget the first game, when Bobby Gould scored from inside the blue line 19 seconds into the first overtime to give UNH a wild 10-9 win over Cornell. Had to be the best "doubleheader" I've ever been to in college hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post

That cracked me up. Perfect for an Ivy League school to have an endowed hockey coach position. Named Malcom G. Chace no less! Seems like the coach should be introducing Masterpiece Theater. "Hello, good evening. I'm Keith Allain, the Malcolm G. Chace Head Coach of Men's Ice Hockey at Yale University." //puffs pipe// "Tonight we have something very special for you . . . "
          Probably the type of thing BU should be striving for. If we had more endowments towards athletics, we most likely would not be seeing stuff like the wrestling program being cut.

Comment

• Originally posted by pirate View Post
            So we kinda won the NC? At UNH they'd raise a banner for that.
            It Happened!!!!

Comment

Yup
              Never happened

That cracked me up. Perfect for an Ivy League school to have an endowed hockey coach position.
              FWIW BC's is endowed as well, granted it is anonymous

Comment

• Originally posted by claver2010 View Post

I'm no longer too proud, I'll admit it was me!!

Jerry sits in the Mookie chair for bc hockey
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Tweet from Sunday: #DallasStars Chiasson is 1st player in Stars franchise history (including Minnesota) to score 5 goals in his first 5 NHL games @NHLfantasy
                  It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
                    Huh. Interesting. Wonder how many of these there actually are?

If Yale's is the "Malcolm G. Chace --sniff!-- Head Coach of Men's Ice Hockey," what would BC's be?

Gotta be something like the "Honorable Thomas 'Tommy' Flanaghan / 21st District 'Discretionary Fund' Head Coach of Men's Ice Hockey," or something.

I'm no longer too proud, I'll admit it was me!! Jerry sits in the Mookie chair for bc hockey
                    Never mind.
                    Bugs Bunny - 96
                    Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                      Tweet from Sunday: #DallasStars Chiasson is 1st player in Stars franchise history (including Minnesota) to score 5 goals in his first 5 NHL games @NHLfantasy
                      Now has six in his first six games and is the first to do so since Malkin in 06-07. Six goals on 13 shots.
                      http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9169201
                      The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

If Yale's is the "Malcolm G. Chace --sniff!-- Head Coach of Men's Ice Hockey," what would BC's be?

Gotta be something like the "Honorable Thomas 'Tommy' Flanaghan / 21st District 'Discretionary Fund' Head Coach of Men's Ice Hockey," or something.
                        Yeah, that's the ticket.
                        The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                          Now has six in his first six games and is the first to do so since Malkin in 06-07. Six goals on 13 shots.
                          http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9169201
                          Apparently, he owns Niemi.
                          if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Since nobody asked, I thought I'd give my perspective on the rash of coaching changes. When it was BC/MN/WI/MI/DU/CC/ME/BU in the FF 'every year', there was a status quo in college hockey. 10 programs got the best players, had the best coaches and the rest could hope for a 4 seed in a regional as fodder for a top 10 program. While there were others, the HC/MN game was a crack in that paradigm. It was one of the most noteworthy upsets, despite what we lament as poor coverage, that game was seen by more and reviewed by more than most previous upsets. The bigger the field in the tourney, the more chances for David to win

Then we see Bemidji, Miami and others start to crack into the consciousness, maybe it is possible to compete with the big boys if you try, if being ranked 12th isn't good enough for you...get a good young coach, get enough resources to at least have a decent arena, take advantage of the increase in youth hockey players in places like TN, CA, TX, FL etc. The old pipelines that traditional programs had for recruits no longer account for 100% of the real talent. It isn't that a new team has to only get players from new areas...the widening of the recruiting map means more players fall through the cracks as teams try to cover a bigger area.

The success of these young coaches puts a premium on real recruiting, real leadership and real coaching...not just the biggest payroll team going to the WS every year.

Starts to sound a little like ncaa basketball, more teams have a chance, Gonzaga goes from "Who?" to #1. Butler becomes a consistent factor, George Mason and VCU go from "never heard of 'em" to "we can/can't get their coach to go to the Big10".

So, as much as we wish there was more coverage, the coverage to date is helping expand the field, show the upsets, identify coaches that can be difference makers and demonstrate to AD's that you don't need to sit around with an "OK" coach for 10 years.

Budgets are tight, schools are likely saying "are we really trying to win in hockey or just treading water? Because this hockey team is expensive."

All of this ups the ante for programs and coaches...thus the shorter leash, less credit for past success and more willingness to make a change.

And that is all I have to say about that.
                            I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
                              Since nobody asked, I thought I'd give my perspective on the rash of coaching changes. When it was BC/MN/WI/MI/DU/CC/ME/BU in the FF 'every year', there was a status quo in college hockey. 10 programs got the best players, had the best coaches and the rest could hope for a 4 seed in a regional as fodder for a top 10 program. While there were others, the HC/MN game was a crack in that paradigm. It was one of the most noteworthy upsets, despite what we lament as poor coverage, that game was seen by more and reviewed by more than most previous upsets. The bigger the field in the tourney, the more chances for David to win

Then we see Bemidji, Miami and others start to crack into the consciousness, maybe it is possible to compete with the big boys if you try, if being ranked 12th isn't good enough for you...get a good young coach, get enough resources to at least have a decent arena, take advantage of the increase in youth hockey players in places like TN, CA, TX, FL etc. The old pipelines that traditional programs had for recruits no longer account for 100% of the real talent. It isn't that a new team has to only get players from new areas...the widening of the recruiting map means more players fall through the cracks as teams try to cover a bigger area.

The success of these young coaches puts a premium on real recruiting, real leadership and real coaching...not just the biggest payroll team going to the WS every year.

Starts to sound a little like ncaa basketball, more teams have a chance, Gonzaga goes from "Who?" to #1. Butler becomes a consistent factor, George Mason and VCU go from "never heard of 'em" to "we can/can't get their coach to go to the Big10".

So, as much as we wish there was more coverage, the coverage to date is helping expand the field, show the upsets, identify coaches that can be difference makers and demonstrate to AD's that you don't need to sit around with an "OK" coach for 10 years.

Budgets are tight, schools are likely saying "are we really trying to win in hockey or just treading water? Because this hockey team is expensive."

All of this ups the ante for programs and coaches...thus the shorter leash, less credit for past success and more willingness to make a change.

And that is all I have to say about that.
                              bullseye!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
                                I don't have the facts at hand to support this statement, but my observation is that the US didn't become a perennial contender for international tournament honors such as the WJC and Olympics until the talent net was spread wider to cover the non-traditional hockey areas. Perhaps with the a larger pool of talent, hockey is attracting a better type of athlete rather than just hockey players?
                                if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Working...
                                X